[comp.text.desktop] C TEX?

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (05/01/87)

Date: Fri, 1 May 87 11:00:52 pdt
From: rtech!rtech!daveb (Dave Brower)

I have heard rumours of a TEX translation in C.  This would be usefull
for people (like me) who don't have a Pascal compiler.  Does anyone
know the status of this, where to order, how much, etc?

Thanks,
-dB

Submisssions to:  desktop%plaid@sun.com
Administrivia to:  desktop-request%plaid@sun.com

Chuq Von Rospach	chuq@sun.COM		[I don't read flames]

There is no statute of limitations on stupidity

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (05/04/87)

From: ambar@BLOOM-BEACON.MIT.EDU (Jean Marie Diaz)
Usnail: 3 Ames St.  Cambridge, MA  02139
Nynex: (617) 225-6364

>Date: Fri, 1 May 87 11:00:52 pdt
>From: rtech!rtech!daveb (Dave Brower)
>
>I have heard rumours of a TEX translation in C.  This would be usefull
>for people (like me) who don't have a Pascal compiler.  Does anyone
>know the status of this, where to order, how much, etc?

Yes, it's the TeX we run here.  Ours was/is the release-for-porting,
still has some bugs, but we're very happy.  The C translation, in a Unix
environment, is much faster on a loaded machine (smaller binary -> less
page faults...)  Mail to monardo@renoir.berkeley.edu is probably your
best bet.  I don't mind making ours available for ftp, but you are
warned -- it's buggy.  If anyone is going to go to the trouble of uucp
or mail transfer, you may as well get the real one (ie, send mail to
ucbvax!ucbrenoir!monardo).  We're pretty satisfied.  Oh, yeah -- it's
free, last I checked.  (copy, but don't sell...)

				AMBAR

Submissions to: desktop%plaid@sun.com