[comp.text.desktop] TeX

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (05/13/87)

From: swatsun!brest@seismo.CSS.GOV (Jeremy Brest)
Date: 12 May 87 17:42:11 GMT

A couple of things in response to earlier postings:

1) There are actually two different version of TeX for the mac.
One is implimented by Kellerman and Smith, and marketed by Addison Wesley,
and the other is marketed by FTL (or something like that).  There are relevant
differenced between the two, as discussed in `Notices of the AMS,' Issue 250,
Volume 33, starting on page 741.  This is very much worth reading before
investing $800 (for one of the two), or substantially less, for (what I
think is) the better of the two.

2) The Unix TeX distribution from Washington costs, I think (I just paid this
much, at least), $100, a bit more than was earlier posted.

-jeremy brest
Swarthmore College

...seismo!bpa!swatsun!brest

Submissions to:   desktop%plaid@sun.com -OR- sun!plaid!desktop
Administrivia to: desktop-request%plaid@sun.com -OR- sun!plaid@desktop-request
Paths:  {ihnp4,decwrl,hplabs,seismo,ucbvax}!sun

Chuq Von Rospach	chuq@sun.COM		[I don't read flames]

There is no statute of limitations on stupidity

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (06/01/87)

From: geac!daveb@seismo.CSS.GOV (Dave Brown)
Date: 1 Jun 87 19:22:21 GMT

In article <18759@sun.uucp> chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>1) There are actually two different version of TeX for the mac.
>One is implimented by Kellerman and Smith, and marketed by Addison Wesley,
>and the other is marketed by FTL (or something like that).  There are relevant
>differenced between the two, as discussed in `Notices of the AMS,' Issue 250,
>Volume 33, starting on page 741.  This is very much worth reading before
>investing $800 (for one of the two), or substantially less, for (what I
>think is) the better of the two.

  As of this year, the two TeXes are called MacTeX and TeXtures:
previously they were both called MacTeX, causing some confusion.
  Kellerman & Smith manufacture TeXtures.
  FTL manufactures MacTeX.

  TeXtures is small, starts up noticeably faster, and slows down
(and can run out of mem) on files with math or more than 3 pages.
  MacTeX is large, starts up slowly and finishes faster, as well as doing
larger macro packages, documents, etc.  Regrettably, it costs more.
cost more.
  It is quite possible to include postscript or MacPaint images in
MacTeX documents and see them in the preview.  TeXtures should be
able to preview at least MacPaint now that it is in general release.

  Source of opinion: a benchmark (now in the hands of NASA) between
the beta versions of the two programs, done by me on a Mac+. I claim
a mild bias, having borrowed the Mac+ from the MacTeX developers.

 --dave (disclaimer::=<nil>) brown

Submissions to:   desktop%plaid@sun.com -OR- sun!plaid!desktop
Administrivia to: desktop-request%plaid@sun.com -OR- sun!plaid!desktop-request
Paths:  {ihnp4,decwrl,hplabs,seismo,ucbvax}!sun
Chuq Von Rospach	chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

Now, where did my ex-wife put my Fairy Dust?