[comp.text.desktop] Graphics Conversion Tool for the PC

vega@pyuxd.UUCP (Walt Vega) (03/23/89)

HELP!

Need to know if anyone knows of a product (yup for the PC)
that will convert TIFF to DCX file format for a CAD package
that a friend of mine is using.

Is there a software package that can do this??

If so, is it commercial or public domain?

And where/how can I get a copy??

Any help would sure be appreciated.

thanks,
Walt Vega
...!pyuxd!vega

sekoppenhoef@rose.waterloo.edu (03/23/89)

In article <740@pyuxd.UUCP> vega@pyuxd.UUCP (Walt Vega) writes:
 :
 :Need to know if anyone knows of a product (yup for the PC)
 :that will convert TIFF to DCX file format for a CAD package

Does anyone have docs on DCX file format? If so could you email me? THANX :-)
Shawn Koppenhoefer  CS C&O, University of Waterloo, Canada N2L 3G1       _ _
                    sekoppenhoef@waterloo  { .CSNET or .CDN or .EDU }     <
Klein bottle for sale...  enquire within                                  -

cem@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Malloy) (03/24/89)

HELP!

> Need to know if anyone knows of a product (yup for the PC) that
> will convert TIFF to DCX file format for a CAD package that a
> friend of mine is using.  Is there a software package that can
> do this?? If so, is it commercial or public domain? And where/how
> can I get a copy?? Any help would sure be appreciated.

Since a TIF file is paint format (bitmapped) and DCX is draw format,
I would doubt very much that it would be possible to convert
automatically.  I suppose that it would possible with a package like
Adobe Illustrator, if you use the TIF file as a template and then
re-draw the drawing and then save it in a draw format.  You could then
use the file in Auto-Cadd.  The only reason that I use Illustrator in
the example, is that it has an auto-trace tool.  You could also use
Micrografx Designer or Arts & Letters Graphic Composer.  (I have and
use all three.)  But then why use Auto-Cadd at all, just stay with the
draw package.

Clancy Malloy
AT&T Bell Labs
att!ihlpf!cem