[comp.ai.digest] Newell's Knowledge Level

IT21@SYSB.SALFORD.AC.UK (09/03/88)

Date: Thu, 1 Sep 88 12:36 EDT
From: IT21%SYSB.SALFORD.AC.UK@MITVMA.MIT.EDU
To: ailist@AI.AI.MIT.EDU
Subject:  Newell's Knowledge Level

From: Andrew Basden, I.T. Institute, University of Salford, Salford.

Please can anyone help clarify a topic?

In 1982 Allen Newell published a paper, 'The Knowledge Level' (Artificial
Intelligence, v.18, p.87-127), in which he proposed that there is a level
of description above and separate from the Symbol Level.  He called this
the Knowledge Level.  I have found it a very important and useful concept
in both Knowledge Representation and Knowledge Acquisition, largely
because it separates knowledge from how it is expressed.

But to my view Newell's paper contains a number of ambiguities and
apparent minor inconsistencies as well as an unnecessary adherence to
logic and goal-directed activity which I would like to sort out.  As
Newell says, "to claim that the knowledge level exists is to make a
scientific claim, which can range from dead wrong to slightly askew, in
the manner of all scientific claims."  I want to find a refinement of it
that is a bit less askew.

Surprisingly, in the 6 years since the idea was introduced there has
been very little discussion about it in AI circles.  In psychology
circles likewise there has been little detailed discussion, and here the
concepts are only similar, not identical, and bear different names.  SCI
and SSCI together give only 26 citations of the paper, of which only four
in any way discuss the concepts, most merely using various concepts in
Newell's paper to support their own statements.  Even in these four there
is little clarification or development of the idea of the Knowledge
Level.

So I am turning to the AILIST bulletin board.  Has anyone out there any
understanding of the Knowledge Level that can help in this process?
Indeed, is Allen Newell himself listening to the board?

Some of the questions I have are as follows:

1.  Some (eg. Dennett) mention 3 levels, while Newell mentions 5.  Who is
'right' - or rather, what is the relation between them?

2.  Newell says that logic is at the Knowledge Level.  Why?  I would have
put it, like mathematics, very firmly in the Symbol Level.

3.  Why the emphasis on logic?  Is it necessary to the concept, or just
one form of it?  What about extra-logical knowledge, and how does his
'logic' include non-monotonic logics?

4.  The definition of the details of the Knowledge Level is in terms of
the goals of a system.  Is this necessary to the concept, or is it just
one possible form of it?  There is much knowledge that is not goal
directed.

Alexander et. al. and Clancey both question Newell's adherence to logic
and goals, but do not discuss the case.  Can anyone shed any light?  I
have further questions, which I will put directly to some of those who
reply.  Or (please tell me) should I put them on the board?  And would
anyone like a summary from me of my findings?

Thank you, in advance.

Andrew Basden

Information Technology Institute, University of Salford, Salford, UK.
JANET: abasden@uk.ac.salf.b
Phone: (44) 61 736 5843 x510;  Telex: 668680 (Sulib);
Fax: (44) 61 745 7808

jbn@GLACIER.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) (09/05/88)

To: comp-ai-digest@decwrl.dec.com
From: John B. Nagle <jbn@glacier.stanford.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.ai.digest
Subject: Re: Newell's Knowledge Level
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 88 11:06 EDT

      Much the same idea has been referred to as "deep understanding" by
the rule-based knowledge representation people.  The term "deep structure"
is sometimes used by those working on natural language understanding.  In
both cases, the limitations of the superficial representations in use today are
being recognized.   The remark "Mycin doesn't know about bacteria" dates
from the previous decade, but is still applicable.  Many critics of AI,
from Weitzenbaum to Dreyfus, have noted this problem, which some refer to
as the "knowledge representation problem".  This is a key unsolved problem
in AI.  A recent posting here by McCarthy indicates that he considers it
the key unsolved problem, and that effort should be directed toward the
development of a formal language suitable for the representation of
"deep understanding" of the real world.

      I have not heard of any system where "deep understanding" or "deep
structure" or a "knowledge level" were implemented in any general way.
In a very few systems, always ones where the underlying domain is formalizable,
there is some notion of deep understanding.  Eurisko (Lenat) comes close.
When people use these terms, they are usually talking about the parts of the
problem for which no useful approaches are known.

					John Nagle

mohan@BOC.RUTGERS.EDU (Sunil Mohan) (09/05/88)

To: comp-ai-digest@paul.rutgers.edu
From: Sunil Mohan <mohan@boc.rutgers.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.ai.digest
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 88 11:53 EDT

The Knowledge Based Software Development Environment  (KBSDE) group at
Rutgers  University are  strong believers  in  the  separation of  the
specification of  knowledge  from the  specification of  its   use.  I
believe that  that  is the  underlying theme of    Newell's "Knowledge
Level".  Marr has also talked about  the specification of a  system in
different   levels, separating     knowledge    from   algorithm  from
implementation. This allows a partitioning of the concerns involved in
developing  a system. As  a simple  example, it   allows one to decide
whether inability to  solve a particular problem   is  due to  lack of
knowledge or an  inherently `incomplete'   algorithm  that uses   that
knowledge. Describing your research along these  levels will also help
you and the reader decide where the contribution lies. See for example
the paper "Learning At The Knowledge Level" by Dietterich (I think).

How many levels you choose to have depends entirely  on how finely you
wish to partition your concerns. There is no "right" partitioning. The
eventual aim is clarity.

As far as logic  belonging at the Knowledge Level  is concerned, in so
far as logic is used as  a declarative specification of knowledge, and
its implications, that is the purpose  of the knowledge level. I would
tend to think that logic may also be  used to specify the algorithm at
the symbol level, thus allowing the capability  of reasoning about the
algorithm.

I don't know  what you mean by  "extra-logical". Could  you perhaps be
taking the  terms too literally?  Remeber that the  Knowledge Level in
itself  is not  interesting.  It  is  interesting  because  of what it
achieves  (viz. clarity,   focussing  attention).  Logic   is   just a
specification and  reasoning device. Any  form of logic should  do, so
long as you are aware of its capabilities and limitations.

_
Sunil