[comp.text.desktop] Response to Inquiries about CG8400 drivers

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (05/11/87)

From: rochester!steinmetz!sprite!montnaro@seismo.CSS.GOV (Skip Montanaro)
Date: 9 May 87 00:55:01 GMT

I'm just getting caught up on the mail archives from this newsgroup. Pardon
me if this information is old hat. In archive #6 a couple of people wanted
information on drivers for the Compugraphics 8400 primarily to hook up with
PC's and/or Macs. We also have one (an 8400 that is), so I keep my eyes open
for developments although I'm not directly involved with its care and
feeding.

ArborTeX (supporters of TeX and creators of new yet-to-be-released WYSIWYG
system called The Publisher -- it looks neat!) of Ann Arbor, MI (sorry - no
phone number. I'm at home) has a TeX DVI to CG8x00 driver. It only runs on
the Sun workstation (so I was told yesterday by a person at ArborTeX). Other
companies sell TeX for the Mac (is there such a beast for the IBM PC?). You
could possibly find a Sun (CalTech, right? You must have Suns somewhere) to
plug the 8400 into and transfer the TeX DVI file from the Mac to the Sun for
printing. Of course, for draft work you could plug a LaserWriter into the
Mac.

If anyone has trouble finding ArborTex's phone number or address, drop me a
note or give me a call (see my signature for details).

I also just noticed an ad in the June 1986 Unix Review (p. 35) for a company
called Textware International. They appear to have troff and ditroff drivers
for the CG 8x00 series as well as a number of other typesetters. Their
address and phone are

	Textware International
	POB 14
	Harvard Square
	Cambridge, MA 02238
	(617)UNI-TEXT

Textware and several other vendors sell AT&T's Documentor's Workbench
(ditroff plus supporting cast). I have no idea what hardware or software
Textware's stuff runs on. We have had good experience with the Elan Computer
Group's version of DWB 2.0, both on the IBM PC and the Sun. I am led to
believe that Elan didn't change the ditroff output file format, so you
should be able to (in theory) use Textware's postprocessor with Elan's DWB
product if necessary.  I don't know their address or their main mail feed,
but we are connected to them. Try steinmetz!elan!postmaster. Someone there
is bound to know what you're inquiring about.

--
         Skip|  ARPA:      montanaro@ge-crd.arpa
    Montanaro|  UUCP:      montanaro@desdemona.steinmetz.ge.com

Submissions to:   desktop%plaid@sun.com -OR- sun!plaid!desktop
Administrivia to: desktop-request%plaid@sun.com -OR- sun!plaid@desktop-request
Paths:  {ihnp4,decwrl,hplabs,seismo,ucbvax}!sun
Chuq Von Rospach	chuq@sun.COM		[I don't read flames]

There is no statute of limitations on stupidity