[comp.text.desktop] Need info on document languages

news@sun.uucp (news) (07/14/88)

I need information on Standard Graphics Markup Language (SGML) and
Standard Document Markup Language.  Specifically:

	o  what are they?

	o  why would I want to use either of them?

	o  how do they differ functionally from PostScript (tm)?

	o  what documentation is available?

	o  what types of information can be encoded with these
	   langauges?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff Marchese
{sun,ames,att}!pacbell!ptsfa!jem
(415)823-5163

Submissions to: desktop@plaid.sun.com
Administrivia to: desktop-request@plaid.sun.com
UUCP: {amdahl,decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4}!sun!plaid!desktop{-request}
Archives can be gotten from the archive-server.
To get information on the archive-server, send mail to:
archive-server@plaid.sun.com -or- sun!plaid!archive-server
with a subject line of help

romwa@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Mark Dornfeld) (07/17/88)

In article <59744@sun.uucp> news@sun.uucp (news) writes:
>I need information on Standard Graphics Markup Language (SGML) and
>Standard Document Markup Language.  Specifically:
>
>	o  what are they?
The only SGML I'm aware of stands for Standard Generalized
Markup Language. I do not claim that this is the only facility
to use the SGML acronym.  SGML is an ISO standard (# 8879) and
is a generic language for marking up text.  It has virtually
no facilities for marking up graphics other than indicating
the location of a graphic element in a document and perhaps
the file name of the graphic.

SGML requires a parser and a formatting program to produce
text.  Troff or Tex are excellent for this kind of process.

>	o  why would I want to use either of them?
SGML is independant of any hardware or formatting program.
Thus it can be used as a corporate standard for data archives
or Records Management.  It is also being adopted by numerous
typesetters.  This should make publishing a little more
competitive since editing need only go to the SGML stage and
no system-specific commands will be embedded in the document.

>	o  how do they differ functionally from PostScript (tm)?
SGML is not a programming language.  There is no analogy
there.

>	o  what documentation is available?
ISO standards document:  Ref. No. ISO 8879-1986 (E).

There is also a publication of the American Association of
Publishers (AAP) dealing with their adoption of the standard.

>	o  what types of information can be encoded with these
>	   langauges?
Any kind of information can be designated, but the types of
information depend on the power of the formatter.  I don't see
why SGML can't be translated into a format for a technical
publishing system such as Interleaf.  We translate it into
troff and Ventura.

>Thanks in advance.
>
>Jeff Marchese
>{sun,ames,att}!pacbell!ptsfa!jem