[comp.ai.digest] Not Quite Re: The Ignorant Assumption

sas@BBN.COM (08/30/88)

Date: Fri, 26 Aug 88 09:18 EDT
From: sas@BBN.COM
To: AIList@ai.ai.mit.edu
cc: sas@BBN.COM
Subject: Not Quite Re: The Ignorant Assumption

Gilbert Cockton's comment:

	Admittedly they only murder rival research rather than rival
	researchers.  Stakes don't have to be made from wood :-<

reminded me of a story I read in the letters column of Sky and
Telescope last year.

Apparently, one powerful researcher was dead set against funding a
particular objective lens design and issued a statement that, not only
would he fight funding for the lens, but that he would fight funding
to any individual who so much as put in a good word for it.
Interestingly, Charles Babbage, felt this was a bit unfair and that a
good design shouldn't be put down so arbitrarily and made his
sentiments known.  Sure enough, retribution was swift and funding for
the Analytical Engine was cut off.

Then again, this sort of thing goes on all the time ....

					Seth