[comp.text.desktop] PostScript on bit images

chuq@plaid.UUCP (05/30/87)

Date: Thu, 28 May 87 17:04:48 PDT
From: hoptoad!gnu (John Gilmore)

> Postscript is so incredibly poor at handling bit images that I'm
> about to die...
>                         how about if anyone is doing a faster,
> less expansive Postscript which emphasises speed for bit mapped
> graphics (if seems odd that postscript is SOOO poor at doing
> something that so many of us need to do)?

Actually, PostScript is not bad at bit images.  The problem really lies
with the "absolutely ascii or die" attitude taken by the PostScript
designers.

To dump a bitmapped image to a LaserWriter, it must be converted to ascii.
The traditional way (recommended by the PostScript manuals) is to convert
it to hexadecimal, immediately doubling its size, and the time required to
dump it to the printer.

Now it would be easy to just dump the raw bits to the printer (preceded by a
PostScript program that would read them in and print them) except that
Adobe screwed up the serial port driver on the LaserWriter.  They reserve
a bunch of control characters, which are interpreted by the driver, and
these cannot be turned off by a PostScript program.  If a bit pattern in your
bitmap happens to match control-T, the driver outputs a status message and
doesn't pass the character up to PostScript.

This misfeature also prevents you from writing a PostScript program
which emulates common printers, e.g. an Epson in graphics mode.  (You
could download the emulator once per power-cycle and print for days or
weeks with your host thinking it was talking to an Epson.)  It also
doesn't let you run compression on the data you are sending to the
printer.  A lot of bit maps compress very well, and PostScript has the
expressive power to write a decompresser (like zcat) without too much
trouble.

Adobe *did* fix the drivers in the LaserWriter Plus so that they will
run at more than 9600 baud, but they did *not* fix the trapping of
control characters.  I think it's against their religion or something.

I don't know if other PostScript printers have this problem.  I'm stuck
with a LaserWriter.  Let me know if you have a printer without this problem,
I might buy one and junk the LW.

Submissions to:   desktop%plaid@sun.com -OR- sun!plaid!desktop
Administrivia to: desktop-request%plaid@sun.com -OR- sun!plaid!desktop-request
Paths:  {ihnp4,decwrl,hplabs,seismo,ucbvax}!sun
Chuq Von Rospach	chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

Now, where did my ex-wife put my Fairy Dust?