[comp.text.desktop] floating pictures

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (07/14/87)

Date: Tue, 14 Jul 87 10:13:05 EDT
From: sunne!ileaf!io!cabochon!chris (Chris Halter)

> If you really need WYSIWYG, then try WriteNow.  That is the only word
> processor I have seen that has something even resembling floating
> figures.

Interleaf's publishing software supports floating frames with a variety of
placement options.  Briefly, a graphics frame may have one of the following
position attributes relative to its text anchor.

* at anchor - The frame is placed at the anchor, in the text line containing it.
* top -	The frame is placed at the top of the page containing the anchor.
* bottom - The frame is placed at the bottom of the page containing the anchor.
* following anchor - The frame is placed following the line of text containing
  the anchor.
* following text - The frame is placed at the end of the text.

Generally, any time the frame doesn't fit on the current page it is pushed
to the next.  From Mike Klein's description, it seemed top/bottom floating
frames are what he needs and that "forcing figures to the next available page"
are part of the solution.  If my assumption is incorrect, I'd be interested in
getting a more detailed description of the problem.

Christine Halter		UUCP: ..!{sun!sunne,harvard!umb}!ileaf!chris
Interleaf Inc.			Internet: ileaf!chris@umb.edu
Manager of Product Planning

Submissions to:   desktop%plaid@sun.com -OR- sun!plaid!desktop
Administrivia to: desktop-request%plaid@sun.com -OR- sun!plaid!desktop-request
Paths:  {ihnp4,decwrl,hplabs,seismo,ucbvax}!sun