[comp.ai.digest] state and change/continuous actions

smryan@garth.UUCP (Steven Ryan) (09/26/88)

---- Forwarded Message Follows ----
Date: 19 Sep 88 01:18:29 GMT
From: garth!smryan@unix.sri.com  (Steven Ryan)
Subject: Re: state and change/continuous actions
Sender: ailist-request@ai.ai.mit.edu
To: ailist@ai.ai.mit.edu

>Foundations of Artificial Intelligence," I find it interesting to
>compare and contrast the concepts described in Chapter 11 - "State
>and Change" with state/change concepts defined within systems
>theory and simulation modeling. The authors make the following statement:
>"Insufficient attention has been paid to the problem of continuous
>actions." Now, a question that immediately comes to mind is "What problem?"

Presumably, they are referring to that formal systems are strictly discrete and
finite. This has to do to with `effective computation.' Discrete systems can be
explained in such simple terms that is always clear exactly what is being
done.

Continuous systems are computably using calculus, but is this `effective
computation?' Calculus uses a number of existent theorems which prove some
point or set exists, but provide no method to effectively compute the value.
Or is knowing the value exists sufficient because, after all, we can map the
real line into a bounded interval which can be traversed in finite time?

It is not clear that all natural phenomon can be modelled on the discrete
and finite digital computer. If not, what computer could we use?

steve@hubcap.UUCP ("Steve" Stevenson) (09/26/88)

From a previous article, by smryan@garth.UUCP (Steven Ryan):

> Continuous systems are computably using calculus, but is this `effective
> computation?' Calculus uses a number of existent theorems which prove some
> point or set exists, but provide no method to effectively compute the value.

Clearly numerical analysis emulates continuous systems.  In the phil of
math, this is, of course, an issue.  For those denying reals but
allowing the actual infinity of integers, NA is as good as the Tm.

Not only are there existence theorems for point sets, but such theorems
as the Peano Kernel Theorem are effective computations.  At the point
set level, one uses things called ``simple functions''.

BTW, you're being too restrictive.  There are many ``continuous'' systems which
have a denumerable number of points of nondifferentiablity: there
are several ways to handle this (e.g., measure theory).  These are
not ``calculus'' in the usual sense.  Important applications are in diffusion
and probability.  So, is Riemann-Stiltjes the only true calculus? Nah.
There's one per view.

--
Steve (really "D. E.") Stevenson           steve@hubcap.clemson.edu
Department of Computer Science,            (803)656-5880.mabell