[comp.ai.digest] religious experience and cognitive science

ayl%hutds.hut.fi@FINGATE.BITNET (Antti Ylikoski) (09/06/88)

Date: Sat, 3 Sep 88 19:32 EDT
From: Antti Ylikoski <ayl%hutds.hut.fi%FINGATE.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU>
To: AIList@AI.AI.MIT.EDU
Subject: religious experience and cognitive science
cc: ayl@hutds.hut.fi

It seems that one of the main arguments against "religious knowledge" is
the subjectivity of religious experience.  But when a scientist carries
out an experiment then he gets out of it subjective experiences such as
the act of perceiving the position of a pointer on the scale of a
milliamperemeter.

Knowledge which has been derived from experience is usually considered
reliable if:

a) the experience has taken place under circumstances which are known,
are described by the experimenter, and are known to produce reliable
results

b) the experience is repeatable; it is described by the experimenter and
can be carried out by others, and when they do this they get the same
results.

Religious experience is repeatable, I would claim.  I have read
descriptions written by evangelist Christians involving their
experiences, and they are very similar.

Whether religious experiences can be considered to take place "under
circumstances which produce reliable results" is less evident.  I have
played with the idea that one could collect a large number of people
representing various religions and study them and their religious behaviour
and experiences with the methods of experimental psychology, trying to
exclude the possibilities of hallucination, bad mental health, cheating
and so forth.  This would produce scientific data either confirming or
not confirming the "reality" of religious experience.

I would guess that the experiment proposed above would indicate that
religious experience is real.  More than a decade ago, I read a book on
popularized science and found the statement that the
electroenchephalograms of people that have regularly practiced Zen
meditation for a long time are different from those of ordinary people;
they have more theta waves.  Thus, Zen experience is scientifically
observable even at the neurological level.  (It is not certain whether I
can find the reference any more.)

I'm dreaming of the day when Cognitive Science can say facts about
religious experience with the same level of detail and reliability as
cognitive scientists nowadays know the human vision.

--- andy