[comp.text.desktop] Are you using Ventura

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (05/28/87)

From: sundc!eli!geller
Date: Wed, 27 May 87 1:22:10 PDT

Are you using Ventura Publisher on an AT? I'm trying to - I've
got an AT, Princeton Graphics Scanner, Wyse 700, 20 Mbyte HD.
Actually - things are quite good - except....

Postscript is so incredibly poor at handling bit images that I'm
about to die...GEM/ventura's lack of intelligent curses-like
screen knowledge is annoying (it often draws the ENTIRE screen
over for the littlelist things)...PC Paintbrush+ PCX files are
so bogus even Ventura Tech Support winces when I bring the
subject up...Dr Halo DPE can't deal with using the HD for
virtual page storage...Ventura can't even remember little things
like "last time I printer pages 3 through 7" -- maybe I still
want the same parameters!

Ugggghhh. Hey - version 1.0 is fairly decent. I'm really looking
forward to version 1.1. Have any interesting comments you can
share with me?

Couple of other things...

(1) confirmed with tech support - more than three bit images (PCX)
in separate frames will often NOT print on a postscript device

(2) postscript printer support should get a little faster in
1.1 as the appletalk crap need not be sent.

Also - anyone know when Phoenix is due out with their clone of
Postscript? Seriously - how about if anyone is doing a faster,
less expansive Postscript which emphasises speed for bit mapped
graphics (if seems odd that postscript is SOOO poor at doing
something that so many of us need to do)?

This is my first time in this group. Excuse the length of this
message, please. Let me hear from you if you are a Ventura
user. Also - I would like to do some real benchmarking with
Ventura across different configurations, etc. Want to help?

Submissions to:   desktop%plaid@sun.com -OR- sun!plaid!desktop
Administrivia to: desktop-request%plaid@sun.com -OR- sun!plaid!desktop-request
Paths:  {ihnp4,decwrl,hplabs,seismo,ucbvax}!sun
Chuq Von Rospach	chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

Now, where did my ex-wife put my Fairy Dust?

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (05/29/87)

Date: Thu, 28 May 87 09:58:24 PDT
From: jbarry@rambaud (John Barry)

I'm not using Ventura, but I do crave info on the product. Any tips,
techniques, sources, references, or lore you can provide will be
appreciated.

Same goes for PageMaker (Mac and PC versions). Any useful tips, especially
undocumented ones, you can provide will make my page.

Thanks,

John Barry

From: adobe!greid
Date: Thu, 28 May 87 10:51:21 -0700

>Postscript is so incredibly poor at handling bit images that I'm
>about to die...

PostScript's handling of bit images is not so bad.  Transmitting a bit
image across a 9600 baud line can take a long time.  Since the serial
port is used, the image is represented as hexadecimal, which of course
doubles the transmission time.  PostScript provides a completely
general mechanism to print bit images, and it works fine for lots of
people.  What about is "so incredibly poor?"  What would you like to
see it do differently?

Just curious,

Glenn Reid
Adobe Systems
PostScript Software Support

Date: 28 May 87 14:08:51 PDT
From: starkweather.pa@Xerox.COM

I have been using Ventura 1.0 on a PC/AT (8 MHz) for some time now. I am
also using an Apple LaserWriter+, Microtek scanner (MS300A) and a Viking
Monochrome Terminal (1280x960).
I am very pleased with the results. I have not run into your problems
since I have not used some of the equipment you mention and have only
printed two bitmaps at  a time on one page.

I am ordering 1.1 as well. While Ventura is not perfect, it does most of
what I want with great
ease. The high res Viking terminal is a real pleasure to use.

Gary Starkweather - Xerox PARC

chuq@plaid.UUCP (05/30/87)

Date: 29 May 87 04:41:32 PDT (Friday)
From: "Michael_Krause.ROCH"@Xerox.COM

    I had some interface a number of months ago with a local
services business... they sold services in varying degrees to
whomever walked through the door.  They have networked Ventura
Publisher with 3COM and AT clones and were using an HP Plus.  I
brought a VP document in to them to print and it took about 45
minutes to format the darn thing.  A while later I brought the
same document in to them and it took less than 1 minute to print.
The reason for the big difference was that they had since
installed a JLaser card.  Needless to say, when I can afford a
laser printer of my own, unless technology changes a lot in the
meantime, I'll also be installing a JLaser card to make life more
bearable.

Mike

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (06/01/87)

From: ihnp4!bakerst!bob
Date: 29 May 87 23:36:43 EDT (Fri)

I'm using Ventura on an IBM PC with 20meg hard disk and a HP Laserjet II
printer.  I've had good luck with Ventura, but some of the little things,
i.e., no memory on page ranges to print, etc., do irritate me a little.
The package has, on the whole, been satisfactory.

The main problems I've had have been with Ventura doing strange and
mysterious things with my documents after I've tried re-formatting
some text, for example, changing the font of some text I entered as
Box Text.  I was working with about a 16-page document, so memory
wasn't full, or shouldn't have been.  It has on different occasions,
with little warning, deleted or trashed parts of my text.  All of the
articles I'm putting together are entered in Wordstar format, and I'm
making a newspaper format-newsletter with about 20 articles or so.  I've
just gotten used to saving the chapter frequently as I go along, which
means I can usually get out pretty well if things get completely
screwed up.  I've seen it get so bad that when I exit from Ventura,
the software can't reload GEM because of memory allocation problems,
and the system is well and truly hung....

I'm hoping that Version 1.1 fixes some of the problems....

Bob White

 Mail: 5123 Ramillie Run           Usenet:  ihnp4!kitty!bakerst!bob
       Winston-Salem, NC  27106        or:  ihnp4!gladys!bob
Phone: (919) 924-0975
Submissions to:   desktop%plaid@sun.com -OR- sun!plaid!desktop
Administrivia to: desktop-request%plaid@sun.com -OR- sun!plaid!desktop-request
Paths:  {ihnp4,decwrl,hplabs,seismo,ucbvax}!sun
Chuq Von Rospach	chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

Now, where did my ex-wife put my Fairt@
a ext

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (06/01/87)

From: <ames!ucbcad!amber.berkeley.edu!oed>
Date: Fri, 29 May 87 17:00:35 pdt

Did you see the Feb. 10 issue of PC Mag where they reviewed both Ventura,
Pagemaker, et. al.?  Very informative issue--although you need to note that
Xerox and Aldus have recently made available newer versions of both.

I will soon be using Pagemaker on a IBM Model 30 in June in our office
(co-workers liked the "intuitiveness" of the page and commands) and Ventura
on a community project.  From hacking around in both I prefer Ventura much
more.  I like the flexibility and sophistication (kerning and leading) of
Ventura, the style sheets, text automatically wrapping around graphics,
etc. etc. (stuff you can read in PC Mag).  What I didn't like was the
relatively slow time it takes to redraw the screen (which it does each
time something is modified), and the fact that a three-column page is
treated as a page with three frames.  Regarding Pagemaker, I found it
cumbersome at times (found it sometimes easier to junk a page and start
all over) and not as flexible for longer documents.  I don't mind using
it for flyers or short documents, but this first version I found somewhat
limiting.

Debbie Fong

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (06/04/87)

From: kumar@hpcea.HP.COM (Arvind Kumar)
Date: 2 Jun 87 23:01:55 GMT

Speaking about Ventura, a netter wrote:

> ... a three-column page is
> treated as a page with three frames.

Not true at all.  Any frame can have from 1 to 8 columns.  Columns
serve as "containers" to pour text into, and can be added/removed
without fuss.

Frames are the fundamental units that make up a Ventura page.  Each
frame can hold text or graphics.  Although basic frames are
rectangular, you can overlap frames of different sizes to produce all
sorts of frame shapes.  Text flows around overlapping frames
automatically.  Any/all parameters of a frame, including number of
columns, can be changed at any time.

Arvind Kumar
  kumar@hplabs.hp.com

chuq@plaid.UUCP (06/08/87)

Date: Wed, 3 Jun 87 16:39:01 PDT
From: seismo!uunet!pilchuck.Data-IO.COM!ingrid (THE BLONDE)

Our department uses Ventura and an Apple LaserWriter to put out
all of our Marketing Communications literature...no major complaints.
I'd be interested in more specific details on the setup of the system
you're using, before I could really comment on any problems you've
been having....

Ingrid Tenggren (Data I/O Corp's Real Swede)
Engineering Writer
UUCP:{ihnp4|caip|tektronix|ucbvax}!uw-beaver!uw-entr!dataio!pilchuck!ingrid

"Zero dacka, smootcha crocka, hallaballooza bub.
That's the secret password that we use down at the club."

Date: Wed, 3 Jun 87 16:44:40 PDT
From: seismo!uunet!pilchuck.Data-IO.COM!ingrid (THE BLONDE)

>..comments requesting info on PageMaker....

Our group ALSO uses PageMaker. I like it a lot, although in the
future we'll be using Ventura to do our composition work. One thing
I need to mention is, BEWARE OF VERSION 1.2 PAGEMAKER.!!! I'm not
criticizing Aldus, the creators, at all....but this version is super
buggy!!! We just got 2.0 in and it's fine. One can convert (thank
heavens!) 1.2 files into 2.0 with only minor (a few lost tabs)
inconvieniences....

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (06/15/87)

Date: Wed, 10 Jun 87 15:41:27 AEST
From: munnari!runx.ips.oz!ronn@seismo.CSS.GOV (Ron Newton)

Of interest to Ventura users on an Olivetti M24.
If you choose the AT&T screen driver as oposed to the standard
driver suggested by most of the dealers then you have an eq. to
a EGA (well almost).