[comp.ai.digest] Speech recognition with neural nets

ayl%hutds.hut.fi@FINGATE.BITNET (Antti Ylikoski) (08/30/88)

Date: Tue, 23 Aug 88 14:32 EDT
From: Antti Ylikoski <ayl%hutds.hut.fi%FINGATE.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU>
To: AIList@AI.AI.MIT.EDU
Subject: Speech recognition with neural nets
cc: ayl@hutds.hut.fi

In AIList Digest V8 #63,
att!chinet!mcdchg!clyde!watmath!watvlsi!watale!dixit@bloom-beacon.mit.edu
(Nibha Dixit) writes:

>Subject: Speech rec. using neural nets

>Is anyody out there looking at speech recognition using neural
>networks? There has been some amount of work done in pattern
>recognition for images, but is there anything specific being done
>about speech?

In the Helsinki University of Technology, in the Department of Technical
Physics, the group of Professor Teuvo Kohonen has been studying the
usage of neural nets for speech recognition for several years.

Professor Kohonen gave a talk on their results in the Finnish AI
symposium in this year.  They have an experimental system which uses a
neural net board in a PC.  I cannot remember whether the paper is
written in English or in Finnish, but should you wish to get the
symposium proceedings, contact

        Finnish Artificial Intelligence Society (FAIS)
        c/o Dr Antti Hautamaeki
        HM & V Research
        Helsinki, Finland

I understand Kohonen's results are comparable to other approaches to speech
recognition.

--- Andy
-