[comp.text.desktop] Desktop Publishing in Nicaragua

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (12/10/87)

[This is from the December 87 issue of Publish!.
 Thought it might be of interest]

		Revolucion! on the Desktop
In North America, the hyped-up headlines and overblown ad copy may have
reduced the "revolution" in desktop publishing to a meaningless buzzword.
But in Central America, the fledgling technology is being used to help a
real revolution.

The Tecnica Printers Project--a group of American computer scientists,
engineers, and publishing experts--has met with the staff of one of
Nicaragua's daily newspapers, Barricada, published by the FSLN (Sandinista
National Liberation Front), to help replace the paper's ancient and failure-
prone typesetting equipment with a desktop publishing system.

"The exciting thing is how people like ourselves, raised in the technological
age and having taken literacy for granted, can now take the fruits of this
technology to a country where none of these benefits exist," said Dee Knight of
PC Publishing Consulting of New York City.

The San Francisco-based Tecnica has been working with Knight to gather
donations of money and printing and computer equipment for the new project.
By next spring, Knight and Tecnica hope to equip Barricada with PC XT clones,
laser printers, and the soon-to-be-released Spanish-language version of
Ventura Publisher.

--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549,
Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX or 527-3385

poetry@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (David Goodman) (12/12/87)

In article <36029@sun.uucp> fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) writes:
>[This is from the December 87 issue of Publish!.
> Thought it might be of interest]
>
>		Revolucion! on the Desktop
>In North America, the hyped-up headlines and overblown ad copy may have
>reduced the "revolution" in desktop publishing to a meaningless buzzword.
>But in Central America, the fledgling technology is being used to help a
>real revolution.

It would greatly interest me what the purpose of this posting was,
why was it approved by the moderator and whether there is a similar
group of concerned computer scientists who try to help the government
oppostion press.

Thank you in advance.

						i.e.