[comp.ai.digest] Model-based Reasoning

davis@WHEATIES.AI.MIT.EDU (Randall Davis) (09/26/88)

---- Forwarded Message Follows ----
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 88 19:31:46 EDT
From: davis@wheaties.ai.mit.edu (Randall Davis)
To: AIList@ai.ai.mit.edu
Subject: Model-based Reasoning
Cc: davis@wheaties.ai.mit.edu

Concerning:
    From: jdavis@ucsd.edu  (James P. Davis)

    I am looking for some good references on the subject of Model-based
    reasoning (MBR). I am also interested in finding out who is doing
    work/research in this area, and what domains are being investigated.
    Nobody seems to have put any special compendiums (like Morgan Kaufmann)
    in this area yet. Any of you out there?

See the article by Davis and Hamscher in "Exploring AI", a compendium of
recent AAAI survey talks, just published by M/K.  The article is a survey of
the state of the art of model-based troubleshooting as of August 1987.

In addition, I'm working on an edited collection of articles summarizing the
MIT group's work in this area, including troubleshooting, test generation,
design, design for testability, combining causal and associational reasoning,
etc.  Available in spring/summer 1989.

    How does MBR relate to "reasoning from first principles"?

They're used essentially synonymously.  "First principles" was used earlier on
to emphasize that the systems reasoned from fundamental engineering principles
rather than empirical associations; "model-based" has been used more recently
to acknowledge the central role of the device model in comparing behavior
predicted by the model with behavior actually emitted by the physical device.