[comp.ai.digest] Theft or Honest Toil,

mmt@client2.UUCP (Martin Taylor) (09/26/88)

---- Forwarded Message Follows ----
Date: 2 Sep 88 22:35:01 GMT
From: mnetor!utzoo!dciem!dretor!client2!mmt@uunet.uu.net  (Martin Taylor)
Subject: Theft or Honest Toil, (was Re: Pinker & Prince Reply (long version))
Sender: ailist-request@ai.ai.mit.edu
To: ailist@ai.ai.mit.edu

Harnad characterizes learning rules from a rule-provider as "theft",
whereas obtaining them by evaluation of the statistics of input data
is "honest toil".  But the analogy is perhaps better in a different
domain: learning by evaluating the statistics of the environment
is like building up amino acids and other nutritious things from
inorganic molecules through photosynthesis, whereas obtaining rules
from rule-providers is like eating already built nutritious things.
One ofthe great advantages of language is that we CAN take advantage
of the regularities discovered in the data by other people.  The rules
they tell us may be wrong, but to use them is easier than to discover
our own rules.  It is hardly to be taken as an analogy to "theft".

If we look at early child learning, the "theft" question becomes:
Has evolution provided us with a set of rules that we do not have to
obtain from the data, so that we can later obtain more rules from
people who did themselves learn from data?  Obviously in some sense
the answer is "yes" there are SOME innate rules regarding how we
interpret sensory input, even if those rules are as low-level as
to indicate how to put together a learning net.  Obviously, also,
there are MANY rules that we have to get from the data and/or from
people who learned them from the data.  The question then becomes
whether the "rules" regarding past-tense formation are of the innate
kind, of the data-induced kind, or of the passed-on kind.

My understanding of the developmental literature is that children
pass through three phases: (i) correct past-tense formation for those
verbs for which the child uses the past tense frequently; (ii) false
regularization, in which non-regular past tenses (went) are replaced
by regularized ones (goed); (iii) more-or-less correct past tense
formation, in which exceptions are properly used, AND novel or
neologized verbs are given regular past tenses (in some sense of
regular).  This sequence suggests to me that the pattern does not
have any innate rule component.  Initially, all words are separate,
in the sense that "went" is a different word from "go".  Later,
relations among words are made (I will not say "noticed"), and
the notion of "go" becomes part of the notion of "went".  Furthermore,
the notion of a root meaning with tense modification becomes part
of verbs in general.  Again, I will not say that this is connected
with any kind of symbolic rule.  It may be the development of net
nodes that are activated for root parts and for modifer parts of
words.  It would be overly rash to claim either that rules are involved
or that they are not.  In the final stage, the rule-like way of
obtaining past tenses is well established enough that the exceptions
can be clearly distinguished (whether statistically or otherwise is
again disputable).

One thing that seems perfectly clear is that humans are in general
capable of inducing rules in the sense that some people can verbalize
those rules.  When such a person "teaches" a rule to a "student",
the student must, initially at least, apply it AS a rule.  But even
in this case, it is not clear that skilled use of what has been learned
involves continuing to use the rule AS a rule.  It may have served
to induce new node structures in a net.

In "The Psychology of Reading" (Academic Press, 1983), my wife and I
discussed such a sequence under the heading of "Three-phased Learning",
which we took to be a fairly general pattern in the learning of skilled
behaviour (such as reading).  Phase 1 is the learning of large-scale
unique patterns.  Phase 2 is the discovery of consistent sub-patterns
and consistent ways in which the sub-patterns relate to each other
(induction or acquisition of rules).  Phase 3 is the incorporation
of these sub-elements and relational patterns into newly structured
global patterns--the acquisition of true skill.

"Theft," in Harnad's terms, can occur only as part of Phase 2. Both
Phase 1 and Phase 3 involve "honest toil."  My feeling is that
current connectionist models are mainly appropriate to Phase 1,
and that symbolic approaches are mainly appropriate to Phase 2,
though there is necessarily overlap.  There should not be a contention among
models using one or other approach, if this is so.  They are both
correct, but under different circumstances.
--
Martin Taylor  DCIEM, Box 2000, Downsview, Ontario, Canada M3M 3B9
uunet!mnetor!dciem!client1!mmt  or mmt@zorac.arpa   (416) 635-2048