[comp.text.desktop] Price of UnixTeX distribution

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (05/14/87)

Date: Wed, 13 May 87 16:35:30 PDT
From: mackay@june.cs.washington.edu (Pierre MacKay)

The Desktop Publishing Archive #3 has some old information about
the TeX distribution for Unix.  Unlike the case of the Sun 3/50
we have had to raise the price.  Could you send out this correction.

To order a full distribution of TeX, send $100.00 (foreign sites $110.00,
to cover the extra postage) payable to the University of Washington to:

	Pierre A. MacKay
	Northwest Computer Support Group,  DW-10
	University of Washington
	Seattle, Washington 98195

The distribution includes sources for both BSD and System V Unix.

BSD based systems currently provided for are VaX UNIX 4.2BSD and 4.3BSD,
SUN2 (but this will not work with version 3.0 or 3.1 software
owing to a bug in the 68010 code used by pc---a fix is promised in
version 3.2), SUN3 (this does work with 3.0 and 3.1 software) and
Pyramid at version 2.5 or higher in the operating system.
Integrated Solutions, Celerity and Ridge ports are known to exist, and
will be added to the distribution as soon as possible.

The system V port was done by Lou Salkind of NYU for the 3B2.  It
ought to be fairly generic.  It requires the System V adaptation of
BSD pc, and source code for the BSD pxp from a BSD4.3 site (this
is modified by a sed script).

Since TeX is free public-domain software, just about
everything that can be sent out in source form is included on the
tape.  There are no licensing restrictions, and only minor copyright
restrictions as noted in the affected files.

Purchase orders are now acceptable, but there will be an extra charge of
$10.00, owing to the processing charges we incur. (Total of $110 for
domestic sites, $120 for foreign sites).

The normal distribution is a tar tape, blocked 20, 1600 bpi.  If you
need 1/4 inch streamer cartridges for the SUN, be sure to tell us.
Although we have had problems previously with cartridge tapes, we can
now get them out quite fast.

Current versions of standard programs in the distribution:

	(in the ./tex82 path)
        	TeX 	2.1 (implying the use of the new cm fonts.)
        		    (plain.tex version 2.3)
        	LaTeX 	2.09 (release of 19 April, 1986,
			    with corrections to 22 February, 1987)
        		(also SliTeX 2.09)
		tangle	2.8
		weave	2.9
		dvitype	2.8
		pltotf	2.3
		tftopl	2.5

	(in the ./mf84 path)
        	metafont 1.3
        	chtopx 	1
        	gftodvi 1.7
        	gftopk 	1.3 (changes as published in TUGboat)
        	gftopxl 2.1
        	gftype 	2.2
        	pktopx 	2.3 (changes as published in TUGboat)
        	pktype 	2.2 (changes as published in TUGboat)
		pxtoch 	1.1 (with change contributed by William LeFebvre)
        	pxtopk 	2.3 (changes as published in TUGboat)
                mft 	0.3 (a formatting program for metafont source files.)

Fonts in mf source format. The full Computer Modern as released from Stanford.
	Utility fonts for character proofs etc. (not made with cmbase.mf),
	LaTeX and SliTeX fonts are also supplied in mf source format.

Fonts in gf format. Just about all standard shapes and sizes in 118, 200,
	240, and 300 gf(dpi) series.  The gf files for the principal LaTeX
	symbol fonts are in a separate list.  The Euler fonts are
	supplied in gf format only. (If you want [euler].mf source files,
	you should get in touch with the American Mathematical Society,
	which will make these available under license.)

Fonts in pk format. AMS fonts-- Cyrillc, and special symbols (created with
	old METAFONT-in-SAIL).  All but the *.590pxl *.1000pxl, *.1200pxl
	and *.1500pxl fonts are in *.*pk format.  The relevant
	directories include sh scripts (e.g. makepxl300.sh) for
	expanding the entire list.  See the *.list files
	in each font subdirectory for an idea of the size of the
	expanded font directory.

Fonts in pxl format.  Only the bare minimum set declared in plain.tex.
	in 590 1000 1200 and 1500 sizes, as mentioned above.  See also
	mcyr, msxm, msym, (amsfonts)

NOTE. for those who wish to go on using am series fonts, the files
	am_plain.tex, am_lfonts.tex and am_webmac.tex are provided.

Drivers for dvi output.

	imagen(2 styles), qms(2 styles), LaserWriter (PostScript)
	(we have a provisional version of an LN03 driver and we hope
	in the near future for a driver for the HP Laser-jet+)

	Symbolics LGP, Ln01, Versatec.  (These are all obsolescent, and
	are no longer maintained.)

						Pierre A. MacKay
						TUG Site Coordinator for
						Unix-flavored TeX

Submissions to:   desktop%plaid@sun.com -OR- sun!plaid!desktop
Administrivia to: desktop-request%plaid@sun.com -OR- sun!plaid@desktop-request
Paths:  {ihnp4,decwrl,hplabs,seismo,ucbvax}!sun
Chuq Von Rospach	chuq@sun.COM		[I don't read flames]

There is no statute of limitations on stupidity

chuq@plaid.UUCP (05/15/87)

Date: Thu, 14 May 87 23:40:08 PDT
From: Gregory Earle (40876) <earle@jplopto.Jpl.Nasa.Gov>

In article <18844@sun.uucp>, Pierre MacKay writes:
>BSD based systems currently provided for are VaX UNIX 4.2BSD and 4.3BSD,
>SUN2 (but this will not work with version 3.0 or 3.1 software
>owing to a bug in the 68010 code used by pc---a fix is promised in
>version 3.2), SUN3 (this does work with 3.0 and 3.1 software) and
>Pyramid at version 2.5 or higher in the operating system.
>Integrated Solutions, Celerity and Ridge ports are known to exist, and
>will be added to the distribution as soon as possible.

Since this is a form letter that Pierre sends out, let me update this by
stating that the bug mentioned above is indeed fixed in SunOS 3.[23] for
68010 architecture.  Also, there are bug fixes and improvements to the
Pascal compiler in release 3.3, so those out there with Suns considering
buying the Unix TeX tape might think about waiting until you are running
SunOS 3.3 [or 3.4, which is due out Real Soon Now] before trying to build
it.  It would probably make life considerably easier.

--
	Greg Earle		earle@{jplpub1,jplopto}.JPL.NASA.GOV
	(Now ex-)JPL		jpl{pub1,opto}!earle@jpl-elroy.ARPA