[comp.ai.digest] Animal Behavior and AI

dan@ADS.ARPA (Dan Shapiro) (11/11/87)

I am looking for someone who would be interested in discussing some
ideas that involve both the fields of animal behavior and planning as
a subdiscipline of AI.  My goal is to develop a realistic view of what
planning means to simple animals (at the level of ants for example)
and use that information to motivate planning architectures within AI.
Within this context, my focal point is to look at *errors* in animal
behavior, as when ants build circular bridges out of their own bodies,
and the ones on top simply run themselves to death.  This should give
a sense for the limitations of animal planning and also prevent us
from anthropormorphizing to extremes; the temptation is to view
behavior like the above as goal directed and related to our concept of
"bridge building", when the presence of the error indicates that
something much more primitive is going on.  From the little I have
seen of literature in the behavioral sciences, this type of
projection is fairly common.

In any case, as a first step, I'd like to gather multiple examples of
errors in animal behavior.  If there are any ethologists,
sociobiologists, neuroanatomists, computer scientists or just plain
armchair behaviorists out there who have something to say on this
topic, please contact me.

		Dan Shapiro
		dan@ads.com
		415 941-3912

mps@CS.DUKE.EDU (Michael P. Smith) (11/14/87)

In article <8711110303.AA28544@ADS.ARPA> dan@ADS.ARPA (Dan Shapiro) writes:
> ...  My goal is to develop a realistic view of what
>planning means to simple animals (at the level of ants for example)
>and use that information to motivate planning architectures within AI.
>Within this context, my focal point is to look at *errors* in animal
>behavior, as when ants build circular bridges out of their own bodies,
>and the ones on top simply run themselves to death.

Hofstadter calls such revealing lapses of animal cunning "sphexishness"
after a famous example from Wooldridge.  Chapter 2 of Dennett provides
more philosophical analysis of the phenomenon.

Dennett, Daniel C.  _Elbow Room_, MIT 1984.

Hofstadter, Douglas.  "On the Seeming Paradox of Mechanizing
Creativity," _Scientific American_ (September 1982), reprinted as
chapter 23 of _Metamagical Themas_, Basic Books, 1985.

Wooldridge, Dean.  _The Machinery of the Brain_, McGraw Hill, 1963.

Michael P. Smith	mps@cs.duke.edu / {seismo,decvax}!mcnc!duke!mps

"V. That which a lover takes against the will of his beloved has no relish."
	Andreas Capellanus' "Rules of Love" from _The Art of Courtly Love_

dan@ADS.COM (Dan Shapiro) (08/25/88)

To: ames!comp-ai-digest@ames.arc.nasa.gov
From: Dan Shapiro <zodiac!ads.com!dan@ames.arc.nasa.gov>
Newsgroups: comp.ai.digest
Subject: Animal Behavior and AI
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 88 14:42 EDT
Sender: zodiac!ads.com!news@ames.arc.nasa.gov

Motion control isn't the only area where studying animals has merit.
I have been toying with the idea of studying planning behavior in
various creatures; a reality check would add to the current debate
about "logical forethought" vs. "reactive execution" in the absence of
plan structures.

A wrinkle is that it would be very hard to get a positive fix on an
animal's planning capabilities since all we can observe is their
behavior (which could be motivated by a range of mechanisms).
My thought is to study what we would call "errors" in animal behavior
- behaviors that a more cognizant or capable planning engine would  avoid.

It seems to me that there must be a powerful difference between animal
planning/action strategies and (almost all) current robotic
approaches; creatures manage to do something reasonable (they survive)
in a wide variety of situations while robots require very elaborate
knowledge in order to act in  narrow domains.