[comp.text.desktop] WEB system and CWEB

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (06/24/87)

From: Paul Schauble <Schauble@MIT-Multics.ARPA>

I'm surprised no one has previously followed up on this.

About three weeks ago, someone posted a message on Info-C making a
passing reference to CWEB. This was obviously a version Knuth's WEB
system converted to work with C.

I know just enough about WEB to know that I'm interested, and this
finally motivates me to want to know more.

I know that we have people from Stanford on the net. Can someone please
provide me with ordering information for any books or technical reports.
I understand that the WEB system is available in source. From where? And
what, if anything is available on CWEB? Who did this conversion? Is this
available?

As usual, please answer directly to me if possible. I'll post any
concrete information back to these groups.

                    Thanks in advance,
                    Paul
                    <Schauble at MIT-Multics.ARPA>

Submissions to:   desktop%plaid@sun.com -OR- sun!plaid!desktop
Administrivia to: desktop-request%plaid@sun.com -OR- sun!plaid!desktop-request
Paths:  {ihnp4,decwrl,hplabs,seismo,ucbvax}!sun
Chuq Von Rospach	chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

Now, where did my ex-wife put my Fairy Dust?

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (06/29/87)

Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1987 14:05-EDT
From: Peter.Su@gnome.cs.cmu.edu

>About three weeks ago, someone posted a message on Info-C making a
>passing reference to CWEB. This was obviously a version Knuth's WEB
>system converted to work with C.

Hi, I was the one who posted to info-c, and I did get some information
about CWEB.  It ends up they used C and troff, and it also costs 150
punds to get the tape from the people (they are from the Univ. of York).
Since troff is ugly, and I am poor, I thought about doing something for
myself (but with TeX and C).

Information about WEB is contained in two Standford TeX reports (sorry),
which you can probably get from Knuth himself, (DEK@sail or something).

They are "The WEB System of Structured Documentation" and "Literate
Programming."

The first one has documentation for WEB, and full sources (in WEB of
course), and the second is just a tutorial, and some experiences with
the system.  I've been playing with WEB and find it to be pretty neat,
but kind of crippled by pascal.  It also can get kind of confusing,
before you get used to it becauase it's hard to figure out what order
tangle will put things into when all is done.  On the whole though, it's
good, and it makes great listings!

It's not hard to get WEB, it's usually with any TeX distribution.  There
are also some people in Texas that did MacWEB, for MPW (info is in the
Texhax digest).  I was thinking about getting this and making it work
for C...but MPW pascal is not so bad.

Here is other info I got in the mail.

---- Message 9 (740 chars) is ----
From: mcvax!minster.york.ac.uk!harold@seismo.CSS.GOV

I think you are referring to

Experiences with Literate Programming Using CWEB
(A variant of Knuth's WEB),
Computer Journal, vol 29 no 3, pp201-211
by H. W. Thimbleby

---- Message 10 (1458 chars) is ----
From: Andrew Ormsby <mcvax!praxis!arto@seismo.CSS.GOV>

See "Literate Programming in C, Cweb Manual & Small Example" by
H.W.Thimbleby. This is a technical report available from the author at the
Department of Computer Science, University of York, YO1 5DD, UK.

Knuth mentions Thimbleby's Cweb in his original "Literate Programming"
paper.

Andrew Ormsby
UUCP: seismo!mcvax!ukc!praxis!arto
or try: arto%praxis.uucp@UKC.AC.UK

---- Message 9 (1280 chars) is ----
From: osupyr!gae@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Gerald Edgar)

Address for CWEB info:

Dept of COmputer Science
University of York
York, YO1 5DD, England

They sent me a 5 page licence agreement I had to sign.  The fee (educational
institution) was 150 pounds sterling.  I didn't get it.

--

  Gerald A. Edgar                               TS1871@OHSTVMA.bitnet
  Department of Mathematics                     edgar@osupyr.UUCP

...{akgua,gatech,ihnp4,ulysses}!cbosgd!osu-eddie!osupyr!gae

--
ARPA: hugo@gnome.cs.cmu.edu
UUCP: ...!{ucbvax,ihnp4,cmucspt}!hugo@gnome.cs.cmu.edu

	"There are reports that many executives make their decisions by
	 flipping coins or by throwing darts, etc.  It is also rumored that
	 some college professors prepare their grades on such a basis."
				- Donald Knuth

Submissions to:   desktop%plaid@sun.com -OR- sun!plaid!desktop
Administrivia to: desktop-request%plaid@sun.com -OR-
sun!plaid!desktop-request
Paths:  {ihnp4,decwrl,hplabs,seismo,ucbvax}!sun

Chuq Von Rospach	chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

Touch Not the Cat Bot a Glove -- MacIntosh Clan Motto