[comp.text.desktop] A zillion files in the System Folder

rcbaem@eutrc3.UUCP (Ernst Mulder) (02/15/89)

 The problem with the HFS file system is that ALL folders are really
separate tree-entries. So when I create a file INITs or whatever in the
System Folder they can't be seen by INIT 31 which looks only in the
System Folder itself. What I would suggest is a new type of Folder,
maybe give it a different name, which is TRANSPARENT to the
path it's located in. Graphically a bit like this

                        Folder 1
                     /     |        \
            Folder 2    Folder 3    Folder 4 // Map 1 // Map 2
             /   \                       |
      Folder 5  Folder 6               Folder 7

 It's difficult to draw diagrams 'live' :)

 Anyway: The 'Folder's are the ordinary kind of HFS folders. What I
temperally called 'Map's are non-HFS folders. So, from Folder 4 I
can see a folder called Folder 7 AND (!!) the contents of Map 1 and
Map 2.

 This way I can keep my System Folder (and other folders) 'neat'.

 Hmmm, what icon should it have? Something close to a folder at least,
since it is a kind of folder but the again it should be visible
whether it's HFS or not. Maybe it could just be a folder's property?
I mean something like the finder-attributes?

 I hope this letter's not too puzzling. :)

 Ernst.

jurjen@cwi.nl (Jurjen N.E. Bos) (02/15/89)

In article <481@eutrc3.UUCP> rcbaem@eutrc3.UUCP (Ernst Mulder) writes:
>What I would suggest is a new type of Folder,
>maybe give it a different name, which is TRANSPARENT to the
>path it's located in. Graphically a bit like this

We had this discussion a while ago, and the conclusion was that it was not a good
idea.  There is already a folder.
We can see it as an operating system flaw that the INIT scanner does not search,
for example, System Folder:INITs or something.
It is very user-unfriendly to make two different kinds of folders, that are only
a difference for the computer, and not for the user.  This is only puzzling.
--
  -- Jurjen N.E. Bos (jurjen@cwi.nl)

aberg@math.rutgers.edu (Hans Aberg) (02/17/89)

There is a rumour that Apple will at some point allow for
distinguished folders inside the System Folder.

Hans Aberg