[comp.ai.digest] common sense knowledge of continuous action

JMC@SAIL.STANFORD.EDU (John McCarthy) (09/26/88)

---- Forwarded Message Follows ----
Date: 18 Sep 88  1543 PDT
From: John McCarthy <JMC@SAIL.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: common sense knowledge of continuous action
To:   fishwick@BIKINI.CIS.UFL.EDU, ailist@AI.AI.MIT.EDU

If Genesereth and Nilsson didn't give an example to illustrate
why differential equations aren't enough, they should have.
The example I like to give when I lecture is that of spilling
the water glass on the lectern.  If the front row is very
close, it might get wet, but usually not even that.  The
Navier-Stokes equations govern the flow of the spilled water
but are entirely useless in this common sense situation.
No-one can acquire the initial conditions or integrate the
equations sufficiently rapidly.  Moreover, absorption of water
by the materials it flows over is probably a strong enough
effect, so that more than the Navier-Stokes equations would
be necessary.

Thus there is no "scientific theory" involving differential
equations, queuing theory, etc.  that can be used by a robot
to determine what can be expected when a glass of water
is spilled, given what information is actually available
to an observer.  To use the terminology of my 1969 paper
with Pat Hayes, the differential equations don't form
an epistemologically adequate model of the phenomenon, i.e.
a model that uses the information actually available.

While some people are interested in modelling human performance
as an aspect of psychology, my interest is artificial intelligence.
There is no conflict with science.  What we need is a scientific
theory that can use the information available to a robot
with human opportunities to observe and do as well as a
human in predicting what will happen.  Thus our goal is a scientific
common sense.

The Navier-Stokes equations are important in (1) the design
of airplane wings, (2) in the derivation of general inequalities,
some of which might even be translatable into terms common sense
can use.  For example, the Bernoulli effect, once a person has
(usually with difficulty) integrated it into his common sense
knowledge can be useful for qualitatively predicting the effects of
winds flowing over a house.

Finally, the Navier Stokes equations are imbedded in a framework
of common sense knowledge and reasoning that determine the
conditions under which they are applied to the design of airplane
wings, etc.