[comp.text.desktop] Reasonable Non-Toy Digitizers

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (05/11/87)

From: jwm@renoir.Berkeley.EDU (Jeff Mc Carrell)
Date: 10 May 87 05:30:47 GMT

    We'd like to find a digitizer that we could hook up to a Sun, a Vax
or a Macintosh to scan pictures and such.  At this point, we're most
interested in using it to create a database of images to include in
documents, but it seems likely that we'll think of more uses for it once
we get it.  In other words, we're looking for a decent, general-purpose
digitizer to play with.

    We'd prefer to have something with resolution near 300 DPI, though
more resolution is better than less.  We've heard about and rejected
ThunderScan.  The gory details of a product aren't particularly
important; we're more interested at this point in the generalities:
Manufacturer, model, resolution, price, an indication of how satisfied
you are with it.

    Any information will be appreciated, and as usual, if demand warrants
it, I'll post a summary.

	Jeff McCarrell				jwm@renoir.Berkeley.EDU
						...decvax!ucbvax!jwm

Submissions to:   desktop%plaid@sun.com -OR- sun!plaid!desktop
Administrivia to: desktop-request%plaid@sun.com -OR- sun!plaid@desktop-request
Paths:  {ihnp4,decwrl,hplabs,seismo,ucbvax}!sun
Chuq Von Rospach	chuq@sun.COM		[I don't read flames]

There is no statute of limitations on stupidity

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (05/13/87)

Date: Mon, 11 May 87 22:17:58 PST
From: korn@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Peter "Arrgh" Korn)

The scanner I'm most familiar with (and like the most) is the DataCopy
scanner.  As far as I know, it's the ONLY scanner out for either the
mac or the pc that works like a copier (you can put the sheet of paper,
or open book, or what have you on top of the scanner, rather than
feeding in the page to be scanned, a la ThunderScanner, Dest, AST, etc.).
Scanning time is pretty good (~14 sec/page), and resolution is 300 dpi.

The software isn't 100% perfect, but for all my "not quite right" gripes,
it gets the job done cleanly.  It will save it's scans in some 10
different formats, including PICT, MacPaint scaled, MacPaint huge, SuperPaint
laserBits, PostScript code, TIFF, and TIFF Compressed (which I believe are
mis-named EPSF [Encapsulated PostScript Format] formats, but I'm not sure),
and one or two more.

Pricing is good.  List price is $1800 for the scanner, and $495 for mac
software and SCSI interface.  Stores in Berkeley are selling the two
together for $2,000.

Peter
--
-----
Peter "Arrgh" Korn		         Hacker?  Me?  A hacker?  No, actually

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (05/14/87)

From: seismo!gatech!ncrcae!ncrlnk!rd1632!obrien
Date: Tue, 12 May 87 08:18:08 EDT

We are using a DEST PC Scan Plus on a Mac and on an NCR PC8 (AT).  The PC Scan
can scan in either the text or graphics mode (software selectable).  The text
pac software lets you scan into your favorite word processor for editing.  The
publish pac software will let you scan line art or pictures at 200 or 300 dpi
into PC Paintbrush Plus TIFF or IMG format on the PC or super paint and mac
paint on a mac.

The DEST units do a very nice low volume job for us.  Cost about $3000 for hardware and software.  A DEST distributor is located in most cities.

DEST Corp, Milpitas, CA, 95035, (408) 946-7100

We also have an AST TurboScan which can scan graphics at 300 dpi.  I have been
told that it is a good unit for under $3000, but have not had time to try it out8
W. Patrick O'Brien  arpa pat.obrien%dayton.ncr.com@relay.cs.net
                    uucp sdcsvax,ucsdhub!ncr-sd!ncrlnk!rd1632!obrien

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (05/15/87)

Date: Wed, 13 May 87 16:31:01 EDT
From: Bruce Edwards <edwards@andy.bgsu.edu>

The DataProducts line of SCSI flatbed scanners (i.e. item scanned doesn't
move.....like on a copier) seem to be this best bang for the buck at 300dpi
and $2500 with software and interface cable. They are very fast and save
files in a number of different formats (including Encapsulated Postscript).

You might also check out TRU-VAL supposedly has a Mac-able SCSI scanner which
will do smaller scans at >900 dpi (expect to load your Mac with as much memory
as it will hold.....like maybe a 4M Levco) .

      'These are only the shadowlands.' C.S. Lewis
        CSNET: edwards@bgsu
      ARPANET: edwards%bgsu@csnet-relay
         UUCP: cbosgd!osu-eddie!bgsuvax!edwards
      US Mail: Ken Jenkins c/o
               Century Marketing Corp.
               12836 S. Dixie Hwy.
               Bowling Green, OH. 43402

      (800) 537-9429 or (419) 354-2591

Date: 14 May 87 16:59 EST
From: William E. Davidsen Jr <davidsen%kbsvax.tcpip@csbvax>

  Plexus has the type of thing you want in their optical disk system.
Call your local dealer or contact Walt Novinger (518) 438-6844.

Also ihnp4!chinet!sixhub!waltN

--
bill davidsen			sixhub \	ARPA: wedu@ge-crd.arpa
      ihnp4!seismo!rochester!steinmetz ->  crdos1!davidsen

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (05/26/87)

From: riddle@emory.UUCP (Larry Riddle)
Date: 21 May 87 02:21:09 GMT

I spoke with Thunderware today about their new version of Thunderscan
(advertised in the June issue of Macworld). If I understood the woman
on the phone correctly, the new version *will* do 300dpi scanning,
along with lots of other new stuff she mentioned but which I now don't
remember.  The product is not yet shipping but Thunderware is preparing
a newsletter which will be sent to all registered owners explaining the
new features and the upgrade policy.

--
Larry Riddle        |  {akgua,sb1,gatech}!emory!riddle   USENET
Emory University    |  riddle@emory                      CSNET,BITNET