[comp.ai.digest] Genetic Learning Algorithms

cornish@RUSSIAN.SPA.SYMBOLICS.COM (jan cornish) (09/26/88)

---- Forwarded Message Follows ----
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 88 13:36 PDT
From: jan cornish <cornish@RUSSIAN.SPA.Symbolics.COM>
Subject: Genetic Learning Algorithms
To: thefool@athena.mit.edu
cc: AIList@AI.AI.MIT.EDU, cornish@RUSSIAN.SPA.Symbolics.COM

    Date: 18 Sep 88 13:49:01 GMT
    From: thefool@athena.mit.edu  (Michael A. de la Maza)

       I am currently working on a genetic learning algorithm(gla) engine that
    draws inferences from a horse racing database (the results could be
    enRICHening).  Has anyone compiled a bibliography of gla articles/books?
       If I'm inundated with responses I'll post a summary here.

What makes you think a GA will work?

You probably would want to use a GA based "classifier system" (see a
book by John Holland et. al. called Induction) in which a random
population inductive rules are evolved. You might want to take a look at
an article "Pinpointing Good Hypothesies with Heuristics" by Steven
Salzberg in the book "Artifical Intelligenece & Statistics". He
developed a weighted feature vector approach where the weights were
updated by heuristics. It worked well.  The feature vector was about 70
dimensional.

Where are you getting your data?

    Michael A. de la Maza                 thefool@athena.mit.edu
    Query: What is the answer to this question?

Answer: what question is this the answer to?

    [There is a separate list covering genetic algorithms called GA-LIST.
    continue to carry occasional information ...

A good list ...

	    In addition, offutt@caen.engin.umich.edu (Daniel M. Offutt) is
    offering a GA function optimization package.  Contact him for details.

			    - nick]

offutt@CAEN.ENGIN.UMICH.EDU (daniel m offutt) (10/06/88)

> 	    In addition, offutt@caen.engin.umich.edu (Daniel M. Offutt) is
>     offering a GA function optimization package.  Contact him for details.

Rather, a package is available from John Grefenstette (gref@nrl-aic.arpa).
Ask him for his package called "GENESIS" and ask him to put you on the
"GA-LIST" mailing list while you are at it.

I have used John's package extensively and can recommend it highly.  But
I did not write it and it is not available from me.   For more details,
see my post on genetic algorithms and John's package on sci.physics or
sci.math.stat, a few weeks back.

Dan Offutt                                        offutt@caen.engin.umich.edu