[comp.ai.digest] Expert Systems in Scheduling

pat@cs.strath.ac.UK (Pat Prosser) (11/05/88)

>Subject: ES for Scheduling Flexible Manufacturing Systems

>Hi!... I am compiling a survey of expert systems for scheduling CIM in general
>and FMS in particular.
>I am particularly interested in the limitations and effectiveness
> ...... and what role a human scheduler would play in the highly complex
>and constantly evolving environment of FMS. Does anyone know if ISIS still
>being used at Westinghouse?

Some ES schedulers worthy of study are:
(1) SEMIMAN: a scheduler for ASIC production, in use by Plessey, developed
    by Peter Ellerby in Reading University. This views scheduling as a
    dynamic CSP. Peter is currently installing his system ... it exists,
    I've seen it.
(2) DAS: a Distributed Asynchronous Scheduler. This again views scheduling as
    a dynamic CSP but distributes the task over many processors. It
    has similarities with the contract net metaphor and blackboard
    systems. We in Strathclyde have developed/implemented a
    demonstrator.
(3) SONIA: Claude le Pape's system. This is a blackboard architecture,
    looking much like OPIS
(4) OPIS: Stephen Smith. Apparently SS is now installing this for IBM
    wafer fab plant (I think)
(5) YAMS: Parunak's system, a contract net.
(6) ISIS: The last I heard of this Nancy Skoogland was re-implementing
    this in KEE.
(7) B.R Fox and Kempf: robot assembly ... opportunistic scheduling
    (apparently Fox was opportunistic to the degree of walking away
     from FMC with a Ferrari!)

Limitations and Effectiveness:
How long is a piece of string? Limitations depends on representations
used. Generally representing problem as constraints (temporal,
precedence, technological, preference) is rich enough to model most
domains. Also knowledge elicitation ... generally no one knows what a
good schedule is, generally they do know what a satisfactory schedule
is. Therefore in many cases knowledge must be created via simulation.
Effectiveness .... depends on what state the company's in. generally
most companies don't schedule and even fewer schedule reactively. So
... expect a big win.

Human Role:
See Peter Ellerby's "junk box approach". Take the human out of the
system and you are doomed. Until you can capture all domain knowledge,
keep the user in there.

The appropriatness of AI technology to scheduling: Want to make loadsamoney?

Patrick Prosser
University of Strathclyde
Dept of Computer Science
Glasgow