[comp.text.desktop] New Thunderscanner

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (05/14/87)

Date: Wed 13 May 87 10:34:40-PDT
From: Steve Dennett <DENNETT@SRI-NIC.ARPA>

I just read an ad (in MACWORLD) for the new version of the Thunderscanner, the
device that is installed in an Apple Imagewriter and used as a graphics
scanner.

The "new, improved" version appears to have better resolution than the old
model, claims to produce true halftones, and can create files in lots of
formats (PostScript, PICT, TIFF).

Has anyone tried out one of these?  I tried out the old model one time, and
while it might be all right for playing around, there was no way it could be
used for serious work (the resolution was terrible).

On the other hand, if they really have improved it, it's the scanner bargain
of the year (price is $249-- even if you have to buy a new imagewriter to use
it, the total cost would be less than most other scanners).

Comments?

Steve
 dennett@sri-nic.arpa
Submissions to:   desktop%plaid@sun.com -OR- sun!plaid!desktop
Administrivia to: desktop-request%plaid@sun.com -OR- sun!plaid@desktop-request
Paths:  {ihnp4,decwrl,hplabs,seismo,ucbvax}!sun
Chuq Von Rospach	chuq@sun.COM		[I don't read flames]

There is no statute of limitations NeNeNsome iso

tj@utgpu.UUCP (05/15/87)

Speaking for the old one, it was pretty poor but is VERY inexpensive and Very
useful when used with something like Adobe Illustrator. Take a crud
bitmap and make a decent PostScript file from it with the best possible
resolution.

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (05/18/87)

From: tj@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (tj)
Date: 15 May 87 16:40:39 GMT

Speaking for the old one, it was pretty poor but is VERY inexpensive and Very
useful when used with something like Adobe Illustrator. Take a crud
bitmap and make a decent PostScript file from it with the best possible
resolution.

Submissions to:   desktop%plaid@sun.com -OR- sun!plaid!desktop
Administrivia to: desktop-request%plaid@sun.com -OR- sun!plaid@desktop-request
Paths:  {ihnp4,decwrl,hplabs,seismo,ucbvax}!sun
Chuq Von Rospach	chuq@sun.COM		[I don't read flames]

There is no statute of limitations on stupidity