[comp.ai.digest] theistic arguments

CMENZEL@TAMLSR.BITNET (09/03/88)

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 88 12:54 EDT
From: CMENZEL%TAMLSR.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU
Subject:  theistic arguments
To: ailist@ai.ai.mit.edu

In a recent AIList number, T. William Wells writes of the argument from
design:

> This argument goes: "the universe appears to have been
> designed, therefore there was a designer.  I shall call it god."
> How silly!  In its refined form, this argument posits god as a
> "primary cause": this makes god "beyond" natural law, as an
> explanation for natural law.  It is trivially refuted by pointing
> out that it begs the question.  (If the universe requires a
> cause, why shouldn't god require a cause?  And if not, why
> presume god anyway?)

Wells is confusing two traditional theistic arguments here.  The first is the
argument from design, or teleological argument, which traces its origins
primarily to Paley in (if I recall) the early 18th century.  The second is the
the cosmological argument, which goes back in its best known forms to Aquinas.
The teleological argument is more or less as Wells reports, though he doesn't
sufficiently emphasize the role of *explanation* in the argument; the idea is
that the amazing precision, detail, and apparent *purpose* (hence the name
"teleological argument") exhibited in the natural order can only reasonably be
explained by a rational designer, just as (Paley argues) it would be
unreasonable to suppose an intricate watch found in the desert had no designer.

Wells does less justice to the cosmological argument, which in its strongest
form argues not from the idea that anything that exists requires a cause, which
would then be open to Wells' trivial refutation, but from the *contingency* of
the universe.  The idea is that since everything in the physical universe is
contingent, i.e., might not have existed, the universe itself is contingent
(possible fallacy of composition here, but never mind).  A contingently
existing thing requires some sort of explanation for its existence, some reason
for why it exists rather than not.  The only possible explanation (so the
argument goes) is that its existence must be rooted in a *necessary* being, a
being whose nature it is to exist and hence which doesn't require a cause. It
is a further step of course to say that this being has to be God as usually
understood.

I'm not saying it's a *good* argument, just a lot better than Wells would
have it.

--Chris