[comp.text.desktop] optimal paper for laserwriter?

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (07/13/87)

From: emory!riddle (Larry Riddle)
Date: 10 Jul 87 18:07:26 GMT

The column called Publish or Perish (no, it's not about academic tenure)
by Michael Wesley in the August issue of MacUser mentions the book
"Whale Song" that, according to Wesley, "is gorgeous, thanks to
some interesting techniques like the use of a **special paper** that
optimizes the LaserWriter output"

My question is, does anyone know what kind of paper does in fact
optimize the LaserWriter output? Is there a special weight, stock,
material...?

Thanks.

--
Larry Riddle        |  gatech!emory!riddle               USENET
Emory University    |  riddle@emory                      CSNET,BITNET

Submissions to:   desktop%plaid@sun.com -OR- sun!plaid!desktop
Administrivia to: desktop-request%plaid@sun.com -OR- sun!plaid!desktop-request
Paths:  {ihnp4,decwrl,hplabs,seismo,ucbvax}!sun

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (07/15/87)

From: elwell%tut.cis.ohio-state.edu@osu-eddie.UUCP (Clayton Elwell)
Date: 14 Jul 87 16:57:53 GMT

The best stuff I've found so far is Xerox 4024 Dual-Purpose 28 lb.
It's a lot heavier that normal copier paper, with a nice surface finish.

Hammermill Laser Plus isn't bad, but it seems to be over-rated.  It's
slightly better than cheap copier paper, as is Inmac Laser Paper.
-=-

Clayton Elwell

Arpa/CSNet:	Elwell@Ohio-State.ARPA
UUCP:		...!cbosgd!osu-eddie!elwell
Voice:		(614) 292-6546

Date: Wed, 15 Jul 87 09:02:51 PDT
From: mark@marcomix (Mark A. Bonacorso)

Book weight,  65lb to 80lb, coated, gloss, or dull, has worked best for
me. This will produce a blacker, denser image from the LaserWriter.

You might want to drop in to your local offset printer, and ask
for a few samples of the above. Try them out, and see which produces
the best results.

One problem you might have is that the LaserWriter toner won't
stick the this coated surface as well as to the copier bond that
you normally use.

Good Luck...

Mark A. Bonacorso
Sun Microsystems
Creative Services

august@Jpl-VLSI.ARPA (07/17/87)

>My question is, does anyone know what kind of paper does in fact
>optimize the LaserWriter output? Is there a special weight, stock,
>material...?

I have found that, for "camera-ready copy" (you know, that PERFECT version
of your paper ready to publish!), Hammermill Laser Plus paper works great.
You can not, however, print on both sides of this stuff as it is coated with
what is known as a "Wax Holdout" on the "back"side. Additionally the "back"
side is colored a light purple.

This paper is denser and brighter than other papers I have used. For "everyday"
use I still use the cheapo copier paper.

Richard August
August@JPL-VLSI.ARPA