[comp.ai.digest] Should we use an inductive tool for this problem?

lippolt@dnlunx.UUCP (Ben Lippolt) (09/08/88)

To: mcvax!cwi.nl!comp-ai-digest@uunet.UU.NET
From: Ben Lippolt <mcvax!dnlunx!lippolt@uunet.UU.NET>
Newsgroups: comp.ai,comp.ai.digest
Subject: Should we use an inductive tool for this problem?
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 88 10:48 EDT

Hello,

We have the following problem:
         We have about 200 items. Each item belongs to one of 13 classes and
         is described by 12 attributes. The values an item has for these 12
         attributes are not absolute, however, but are expressed relative to
         the other items. Like this:

         attr1     attr2       attr3     attr4

          3         2            4         3
          2         3            3         4
          1         4            2         2
          4         1            1         1

         The numbers refer to items 1 to 4. Let's say that item 1 belongs to
         class 1, item 2 to class 3, item 3 to class 6 and item 4 to class 3.
         There is a correlation between the class an item belongs to and the
         positions it has for each attribute. We can see, for instance, that
         item 3 is ranked above item 1 for all attributes and that the class
         of item 3 is higher than the class of item 1. If we look at items 2
         and 4, we see that of these two for some attributes item 2 is ranked
         higher and for some attributes item 4. Both items belong to the same
         class.

         What we want to do now, is to check the consistency of the
         correlation between the class an item belongs to and the relative
         positions it occupies for the twelve attributes. For instance, an
         item that is ranked very high for each attribute should not belong to
         the same class as an item that is ranked very low for each attribute.
         We want to start with e.g. 50 items and check for each new item that
         we add whether its class and positions are consistent with the other
         items.

Our questions are:
         Can we use an inductive tool for this problem? Are 50 cases, with
         12 attributes each, enough to start working with? Can we find
         inconsistencies, which might be rather vague, with such a tool? Is
         it possible to incorporate fuzzy logic in an inductive tool? Which
         tool should we use?

Any comments are highly appreciated.

Ben Lippolt              (..!mcvax!dnlunx!lippolt, or lippolt@hlsdnl5)
Marlies van Steenbergen  (..!mcvax!dnlunx!marlies)
PTT Research, Neher Laboratories.