[comp.ai.digest] Religion

ALFONSEC@EMDCCI11.BITNET (09/06/88)

Date: Mon, 05 Sep 88 11:47:24 HOE
To: AILIST@ai.ai.mit.edu
From: ALFONSEC%EMDCCI11.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Comment: CROSSNET mail via SMTP@INTERBIT
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 88 11:44 EDT
From: ALFONSEC@EMDCCI11
To: AILIST                                         AILIST@ai.ai.mit.edu
Subject: Religion

In

L. Adrian Griffis writes:
>This is not to say that Science never indulges in this sort of intolerance
>of beliefs.  But at least Science as a whole does not state as part of its
>fundamental platform that you must accept such and such a belief as fact,
>without evidence and without question (regardless of what individual scientist
>may do).

This is a misunderstanding of what religious beliefs mean.

First, it is false that they must be accepted without evidence.
There is evidence. The clearest case is, of course, that of
adults who become converted into a religion (there are scientists,
too, in this class). They found the evidence sufficient for them.
Mostly, however, it is not a "scientific evidence", rather a
"historical evidence" or a "reasonable evidence".

Second, it is true that, after the evidence has been accepted, a
certain "obstinacy on belief" (in the words of C.S. Lewis) is required.
But this is also true of other human beliefs (which amount to more than
99 % of all our knowledge, even to scientific knowledge).

What would you say about a scientist who refuses to believe all those
scientific facts which must be learnt on authority grounds
and decides to test everything in practice? Science would not
advance much if every scientist did that.

Let me put a more convenient example. When we meet a person of the
opposite sex, we first take some time to "get the evidence". At some
point, we may be convinced that this person is appropriate as a
spouse. We may marry this person.

But later on, a certain "obstinacy on belief" is required. Or am I
going to believe every slander that may come to my ears about
my wife? Or, to be a good scientist, should I put her to the test?
Devise an experiment to find out whether she is faithful to me
under different conditions, for example? Perhaps, if I did that,
I would be considered a good scientist, but certainly, too,
a very devious person, or even a fool. Remember the story about
Cephalus and Procris.

M. Alfonseca