[net.music] New Trouser Press Record Guide

hsut@pur-ee.UUCP (Yuk Hsu) (08/30/85)

	Here's an interesting new book I picked up recently: the New
Trouser Press Record Guide, paperback, cover price an exorbitant $13.95.
It's an updated and expanded version of the Trouser Press Guide to
New Wave Records which I do not have, so there will be no detailed
comparisons between the two in this short review.

	Like all books of this nature, whether or not you'll like it
will depend on how many of your favourite groups the book reviews,
and how many of those reviews are favourable. :-) The emphasis of this
book is on newer, less popular music. It is incredibly up-to-date:
there are many reviews of albums which came out not too many months ago,
and the book mentions new albums which are in the works at the time of
press (e.g., Low Life by New Order.) Most of the obscure groups I looked
up were there (though I do not claim to be an expert on new music.)
You will not find long extinct groups such as the Fugs or Faust here (though
Velvet Underground has a substantial section), but there are informative
reviews on Robyn Hitchcock, Bill Nelson, Laurie Anderson, Bauhaus
(whom they did not like...GRRRRR), Fred Frith, Fripp, Eno etc. A few
hours with it has unearthed some glaring omissions, such as Art Bears, 801
and Kate Bush (sorry, Doug!), but most of the "standards" of experimental
rock and the more interesting new artists are there. Every punk/hardcore
band I looked up was listed, though I'm no expert in that area.

	Despite its weird omissions, this is probably the only review
book you'll find which lists Birdsongs of the Mesozoic and True West.
Recommended for anyone interested in intelligent new music.

				Bill Hsu
				pur-ee!hsut

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (09/01/85)

> From: hsut@pur-ee.UUCP (Yuk Hsu)

>	Here's an interesting new book I picked up recently: the New
> Trouser Press Record Guide, paperback, cover price an exorbitant
> $13.95.

How recent is it?  As far as I know, Trouser Press (the music magazine)
went out of business sometime last year.

> there are informative reviews on Robyn Hitchcock, Bill Nelson, Laurie
> Anderson, Bauhaus (whom they did not like...GRRRRR), Fred Frith,
> Fripp, Eno etc.

How could they not like Bauhaus???

> A few hours with it has unearthed some glaring omissions, such as Art
> Bears, 801 and Kate Bush (sorry, Doug!)....

Wow, another Art Bears fan!  I'm not so sure not having Art Bears or 801
is a glaring ommision, though, considering how obscure they are (which
is in direct proportion to how wonderful they are!  Are you sure they
didn't mention Art Bears under Frith or 801 under Eno or Manzenera or
Roxy Music?).  But I can't understand how they could have left out Kate
Bush....  Trouser Press really liked her, and she's certainly more
well-known than Bill Nelson, Fred Frith, Bauhaus, Robyn Hitchcock, or
Birdsongs.

> Despite its weird omissions, this is probably the only review book
> you'll find which lists Birdsongs of the Mesozoic and True West.

Wow!  What did they have to say about Birdsongs?

			"Soul birds of a feather flock together"

			 Doug Alan
			  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)

hedger@ada-uts.UUCP (09/05/85)

this is just a note ....there is a book out by Chris Cutler (Art Bears,Henry
Cow,etc.etc.) which is a diary/journal of the life of Henry Cow...I think
it's called the Henry Cow book (you would have never guessed,right?) and
it's pretty interesting for Cow fans and musicians who wonder- How can I
play this wierd shit and travel and eat and pay the rent and keep the band
going???????. I think the book can be had from Wayside Music and possibly
some other eclectic mail order houses..
keith hedger
ihnp4!inmet!ada-uts!hedger