[comp.ai.digest] Software Reusability: An Intelligent Approach

nick@ZERMATT.LCS.MIT.EDU (Nick Papadakis) (08/27/88)

Date: Mon, 15 Aug 88 10:59 EDT
From: finin@PRC.Unisys.COM
To: ailist@ai.ai.mit.edu
Subject: Software Reusability: An Intelligent Approach (UNISYS)

	    Software Reusability: An Intelligent Approach

		 Mark A. Simos and James Solderitsch
		    Software Technology Department
		     UNISYS Paoli Research Center

			   GVL-2 Auditorium
		       Unisys Great Valley Labs
		     12:00-1:00, 15 August 1988,

The topic of software reusability has been at the forefront of
software engineering research for quite some time, but as yet has
failed to live up to initial expectations.  Part of the reason for
this failure was early and lingering confusion about the subjects of
software engineering and software reusablity, and the belief that the
proper software engineering methodology, and perhaps even the right
programming language, would naturally and effortlessly lead to the
creation of reusable software.

Recent research has begun to pinpoint the unique issues relating
explicitly to software reusability.  This talk describes a practical
approach to software reuse based on the incremental development of
intelligent libraries of reusable components.  Such libraries, or
repositories, are structured around explicit domain models which are
knowledgebased frameworks providing taxonomic representations of
specific application domains.  These frameworks provide a uniform view
of both static software components and generative capabilities, and
contain tools to actively guide users in browsing among and selecting
existing components, or classifying and qualifying new candidate
components for the repository.

After an introduction to some of the essential issues of software
reusability, we present some background motivation for a
domain-specific focus to reusability.  We next discuss the use of
program generation and knowledge-based techniques that support
domain-specificity and sketch the evolution of the development of a
reuse library based on these techniques.  We close with a description
of our current project that is directed at developing the basic
Reusability Library Framework (RLF) technology necessary for the
development of such domainspecific libraries.

The RLF project is sponsored by the STARS Ada Foundations Technology
program (contract number N00014-88-C-2052).  Specific objectives of
the RLF project include providing a set of knowledge-based components
in Ada that support the creation and maintenance of domain models, and
the development, using this platform, of general library tools for
component testing, qualification and retrieval.