[comp.text.desktop] Transferring text betweening machines.

cng@otter.hpl.hp.com (Cheh Goh) (03/16/89)

Does anyone out there know of a simple way of transferring a book
worth of manuascript (a few hundred pages) in Locus to MacWrite?

fad@think.COM (Franklin A Davis) (03/21/89)

In article <3070001@otter.hpl.hp.com> cng@otter.hpl.hp.com (Cheh Goh) writes:
>Does anyone out there know of a simple way of transferring a book
>worth of manuascript (a few hundred pages) in Locus to MacWrite?

I think you will have big problems managing a book's worth of text in
MacWrite, unless you break it into small sections.

You would do much better with a higher-powered word processer for the
Mac, such as MS-Word or FullWrite Professional.

To transfer the text, you need to be able to save it as ASCII.  There
should be a command for that in Locus (what machine is that on?)

Then, you can use various file-transfer methods to move the files.

Kermit is a simple solution for transferring files, the program is
free, it runs on pretty much every machine, and it handles basic ascii
text conversions, such as newlines.  It does NOT help you preserve
formatting information, such as fonts and type sizes.

Other file transfer programs would work fine.

--Franklin

  franklin a davis  Thinking Machines Corp. Cambridge, MA 02142   617-876-1111
  <fad@think.com>   {topaz, harvard, uunet}!think!fad
                                   If you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind