[comp.ai.digest] science, religion, rationality

GKMARH@IRISHMVS.BITNET (steven horst) (09/03/88)

Date: Thu, 1 Sep 88 12:24 EDT
To: ailist@ai.ai.mit.edu
From: steven horst <GKMARH%IRISHMVS.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU>
Subject: science, religion, rationality (long)

 Much of the ongoing discussion of rationality, science and religion
 has been of admirably high quality.  Some things, however, just
 cry out for response.  William Wells has taken the lead role as
 religion-bashing gadfly, so it is to his comments that I shall
 address myself. (Professor Minsky's surprisingly shrill _ad hominem_
 has received sufficient attention, I think.)                           e

 Back in V8 #50 of the Digest, Mr. Wells writes:

 >Whether you like it or not, the religious entails something which
 >is outside of reason.

 It isn't clear what he means by reason.  Religion certainly requires
 more than the rules for deduction in the predicate calculus, and
 probably more than any empirical method one might think adequate for
 the physical sciences.  I.e., it requires more than reasonING.
 Of course it is quite a different thing to say that religious belief
 cannot be reasonABLE.  Practically none of our beliefs are truths of
 logic, and we believe all kinds of things that we do not subject to
 double blind tests or measure with instruments. (Am I unreasonable
 in believing that my parents care about me?  A paranoiac could find
 alternative interpretations for all of their behaviors.  But ONLY
 someone with grave problems would require rigorous empirical tests.)
 The rationality of ANY kind of belief is a tricky thing to analyze.
 (Epistemologists have an almost perverse love for bizarre scenarios
 in which some belief we would normally consider to be aberrant would
 turn out to be perfectly reasonable.)  Yet Mr. Wells seems to treat
 "reason" as some well-established and commonly-agreed-to set of
 principles which have some special connection with another monolithic
 entity of great prestige called "science".  Having spent some deal
 of time around people who spend most of their time thinking about
 epistemology and the history and philosophy of science, I find
 it hard to think of more than one or two of them who share his view.
 (Though this sort of Enlightenment mythos is admittedly very
 widespread in contemporary Western cultures.)  A number of fine
 philosophers of science are, however, practicing Jews (e.g. Shimony)
 and Christians (e.g., van Frassen, McMullin, Quinn), and not doubt
 other religious traditions are represented among them as well.

 But perhaps Mr. Wells merely means to argue against proponents of
 "natural theology" (the attempt to deduce God's existence and
 attributes from observations of the world), and against those who
 believe that religion can proceed wholly upon the deliverances of
 reason.  (Kant argued to this effect.)  Sufis, Thomists, fundamentalis ts
 and many others would agree that more than reason and observation
 of the physical world are needed.  Some candidates for the "more" are
 (a) personal religious experience, or (b) trust in some authority
 (usually grounded in someone else's especially intense religious
 exprerience), or (c) some special "sense" which is attuned to
 apprehending matters divine. (All of these have parallels in other
 areas of human knowledge.)  But Mr. Wells goes further.  In
 V8 # 72 he decries "revealed knowledge".  Responding to post, he says

 > Note the confusion in this individual: he talks about "revealed
 > knowledge" as if it had some relationship to knowledge; however,
 > there is *no* relationship.  By what means do I distinguish this
 > "revealed knowledge" from an LSD overdose?  If I am to depend
 > wholly on divine revalation, then I know *nothing*.  If not, then
 > I must reject "revealed knowledge" in favor of evidence.

 I'm not sure I see a cut-and-dried distinction here.  It seems to
 me that people who have vivid religious experiences have good reason
 to believe things on the basis of them. (They may also have reason
 to reassess their mental health.) Beliefs based on hallucinations
 are not necessarily unreasonable, even if they are false.  It isn't
 the reasoning that has gone awry but the input system.  Since I don't
 see any reason to rule by fiat that religious experiences MUST be
 hallucinatory, it doesn't seem absurd to suppose that
 beliefs based on religious experience COULD be true AND reasonably
 arrived at AND arrived at through a dependable process.
 There are, of course, special difficulties with evidence that is
 not repeatable or public, and this would be a very real difficulty
 if we had to do science by trusting someone's mystical insights.
 But of course we routinely trust other people's reports of what
 they have seen and heard - individual events are by nature not
 repeatable - and the kinds of doubt we might have about another
 person's religious experiences also arise for any experiences he
 reports that are very different from our own.  There can be no
 question of rigorous tests of most religious claims along the lines
 of the tests performed to confirm or disconfirm a scientific theory
 because religious claims, unlike the most familiar paradigms of
 scientific claims but like the great bulk of our beliefs, are not
 about universal laws ranging over classes of physical phenomena.
 This isn't evidence against the truth of religious claims.  Indeed,
 it is quite consonant with the way most religious traditions view
 their own claims.

 Now I agree that science is probably best off when not bound by
 the fetters of some particular religiously inspired cosmology.
 (Arguably religion is better off when it abstains from too much
 cosmology as well, and arguably science is better off once one
 becomes aware of dangerous basic assumptions, such as the
 assumption that space MUST be Euclidean, or that theories in the
 special sciences must be reducible to theories in the proprietary
 vocabulary of physics, or that all theories must be expressible
 as universally quantified sentences in Principia logic.)  But
 surely it is a bit rash for Mr. Wells to say:

 >Science, though not scientists (unfortunately), rejects the
 >validity of religion: it requires that reality is in some sense
 >utterly lawful, and that the unlawful, i.e. God, has no place.

 First, I take it that science is a practice, and hence cannot
 literally accept or reject anything. (Though if one were to
 reject something, one would do well to reject the attribution of
 validity to anything other than a proof or argument.)  But
 the assumption of the lawfulness of nature is more the WORKING
 ASSUMPTION of the sciences than some PRINCIPLE upon which science
 is predicated.  Lots of physicists DON'T believe that all physical
 events can be subsumed under universal laws.  (At least if I've
 been listening carefully enough at conferences on cosmology and on
 quantum theory.) But suppose that there is some measure of anomic
 behavior in the universe - that wouldn't vitiate the success of
 most scientific achievements.  It would at most impose a limit upon
 the scope of scientific inquiry.  Similarly, a God who is not
 a part of a deterministic universe would fall outside of the scope
 of science.  Who claimed otherwise?  Certainly not orthodox Jews,
 Christians or Moslems.  (I suspect the whole issue is different
 with Eastern religions.)  The claim that an ideally completed
 physics could tell us EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING is at best a
 cosmological speculation.  (Certainly not verifiable - lots of
 events we can't test!)  It is no refutation of any religious
 cosmology, just an old-fashioned disagreement.

 And why is it unfortunate that many scientists believe in a god
 or practice some form of religion?  They didn't seem to think it
 was hurting them.  Did it hurt their ability to perform as
 scientists?  Well, Aristotle, Descartes, Darwin, Leibniz, and
 Einstein (to name a handful) seem to have done pretty well. (And
 since this is an AI newsletter, perhaps we should add Alonzo Church
 to the list as well.)

 Finally, Mr. Wells describes his view as

 > all elementary philosophy, to which religion seems to have
 > blinded that author.

 Elementary philosophy?  Perhaps.  But only in the sense that the
 Greeks who believed that solid objects fall because the Earth in
 them is seeking its own level were doing "elementary physics."

            Steven Horst      gkmarh@irishmvs.bitnet
            Department of Philosophy
            Notre Dame, IN  46556
            219-239-7458