[comp.ai.digest] science, lawfulness, a

gordon@stats.ucl.ac.UK ("Gordon Joly, Statistics, UCL") (08/23/88)

To: AIList <@ESS.Cs.Ucl.AC.UK:AIList@ai.ai.mit.edu>
cc: gordon%stats.ucl.ac.uk@ESS.Cs.Ucl.AC.UK, YLIKOSKI%finfun.bitnet@ESS.Cs.Ucl.AC.UK,
    ALHQC <@ESS.Cs.Ucl.AC.UK,@earn-relay.ac.uk:ALHQC@cunyvm.bitnet>, harvey <@ESS.Cs.Ucl.AC.UK:harvey@acf4.nyu.edu>
Subject: Re: science, lawfulness, a (the?) god (V8 #61)
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 88 06:39 EDT
From: "Gordon Joly, Statistics, UCL" <gordon%stats.ucl.ac.uk@ESS.Cs.Ucl.AC.UK>

> From: <YLIKOSKI%FINFUN.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU>
> I would say that a God needs not be unlawful.  A counterexample of
> some kind could be a line by Einstein: I think he said that the
> regularity of the structure of the universe reflects an intellect.  (I
> cannot remember the exact form of the quotation, but I think the idea
> was this.)
> --- Andy

If I may be permitted to attempt a second approximation, Einstein said:
"What really interests me, is the question of whether God had a *choice*
in the design of the universe". I guess this encompasses all "things",
including the human mind, no doubt.

Gordon Joly.

cwp@otter.hple.hp.COM (Chris Preist) (08/23/88)

To: comp-ai-digest@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
From: Chris Preist <cwp@otter.hple.hp.com>
Newsgroups: comp.ai.digest
Subject: Re: science, lawfulness, a (the?) god
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 88 05:10 EDT

Are you by any chance thinking of -

	" God does not play dice. " - A.Einstein

In which case, he did not use it in the context you suggest. He actually
is using the existence of God to 'disprove' the validity of quantum
mechanics.

i.e.    God exists & God is omnipotent
                   -> God isn't into probablistic structures over which
                      it/she/he has no control
                   -> Quantum mechanics is wrong

Chris

sas@BBN.COM (08/25/88)

Date: Tue, 23 Aug 88 10:06 EDT
From: sas@BBN.COM
To: AIList@ai.ai.mit.edu
cc: sas@BBN.COM

I think people are getting a bit confused on this one.

Religion is centered around the human soul which in many religions
can be characterized as damned, saved, pure, untested, tainted and so
on.  In Western religions, which are largely guilt based, it is used
to assign human thoughts and actions a place on a good/evil or
moral/immoral scale.

Science is centered around the testable world.  Various statements
about phenomena are assigned values on the true/false scale, in which
truth is determined by testing the statements predictive value, the
predictions being tested by active experiment or passive observation.

To my knowledge there is no scientific litmus test which can determine
the good or evil of a particular thought of action.  Beeckman does not
make a scale to weigh one's soul against a feather.  (Actually, the
popular American view of the afterlife is surprisingly
NON-judgemental)!  The story of Job can even be viewed as a tract
denouncing the attempt to apply human reason to matters religious.

One might expect, given the powers ascribed to the almighty(ies), that
religious law would be more or less self enforcing.  Notice the
difference between the following two sets of taboos:

- Don't eat amanitus bolitus.	- Don't hit yourself with a stick.
- Don't eat human flesh.	- Don't hit other people with a stick.

To keep people from eating human flesh and hitting other people with
sticks, people need some form of government, which is ruled not by
science, not by religion, but by politics.

Will a big enough fire kill a man?  Will the atom bomb explode?
That's science.

Did Bruno reach Nirvana?  Is Truman rotting in hell?  That's religion.

Should we burn people at the stake for heresy?  Should we drop the
bomb on Japan?  That's politics.

					Seth

P.S. I can't help adding for you movie buffs, "When a ghost and a king
meet and everyone ends up mincemeat. That's entertainment."

bill@proxftl.UUCP (T. William Wells) (08/30/88)

To: novavax!uflorida!comp-ai-digest
From: T. William Wells <proxftl!bill@bikini.cis.ufl.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.ai.digest
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 88 22:22 EDT

In a previous article, YLIKOSKI@FINFUN.BITNET writes:
: In AIList Digest   V8 #54, T. Michael O'Leary <HI.OLeary@MCC.COM>
: presents the following quotation (without mentioning who originally
: wrote it):

: >     >Science, though not scientists (unfortunately), rejects the
: >     >validity of religion: it requires that reality is in some sense
: >     >utterly lawful, and that the unlawful, i.e. god, has no place.

I did.

: I would say that a God needs not be unlawful.  A counterexample of
: some kind could be a line by Einstein: I think he said that the
: regularity of the structure of the universe reflects an intellect.  (I
: cannot remember the exact form of the quotation, but I think the idea
: was this.)

"Lawful" does not mean "following, by choice, law", rather, it
means: "constrained by law".  However, religion posits "god" or
"the absolute" or what have you as that which is beyond, above,
determines, flouts, or whatever adjective you like, natural law.
This is essential to religion.

And the "quotation" from Einstein does not serve as a
counterexample; it is just a restatement of the argument from
design.  This argument goes: "the universe appears to have been
designed, therefore there was a designer.  I shall call it god."
How silly!  In its refined form, this argument posits god as a
"primary cause": this makes god "beyond" natural law, as an
explanation for natural law.  It is trivially refuted by pointing
out that it begs the question.  (If the universe requires a
cause, why shouldn't god require a cause?  And if not, why
presume god anyway?)

---

While I am wasting bandwidth religion-trashing, I'll share some
E-mail I received the other day.  I will include the text of it
here, but I am stripping out the identifying marks so as to not
further embarrass the author.

: You are offbase in your premise. Religion (for lack of a much better term)
: is *not* based on that which is unknowable.  It is simply that it is based
: on revealed knowlede/information from God.

Note the confusion in this individual: he talks about "revealed
knowledge" as if it had some relationship to knowledge; however,
there is *no* relationship.  By what means do I distinguish this
"revealed knowledge" from an LSD overdose?  If I am to depend
wholly on divine revalation, then I know *nothing*.  If not, then
I must reject "revealed knowledge" in favor of evidence.  This is
all elementary philosophy, to which religion seems to have
blinded that author.

:                                            This knowlede transcends human
: intellect and is not deducible via human intellect.

This translates to: "this knowledge is unknowable".

:                                                      This should not present a
: problem for you as Quantuum Mechanics has demonstrated that the Universe does
: not operate via a human understandable system of logic.

And this is simple ignorance. Not to mention self-contradictory.

---

This individual has managed to illustrate in one very short note
*exactly* why religion has *no* place in scientific discussion:
the use of religion perverts reasoning by substituting "revealed
knowledge" for evidence, requires the unknowable as part of
reasoning, and uses ignorance as its justification.

---
Bill
novavax!proxftl!bill

pluto%beowulf@UCSD.EDU (Mark E. P. Plutowski) (09/03/88)

To: comp-ai-digest@ucsd.edu
From: Mark E. P. Plutowski <pluto%beowulf@ucsd.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.ai.digest
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 88 18:37 EDT
Sender: nobody%sdcsvax@ucsd.edu

Regarding this quote from a previous posting:

>  ...the "quotation" from Einstein ...is just a restatement of...
>  the argument... [that goes something like this:]
>  ..."the universe appears to have been
>  designed, therefore there was a designer.  I shall call it god."
>  How silly!  In its refined form, this argument posits god as a
>  "primary cause": this makes god "beyond" natural law, as an
>  explanation for natural law.  It is trivially refuted by pointing
>  out that it begs the question.  (If the universe requires a
>  cause, why shouldn't god require a cause?  And if not, why
>  presume god anyway?)

God didn't design the universe, God is the universe.
Therefore, God is everywhere (just like Elvis ;-} )  and everything
is God, including you and me.  Very simple.

If you accept this philosophy, then it is easier to accept the belief
that AI is plausible, since by the same token, intelligence doesn't
"cause" a being (or mechanism) to behave intelligently,
intelligence is the behavior, and hence, the being (and/or mechanism)
itself.  Therefore, hope springs eternal that this "intelligence"
is not some elusive spirit or ether; and can be studied
rationally.

At the same time, since intelligence is the whole
behavior, decomposing the behavior into its parts is only a part
of the solution to understanding it, just as separating God from
the universe (creating a separate entity called God)
can inhibit you from passing thru the proverbial "eye of the needle,"
and understanding your particular universe.

Mark Plutowski				INTERNET: pluto%cs@ucsd.edu
Department of Computer Science, C-014   	  pluto@beowulf.ucsd.edu
University of California, San Diego     BITNET:	  pluto@ucsd.bitnet
La Jolla, California 92093   		UNIX:{...}!sdcsvax!beowulf!pluto
Listen to your surroundings and your self, instead of Jimmy Swaggert.

ejs@orawest.SRI.COM (e john sebes) (09/03/88)

To: pyramid!decwrl!comp-ai-digest@decwrl.dec.com
From: e john sebes <sri-unix!orawest.SRI.COM!ejs@decwrl.dec.com>
Newsgroups: comp.ai.digest
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 88 14:41 EDT

I'd like to respond to a few of things that T. William Wells has been
writing lately about that good ole hobby-horse "science and religion".

In a previous article, T. William Wells writes:
>: >     >Science, though not scientists (unfortunately), rejects the
>: >     >validity of religion: it requires that reality is in some sense
>: >     >utterly lawful, and that the unlawful, i.e. god, has no place.
>"Lawful" does not mean "following, by choice, law", rather, it
>means: "constrained by law".  However, religion posits "god" or
>"the absolute" or what have you as that which is beyond, above,
>determines, flouts, or whatever adjective you like, natural law.
>This is essential to religion.

It is erroneous to say that "religion" requires belief any particular idea.
*Some* religions require belief in *some* particular ideas.
Specifically, the western, theistic religions Mr. Wells is familiar with
(to the exclusion of all others, apparently) does include belief in God,
with those attributes Mr. Wells mentioned. But this is *absolutely not*
essential to religion in general, or to all particular religions.

A further point is that there are several theistic religious attitudes
which in no way entail any notion about a God acting in the physical
universe which scientists take as their puview. The "watchmaker" God of late
18th century European thought is probably the best known example to
netters; God made the universe, set it going, and enjoys the show.
Ah, Mr. Wells will say, but God *could* then act in the universe, but
just doesn't. A response then might be that perhaps He created the
universe so that He couldn't interfere after creation. Does this make
sense? Can God constrain Himself? Can he create an unmovable stone and
an irresistable force?

Honestly, there is no point to such freshman philosophy hairsplitting.
Even R.C. Church theologians got over that stuff centuries ago.

Get this: it doesn't have anything to do with science!!!
After all, what is it that is so repugnant to Mr. Wells and his ilk
about a theistic scientist who also beleives that God (or whatever)
doesn't act in the physical universe?

Perhaps I am missing something here, but we went over a lot of the same
ground in my 6th grade science class.

I will also try to clarify the notion of "revealed knowledge".
You call something knowledge because you beleive it is true.
Current usage of terms like "knowledge" and "fact" tend to be in the
context of "physically or objectively verifiable", but of course that is
because we believe in such verification. Revealed knowledge is simply
what people call fact, but do not claim to be verifiable. In common
usage, it is therfore a misnomer. But saying that
>This translates to: "this knowledge is unknowable".
just plays on this fact, and doesn't refute the fact that some
people have beliefs to which they choose to apply this term.

I think Mr. Wells' strong concern over the fact that even today many
"rational" people are not logical positivists, really stems from a kind
of hysteria over "creationism" and similar things. He says that

>This individual has managed to illustrate in one very short note
>*exactly* why religion has *no* place in scientific discussion:
>the use of religion perverts reasoning by substituting "revealed
>knowledge" for evidence, requires the unknowable as part of
>reasoning, and uses ignorance as its justification.
>---
>Bill
>novavax!proxftl!bill

Well, I hate to let the cat out the bag, but "religion" does no such
thing. This perversion (if you want to call it that) is done by
individuals who try to compel people who want evidence to believe in
things that will not admit of evidence. And some of these people even
try to hoke up some evidence as well!

Despicable, I admit, but also more pitiable that anything else.
And equally so is Mr. Wells religion-bashing. Try to make this
connection: yes, religion has no place in scientific discussion, but
that it because it is *irrelevant*, not evil (the only "evil" in this
context is masking religion as science); therefore it is of little
concern in scientific discussions, and in little need of being bashed.
Rest from your intellectual imperialism, and concentrate on whether
someone's science is good work, regardless of whatever other thoughts
there might be lurking in his or her mind, thoughts which you say are
"wrong" or "silly", but are in fact merely irrelevant.

After all, isn't that what we are supposed to be about, in these
scientific discussion groups?

--John Sebes

As a postscript, I beleive that all this came about not because someone opined
"I know God exists, and you AI types leave God out of your theories"
but because someone had the temerity to ask if others might be missing
ideas for interesting models of mind because of wholehearted indulgence in
total reductionism. Unfortunately, this question was stated in a way
that mentioned that fateful word "God". Oh well.

bill@proxftl.UUCP (T. William Wells) (09/06/88)

To: novavax!uflorida!comp-ai-digest
From: T. William Wells <proxftl!bill@bikini.cis.ufl.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.ai.digest