[comp.text.desktop] Submission for comp-text-desktop

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (05/15/87)

Date: 13 May 87 18:51:58 GMT
From: jean@hrcca.UUCP (Jean Airey)
Subject: Re: Xerography or Offset?

In article <18148@sun.uucp>, chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
> From:  desktop%plaid@sun.com
> And if I stick with Xerography, do I want to continue shelling out $100/mo
> in costs, or do I want to buy a machine and do it myself?
>
> The way I look at it, if I go offset I get lots of new capabilities,
> including being able to use cardstock for covers, go to a saddle stitch, and
> be able to reproduce photos (photos and book covers don't really do well in
> a copy machine....). But I'm tied to a schedule, the turnaround is slower,
> and I'm not sure what volume I need before the cost per page is better than
> Xerography.

Having published several newsletters & fanzines -- I think that using
cardstock/saddlestitch etc. is going to cost mucho $$$ -- at least
it did in Columbus Ohio -- the option is nice, but the cost (for me
at that time) was out-of-sight.  Also, if you're going to use photos
you *must* have them screened to run on an offset press -- and
that's more bucks.  I find that *certain* "dry copy" machines
reproduce photos quite satisfactorily -- especially considering
that I'm usuallly concerned about keeping the cost down.  You
can also buy a "white dot" screen that improves the photographic
"dry copy" image.

> If I stick with the copy shop, I'm probably trading off speed and
> convenience (they collate for me, for instance) against cost.

That depends on your copy shop.  In Columbus (OH), one of the shops
I used had *exactly* the same prices for "dry copying" vs. offset.
They automatically went to offset if you were getting a certain
quantity.  They *always* charged more if I wanted things collated.
With the quantity you're talking about, do you really want to sit
around and put page 1 with 2 with 3?  It's not bad if you throw
a collating party, but by oneself is not the most rewarding thing
to do of an evening.  If your copy shop is doing the collating
*free* I would say that you've got a good deal.

> But I don't know whether I can buy a copier in the 3000-5000 copy/month
> bracket with 100% two sided capability in that kind of price range.

I, too, wondered about buying my *own* copy machine -- but in talking
to several individuals (including the people who tried to maintain
the machines at work) I found out the following:  You can't use
the "copy/month" figure to figure out the machine you need when
you're going to be running all those copies at once!  I.E.  if they
say 3000 copies/month, they assume that you will be running about
(30 day month) 100 copies/day.  If you try to run your 3000 copies
in one day you will probably smoke the machine (happened to ours
at work).  So what you have to look for is how many copies the machine
will handle in a batch -- and that will probably be an expensive
machine!

I do know some people who bought their own offset press --
but getting plates ready & maintaining the press was too much
hassle.  Of course, there are still some high quality mimeo-type
machines out there (rousing chorus of "TRADITION").

"Hope is very dangerous."
--
Jean Airey: US Mail 1306 W. Illinois, Aurora, IL 60506
ihnp4!hrcca!jean

Submissions to:   desktop%plaid@sun.com -OR- sun!plaid!desktop
Administrivia to: desktop-request%plaid@sun.com -OR- sun!plaid@desktop-request
Paths:  {ihnp4,decwrl,hplabs,seismo,ucbvax}!sun
Chuq Von Rospach	chuq@sun.COM		[I don't read flames]

There is no statute of limitations on stupidity