[comp.text.desktop] Postscript output from Ventura

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (07/16/87)

Date: Sat, 11 Jul 87 17:16:22 cst
From: seismo!mnetor!alberta!sask!skatter!kuo (Dr. Peter Kuo)

A friend of mine send me a diskette with a Postscript output file generated
by Ventura (v1.0). I used MS-Kermit to send the file from my XT-clone to our
VAX (Ultrix) in text mode, hoping to print the file out on our Apple
LaserWriter. However, on first try, the LaserWriter complained the file was a
binary file! Upon close inspection, I found THREE control-D's in the file:
the first byte (before the %!), the last byte and one about 50 lines or so
from the top. I removed them, but then the LaserWriter spin its wheels for a
while and gave no output!

Is there something else I should have done (maybe a missing "header" file)?
I have read in this newsgroup that they have connected a PS device onto
their computer and have no problems, so I assume the output file from the
program would do the same. I would appreciate any comments and/or info on this
matter. Much thanks in advance!

... Peter/
Peter Kuo                   | Bitnet (VMS)  : KUO@SASK
Accelerator Laboratory      |
(a.k.a. The Beam Warehouse) | uucp   (Unix) : !alberta\
Univ. of Saskatchewan       |                 !ihnp4  -- !sask!skatter!kuo
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan     |                 !utcsri /
CANADA  S7N 0W0             |
(Earth)                     | Ma Bell       : (306) 966-6059

Disclaimer: I don't know what I am saying, so don't quote me on
	    anything! And I only speak for myself.

Submissions to:   desktop%plaid@sun.com -OR- sun!plaid!desktop
Administrivia to: desktop-request%plaid@sun.com -OR- sun!plaid!desktop-request
Paths:  {ihnp4,decwrl,hplabs,seismo,ucbvax}!sun

news@sun.uucp (news) (07/27/87)

>Date: Sat, 11 Jul 87 17:16:22 cst
>From: seismo!mnetor!alberta!sask!skatter!kuo (Dr. Peter Kuo)
>
>A friend of mine send me a diskette with a Postscript output file generated
>by Ventura (v1.0). I used MS-Kermit to send the file from my XT-clone to our
>VAX (Ultrix) in text mode, hoping to print the file out on our Apple
>LaserWriter. However, on first try, the LaserWriter complained the file was a
>binary file! Upon close inspection, I found THREE control-D's in the file:
>the first byte (before the %!), the last byte and one about 50 lines or so
>from the top. I removed them, but then the LaserWriter spin its wheels for a
>while and gave no output!

The control-D in the Ventura output is recognized by the LaserWriter as
and end-of-file.  When it receives one, it assures that what follows is
logically separate from the previous job.  Any local changes to VM are
restored, etc.  It is not the LW which is complaining about your file,
but probably Ultrix, or perhaps some other software in between.

Unfortunately, you cannot merely omit the control-D characters.  Ventura
output consists of two separate jobs (at least your version of Ventura does).
The first section (between the first ^D and the second) actually patches
a PostScript bug in PS version 23.0.  This corresponds to LaserWriter
firmware version 1.0.  Check your ID page (when you start the LW).  The
firmware version appears at the lower left corner of the bar graph.

If you remove the ^D characters, the two jobs will be merged and the LW
will become quietly confused.

Solutions?  If you don't have firmware version 1.0, you can probably omit
the patch (including the ^D at the beginning and after the patch).  If the
previous LW job is finished, your Ventura output should print.

The best solution is to find a way to transmit the ^D characters.

Good Luck.

Gary J. Wisniewski
Apex Software Corporation
Pittsburgh, PA
uucp: 	{allegra,bellcore,cadre}!pitt!darth!apex!gary
phone:	412-681-4343
Submissions to:   desktop%plaid@sun.com -OR- sun!plaid!desktop
Administrivia to: desktop-request%plaid@sun.com -OR- sun!plaid!desktop-request
Paths:  {ihnp4,decwrl,hplabs,seismo,ucbvax}!sun
Chuq Von Rospach	chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

We live and learn, but not the wiser grow -- John Pomfret (1667-1703)