[comp.text.desktop] Word

louis@auvax.UUCP (Louis Schmittroth) (02/05/89)

I have been asked to recommend wordprocessing (text-processing)
software to a small office which is installing SCO Xenix and a
HP LaserJet II printer.  There will be two terminals doing general
office documents, but they want to use the laser printer as something
more than a fast typewriter. They are not looking for real desktop
publishing, but would like to use various fonts at various sizes in
their documents, and also include graphics from spreadsheets.
They will have only Hercules compatible graphics on a monochrome
monitor at the console and Wyse 60 terminals otherwise.

I am familiar with the Elan Software EROFF system which is
quite good, but is hard for novices to learn and get good at.
I have looked at Microsoft WORD from SCO, but am not impressed
with the support for the HP II that comes with the package.
Does anyone out there have some advice?  If I thought
that there was good support for downloadable fonts for WORD, I would
be inclined to choose it.  Should I be looking at some other package?

--

Louis Schmittroth, Computer Science, Athabasca University
auvax!louis

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (02/07/89)

In article <859@auvax.UUCP> louis@auvax.UUCP (Louis Schmittroth) writes:

>I have been asked to recommend wordprocessing (text-processing)
>software to a small office which is installing SCO Xenix and a
>HP LaserJet II printer.  There will be two terminals doing general
>office documents, but they want to use the laser printer as something

If it is a 386 I would recommend WordPerfect.  Granted it is version
4.2, it is still one of the best.

JB

--
Jonathan Bayer			      Beware: The light at the end of the
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.	      tunnel may be an oncoming dragon