[comp.ai.digest] continuity and computability

jack@cs.glasgow.ac.UK (Mr Jack Campin) (10/03/88)

smryan@garth.UUCP (Steven Ryan) wrote:

>> "Insufficient attention has been paid to the problem of continuous
>> actions." Now, a question that immediately comes to mind is "What problem?"

> Continuous systems are computable using calculus, but is this `effective
> computation?' Calculus uses a number of existence theorems which prove some
> point or set exists, but provide no method to effectively compute the value.

> It is not clear that all natural phenomena can be modelled on the discrete
> and finite digital computer. If not, what computer could we use?

I brought up this same point in the Usenet sci.logic newsgroup a short while
ago. There is a precise sense in which analogue computers are more powerful
than digital ones - i.e. there are continuous phenomena unsimulatable on a
Turing machine.

Most of the work on this has been done by Marian Pour-El and her coworkers.
An early paper is "A computable ordinary differential equation which possesses
no computable solution", Annals of Mathematical Logic, volume 17, 1979, pages
61-90. This result is a bit of a cheat (the way the equation is set up has
little relation to anything in the physical world) but I believe later papers
tighten it up somewhat (one uses the wave equation, which you'd expect to be a
powerful computing device given that interferometers can calculate Fourier
transforms in constant time). I haven't seen these later articles, though.

--
Jack Campin,  Computing Science Department, Glasgow University, 17 Lilybank
Gardens, Glasgow G12 8QQ, SCOTLAND.   041 339 8855 x6045 wk 041 556 1878 ho