[comp.text.desktop] MS Windows and Aldous Pagemaker

epub%cariboo.bcc.cdn@UBC.CSNET (Troy Welch) (02/20/88)

I am running Pagemaker and MS-Windows on an AT-Clone with a Seagate 251
hard drive, a 2Mb Rampage (AST) card, and  Moniterm Viking1. Nowhere in
the Pagemaker or Windows documentation does it specifically say that
these software packages will not run at the higher AT clock speeds.
Furthermore, since the At is the recommended unit I can only assume
that the packages were intended to run at all of the clock speeds. This
assumption was probably my first mistake.

Is anyone out there running these packages successfully at the higher
clock speeds, do they run at the higher clock speeds, and if so can
anyone shed any light on my problem?

Also, does anyone know of any Envoy100 Bulletin Boards relating to Desktop

Publishing, it's hardware and software, etc?
Submissions to:   desktop%plaid@sun.com -OR- sun!plaid!desktop
Administrivia to: desktop-request%plaid@sun.com -OR- sun!plaid!desktop-request
Paths:  {ihnp4,decwrl,hplabs,seismo,ucbvax}!sun
Chuq Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

                       What do you mean 'You don't really want to hurt her?'
                                    I'm a Super-Villain! That's my Schtick!

news@sun.uucp (news) (02/25/88)

In article <42597@sun.uucp> epub%cariboo.bcc.cdn@UBC.CSNET (Troy Welch) writes:
>I am running Pagemaker and MS-Windows on an AT-Clone with a Seagate 251
>hard drive, a 2Mb Rampage (AST) card, and  Moniterm Viking1. Nowhere in
>the Pagemaker or Windows documentation does it specifically say that
>these software packages will not run at the higher AT clock speeds.
>Furthermore, since the At is the recommended unit I can only assume
>that the packages were intended to run at all of the clock speeds. This
>assumption was probably my first mistake.

>Is anyone out there running these packages successfully at the higher
>clock speeds, do they run at the higher clock speeds, and if so can
>anyone shed any light on my problem?

We are running Windows 2.03 along with PageMaker 1.0A on a Compaq 386 and
a Televideo 386, both operating at 16 mhz.  Used to run the old version of
Windows (1.04) with the same version of PM on the same machines as well as a
Telecat 286 operating at 8mhz with an St-251.

"I feel the need for speed" crank that baby up as far as it can go.  If your
memory is fast enough it will be ok.

We will be trying out Windows 386 in the next few days.  Hope it still works
with PM.
--
Michael Duebner	                UUCP : ddsw1!michael
Technical Services, Buffalo Grove, IL   312/541-6550
Submissions to: desktop@plaid.sun.com
Administrivia to: desktop-request@plaid@sun.com
UUCP: {amdahl,decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4}!sun!plaid!desktop{-request}

news@sun.uucp (news) (03/01/88)

>> Is anyone out there running these packages successfully at the higher  clock
>> speeds,  do  they  run at the higher clock speeds, and if so can anyone shed
>> any light on my problem?

> We are running Windows 2.03 along with PageMaker 1.0A on a Compaq 386  and  a
> Televideo  386,  both  operating  at  16 mhz.  Used to run the old version of
> Windows (1.04) with the same version of PM on the same machines as well as  a
> Telecat  286  operating  at 8mhz with an St-251.  "I feel the need for speed"
> crank that baby up as far as it can go.  If your memory  is  fast  enough  it
> will be ok.  We will be trying out Windows 386 in the next few days.  Hope it
> still works with PM.

I am running Aldus PageMaker 1.0a with MicroSoft Windows 386.  The System is an
AT&T  6386  WGS  with a 16MHz clock, 135Mb hard disk with an EDSI card.  I have
had no problems.  I would recommend that you read the README.TXT file (it is in
the  directory  that  you  installed Windows 386 in), and the PostScript readme
file that is on the driver disk (I believe it is disk number  two).   The  only
thing that I did was to convert the Bitstream screen fonts.

I have a question of any PageMaker/Windows/PostScript user:

PostScript knows the extended character set.  PageMaker shows the characters of
the screen.  The PostScript printer (both a QMS 800-II and VT600 Plus) show the
character  as  a  dot.   What  is  wrong?   Is  it   the   PostScript   Driver?
(PSCRIPT.DRV)?   It  happens with every driver that I have used.  (Bitstream [I
have two of these], Aldus, MicroSoft [I have two of these also].)
--
  / __ \ |__   __| /   _ \ |__   __|  -====------    Unix System Administrator