[comp.text.desktop] LaserJet II Font Cartridges

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (07/16/87)

Date: Wed 15 Jul 87 14:32:22-PDT
From: Steve Dennett <DENNETT@SRI-NIC.ARPA>

We're planning on getting (finally!) some font cartridges for our
HP LaserJet II.  I've heard that some have better font implementations
than others (Helvetica???).  Does anyone have any recommendations
pro or con for various cartridges?  These would be used mainly for
correspondence, limited desktop publishing (wordprocessor stuff), etc.
Thanks for your suggestions.

Steve
 dennett@sri-nic.arpa
Submissions to:   desktop%plaid@sun.com -OR- sun!plaid!desktop
Administrivia to: desktop-request%plaid@sun.com -OR- sun!plaid!desktop-request
Paths:  {ihnp4,decwrl,hplabs,seismo,ucbvax}!sun

dboyes@uoregon%tektronix.tek.com (David Boyes) (07/17/87)

>We're planning on getting (finally!) some font cartridges for our
>HP LaserJet II.  I've heard that some have better font implementations
>than others (Helvetica???).  Does anyone have any recommendations
>pro or con for various cartridges?  These would be used mainly for
>correspondence, limited desktop publishing (wordprocessor stuff), etc.

You really have 2 options, downloadable fonts or cartridges. If you're
looking for simplicity, I'd recommend the HP Z (Microsoft) cartridge --
it's got both Times and Helvetica in a wide range of common sizes in the
same cartridge. We've got several and they work fine from Word,
Pagemaker, Windows and Word Perfect(after we tweaked the printer drivers
-- WP isn't very bright about such things).

 If you have disk space to kill (about 1-2M), I'd recommend going with
 downloadable fonts. They're cheaper (about $125 compared to $220 for
 the Z cartridge)and more flexible. The tradeoff is that they take time
 to download before any printing occurs -- parallel interface to your
 machines is highly recommended if you go this route.

--
David Boyes                   ARPA: 556%OREGON1.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Systems Division              BITNET: 556@OREGON1
Submissions to:   desktop%plaid@sun.com -OR- sun!plaid!desktop
Administrivia to: desktop-request%plaid@sun.com -OR- sun!plaid!desktop-request
Paths:  {ihnp4,decwrl,hplabs,seismo,ucbvax}!sun

news@sun.uucp (news) (07/17/87)

I've heard that HP will offer a Postscript upgrade for their
Laserjet II. Do you have some more information ? (HP in Austria
is a bit dull.)
Thanx.

Rup Grafendorfer
c/o KEBA, Gewerbehof C
A-4040 Linz,Austria,Europe
++43-732-230911-94
UUCP: mcvax!tuvie!keba!rup
Submissions to:   desktop%plaid@sun.com -OR- sun!plaid!desktop
Administrivia to: desktop-request%plaid@sun.com -OR- sun!plaid!desktop-request
Paths:  {ihnp4,decwrl,hplabs,seismo,ucbvax}!sun
Chuq Von Rospach	chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

We live and learn, but not the wiser grow -- John Pomfret (1667-1703)

SHULL@wharton-10.arpa (07/17/87)

>Steve (dennett@sri-nic.arpa) asks about font cartridges for the HP LJ II.

Be sure you check out HP (and other) SoftFonts before you buy the hardware
cartridges.  They are much less expensive and seem to provide many more
fonts.  The license also allows their use on up to three (yes, 3!) printers
at once.  Some software even seems to know what to do with these fonts,
although not all software, nor all fonts.

Good luck!

-Chris

Christopher E. Shull
Decision Sciences Department
The Wharton School                        Shull@Wharton.UPenn.Edu
3620 Locust Walk
Philadelphia, PA  19104-6366              215/898-5930

davidsen@steinmetz. (07/27/87)

|From: Steve Dennett <DENNETT@SRI-NIC.ARPA>
|
|We're planning on getting (finally!) some font cartridges for our
|HP LaserJet II.  I've heard that some have better font implementations
|than others (Helvetica???).  Does anyone have any recommendations
|pro or con for various cartridges?  These would be used mainly for
|correspondence, limited desktop publishing (wordprocessor stuff), etc.
|Thanks for your suggestions.

Don't do it! Look at the softfonts first. I have times roman and
helvetica, which come in all reasonable size 6-22 pt at least, in
portrait and landscape. Get the font loader, too. It greatly simplifies
creating a file which may be downloaded.

If you're not on a DOS machine, you can still use the font loader and
fonts to prepare files, then move them from DOS to whatever box drives
the printer.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)
  {chinet | philabs | sesimo}!steinmetz!crdos1!davidsen

michael@seismo.CSS.GOV (08/03/87)

> Don't do it! Look at the softfonts first. I have times roman and
> helvetica, which come in all reasonable size 6-22 pt at least, in
> portrait and landscape. Get the font loader, too. It greatly simplifies
> creating a file which may be downloaded.

I have to agree.  We have two different font modules in our unit.  One is a
font cartridge "F" the other a softfont "AC".  The "F" has helvetica in bold
only after your reach 14 point size and a line draw set.  Not much for $250.
Softfont "AC" is a better buy. Times roman and helvetica from 6 point to 30
point.  Most with italics and bold format.  Price: $200 (including download
software)

I modded the basic programs that it comes with and it now reads our font
selections from a file and sends them to the printer as part of the boot
sequence.  We have 11 fonts loaded in an HP series II with 2 MB of RAM.

Michael Duebner				UUCP : ...ihnp4!ddsw1!michael
           (Help is only a phone call away for members of AERA)