[comp.ai.digest] Can we human being think two different things in parallel?

ken@aiva.edinburgh.ac.UK (Ken Johnson) (08/25/88)

From: Ken Johnson <ken%aiva.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSS.Cs.Ucl.AC.UK>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 88 06:42 EDT
Newsgroups: comp.ai.digest
Subject: Re: Can we human being think two different things in parallel?
Apparently-To: ailist@stripe.sri.com

In a previous article, Youngwhan Lee writes:
>Date: Sun, 14 Aug 88 16:54 EDT
>From: Youngwhan Lee <ywlee@p.cs.uiuc.edu>
>To: ailist-request@stripe.sri.com
>Subject: Can we human being think two different things in parallel?
>
>Can we human being think two different things in parallel?

I think most people have had the experience of suddenly gaining insight
into the solution of a problem they last deliberately chewed over a few
hours or days previously.  I'd say this was evidence for the brain's
ability to work at two or more (?) high-order tasks at the same time.
But I look forward to reading what Real Psychologists say.

From:    Ken Johnson (Half Man Half Bicycle)
Address: AI Applications Institute, The University, EDINBURGH
Phone:   031-225 4464 ext 212
Email:   k.johnson@ed.ac.uk

robinson@PRAVDA.GATECH.EDU (Steve Robinson) (08/25/88)

To: comp-ai-digest
From: Steve Robinson <robinson@pravda.gatech.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.ai.digest
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 88 13:41 EDT
Sender: news@gatech.edu

For those of you following Lee's, Hayes' and Norman's postings on
"parallel thinking" there is a short paper in this year's Cognitive
Science Society's Conference proceedings by Peter Norvig at UC-Berkeley
entitled "Multiple Simultaneous Interpretations of Ambiguous Sentences"
which you may find pertinent.  The proceedings are published by LEA.
Since the conference was last week, it may be a while until they are
availble elsewhere.  I heard Norvig's presentation and found it interesting.

Regards,
Stephen

hartung@NPRDC.ARPA (Jeff Hartung) (08/27/88)

To: comp-ai-digest@ucsd.edu
From: Jeff Hartung <hartung@nprdc.arpa>
Newsgroups: comp.ai.digest
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 88 10:39 EDT
Sender: news@nprdc.arpa

In a previous article, Ken Johnson writes:
>>Can we human being think two different things in parallel?
>
>I think most people have had the experience of suddenly gaining insight
>into the solution of a problem they last deliberately chewed over a few
>hours or days previously.  I'd say this was evidence for the brain's
>ability to work at two or more (?) high-order tasks at the same time.
>But I look forward to reading what Real Psychologists say.

The above may demonstrate that the brain can "process" two jobs
simultaneously, but is this what we mean by "think"?  If so, this still
doesn't demonstrate adequately that parallel processing is what is
going on.  It may be equally true that serial processing on several
jobs is happening, only some processing is below the threshold of
awareness.  Or, there may be parallel processing, but with a limited
number of processes at the level of awareness of the "thinker".

On the other hand, if we take "thinking" to mean an activity which the
"thinker" is aware of, at least in that it is going on, then there is
strong evidence that there is only limited capacity to attand to
multiple tasks simultaneously, but there is no final conclusion on this
ability as far as I know.  Many studies in the ability to attand to
multiple tasks or perceptual stimuli simultaneously are still being
done.

--Jeff Hartung--
 ARPA - hartung@nprdc.arpa   hartung@sdics.ucsd.edu
 UUCP - !ucsd!nprdc!hartung   !ucsd!sdics!hartung

tlohrbe@pacsbb.UUCP (trevor lohrbeer) (09/05/88)

From: trevor  lohrbeer <temvax!pacsbb!tlohrbe@bpa.bell-atl.com>
Newsgroups: comp.ai.digest
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 88 22:31 EDT

In another article, Ken Johnson says:
>> Can we human being think two different things in parallel?
>
>I think most people have had the experience of suddenly gaining insight in
>into the solution of a problem they last deliberately chewed over a few
>hours or days previously.  I'd say this was evidence for the brain's abili
>ability to work at two or more (?) high-order tasks at the same time.
>But I look forward to reading what Real Psychologists say.

>The above may demonstrate that the brain can "process" two jobs
>simultaneously, but is this what we mean by "think"?  If so, this still
>doesn't demonstrate adequately that parallel processing is what is
>going on.  It may be equally true that serial processing on several
>jobs is happening, only some processing is below the threshold of
>awareness.  Or, there may be parallel processing , but with a limited
>number of processes at the level of awareness of the "thinker".

I think the problem does indeed lie in what we mean by "thinking". But
if we define thinking in terms of working out a Xdefinit solvab problem,,
such as working out a math problem (a large one consisting of say m
multiplying two three digit numbers, not something that can be recalled fro
memory), and also append the notion that one must be consiously thinking it
for it to be "thinking", then the problem is solvable.

To solve it, try to do the problem.  Try for example multiplying 356 x 674
and 965 x 3124, at the same time.  T A way to be pretty sure that you are
figuring out the problem serially, is to see if you come out with the
answers to both problems at the same time.  Try to do it and you'll find
that even for a mathematical wizard, it is impossible to work out the two
problems simultaneously, if done at the consious level.

At the unconcious level though, it is possible to think in parallel.  Take
an instance of walking and talking at the same time.  The brain must send m
messages to the legs, mouth, heart, and many other muscles, all at the same
time.  It must also intake the senses of touch (for balance), of vision (to
see where your going), and sometimes smell.  It then has to analyze it all
while still keeping all the muscles moving and intaking more data.  So at
the unconcious level, the number of things able to be done in parallel
become innumerable.

Trevor Lohrbeer