[comp.text.desktop] FrameMaker file format needed

hmm@laura.UUCP (Hans-Martin Mosner) (01/20/89)

Hello all,
I am in need for a description of FrameMaker's internal file format.  Every
piece of information may help.  Reason: we get documentation files in
FrameMaker format and don't want to use FrameMaker ourselves
(partly because we think it's ugly, partly because we mostly work on non-Suns).
We want to transform the information as faithfully as possible into the
formats supported by other desktop publishing/wordprocessing/typesetting
programs.  I have some experience in writing transformers for binary file
formats, so a basic description of the structure would probably be enough
for starters.

If you've got any information, please send it to hmm@unido.uucp.

	Thanks in advance,
	Hans-Martin

PS: No, I have not yet written to Frame directly.  In my experience responses
from the net get here much faster...
--
Hans-Martin Mosner		| Don't tell Borland about Smalltalk - |
hmm@unido.{uucp,bitnet}		| they might invent Turbo Smalltalk !  |

chuck@melmac.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) (01/24/89)

In article <922@laura.UUCP> hmm@laura.UUCP (Hans-Martin Mosner) writes:
>Hello all,
>I am in need for a description of FrameMaker's internal file format.  Every
>piece of information may help.  Reason: we get documentation files in
>FrameMaker format and don't want to use FrameMaker ourselves
>(partly because we think it's ugly, partly because we mostly work on non-Suns).

I don't know the internal format, because any licensed Frame user simply
uses MIF (Maker Interchange Format) when he needs to play with the file
format.  Can you get you docs in MIF, rather than Maker format?

>PS: No, I have not yet written to Frame directly.  In my experience responses
>from the net get here much faster...

This seems rather silly.  Send mail to sun!frame!comments and see what they
say.  If I were them... well, let's see what they say.

Chuck Musciano
Advanced Technology Department
Harris Corporation
(407) 727-6131
ARPA: chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com

mhsc@oce-rd1.oce.nl (Maarten Schoonwater) (01/24/89)

Frame has a well defined interchange format called MIF (Maker
Interchange Format). It is an ASCII format and described in the manual.
You will never get the binary format from Frame, this is always
regarded as top secret by the manufacturer. We have used MIF to write a
converter from Frame lay out to our Oce 6750 laserprinter and we found
it easy to use. The logical information is also in MIF.

Maarten Schoonwater
Oce Nederland BV
PODA project
mhsc@oce.nl
-----

 This note does not necessarily represent the position
 of Oce-Nederland B.V. Therefore no liability or
 responsibility for whatever will be accepted.

cplai@daisy.UUCP (Chung-Pang Lai) (01/25/89)

]
]This seems rather silly.  Send mail to sun!frame!comments and see what they
]say.  If I were them... well, let's see what they say.
]

Frame has a policy to reply any e-mail within 24 hours.  Even they don't have
an answer, they will let you know they are working on it.  I just hope all
company would do the same.

--
.signature under construction ...

pyramid!daisy!cplai    C.P. Lai
Daisy Systems Corp, 700B Middlefield Road, Mtn View CA 94039.  (415)960-6961