[comp.text.desktop] impress, postscript printers

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (05/08/87)

From: hi!cyrus@hc.dspo.gov (Tait Cyrus)
Newsgroups: comp.text,comp.text.desktop
Date: 8 May 87 02:31:51 GMT

When is someone going to make a postscript printer that sits on
the ethernet?  As far as I know, current postscript printers
sit on a RS232 port.  This is slowwwwwwwww.  The ONLY reason
that we are not going to postscript is because of the large
amounts of time required to get a job printed, especially if
it is a bitmap.  We currently have an Imagen 8/300 which is
about to die (just the other day we printed ~1500 pages in a
12 hour time period, far more than it was designed for) and
we will have to buy another laser printer.  If there were a
postscript printer that set on the ethernet, it would
probably be purchased just because there are a lot more
products that produce postscript than there are that produce
impress.

So back to the original question, when are postscript printers
that sit on the ethernet coming out?

--
    @__________@    W. Tait Cyrus   (505) 277-0806
   /|         /|    University of New Mexico
 |  |  hc   |  |    e-mail:
 |  @.......|..@       cyrus@hc.dspo.gov or cyrus@hc.arpa or
 | /        | /        {gatech|ucbvax|convex}!unmvax!hi!cyrus
 @/_________@/

Submissions to:   desktop%plaid@sun.com -OR- sun!plaid!desktop
Administrivia to: desktop-request%plaid@sun.com -OR- sun!plaid@desktop-request
Paths:  {ihnp4,decwrl,hplabs,seismo,ucbvax}!sun

Chuq Von Rospach	chuq@sun.COM		[I don't read flames]

There is no statute of limitations on stupidity

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (05/18/87)

From: hoptoad!gnu@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (John Gilmore)
Date: 18 May 87 07:49:26 GMT

From: hi!cyrus@hc.dspo.gov (Tait Cyrus)
> When is someone going to make a postscript printer that sits on
> the ethernet?

As I understand it, DEC has already done so, but in usual fashion
they failed to clear their holster before pulling the trigger.
The thing only talks DECNET protocols and is therefore useless to the
general market.  Hmm, DEC's terminal server is the same way.  Is
this just ingrained stupidity or is there a Secret Plan there somewhere?
I doubt anybody's going to convert to VMS or DECNET just to buy their
laser printer.
--
Copyright 1987 John Gilmore; you may redistribute only if your recipients may.
(This is an effort to bend Stargate to work with Usenet, not against it.)