[comp.text.desktop] How big are scanned bitmaps and how small can they be made?

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (03/25/89)

I would be interested in experiences people have had in scanning pages
of text or line drawings and reducing them.  Do people have any figures
for average sizes of the reduced bitmaps?

Tools like FAX use run-length encoding and some huffman to reduce their
bitmaps.  Are there any tools around that go significantly better.
(Other than OCR, of course.)

How small does a typical 8.5 by 11 page of stuff get when scanned at
300 by 300 and compressed?  I would guess 40K, but I would like to
find something that can take it down to 10K by being really smart about
what's being scanned.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

rick@pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) (03/25/89)

In article <3003@looking.UUCP> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
>I would be interested in experiences people have had in scanning pages
>of text or line drawings and reducing them.  Do people have any figures
>
>How small does a typical 8.5 by 11 page of stuff get when scanned at
>300 by 300 and compressed?  I would guess 40K, but I would like to

Define 'typical'.  An image I have here that is just few line drawings
has these stats:
			TIFF		TIFF		TIFF
	   SIZE		NO CODING	PACKBITS	LZW
figure	2271 x 2540	721,702		60,980		24,290
	x 1 bit

That seems to be close to your guesstimate when LZW is used inside
the TIFF file.  But there really isn't much info in this drawing.

--
Rick Richardson | JetRoff "di"-troff to LaserJet Postprocessor|uunet!pcrat!dry2
PC Research,Inc.| Mail: uunet!pcrat!jetroff; For anon uucp do:|for Dhrystone 2

jerryd@hpgrla.HP.COM (Jerry Donovan) (03/28/89)

>>I would be interested in experiences people have had in scanning pages
>>of text or line drawings and reducing them.  Do people have any figures
>>
>>How small does a typical 8.5 by 11 page of stuff get when scanned at
>>300 by 300 and compressed?  I would guess 40K, but I would like to
>
>Define 'typical'.  An image I have here that is just few line drawings
>has these stats:
>			TIFF		TIFF		TIFF
>	   SIZE		NO CODING	PACKBITS	LZW
>figure	2271 x 2540	721,702		60,980		24,290
>	x 1 bit
>
>That seems to be close to your guesstimate when LZW is used inside
>the TIFF file.  But there really isn't much info in this drawing.

Yea, whatever typical means.  Out of curiosity, I took a paper I am
currently working on and scanned it as line art and checked file
size on the resulting images.  The paper was all text of mostly 8
pt size.  Counting the characters in one line and multiplying by
the approxamate number of lines says that the page contained about
2500 characters. I then ran both the compressed and uncompressed TIFF
images into PKARC to see what that program would do for the images.

No compression TIFF                    1053042 bytes
Compressed TIFF                         106828 bytes
PKARC (Squeezed) on Compressed TIFF     104912 bytes
PKARC (Crunched) on No compression TIFF  99502 bytes

Hope this helps.

Jerry Donovan
...!hplabs!hpfcla!hpgrla!jerryd

elt@entire.UUCP (Edward L. Taychert) (03/28/89)

In article <3003@looking.UUCP>, brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:

> How small does a typical 8.5 by 11 page of stuff get when scanned at
> 300 by 300 and compressed?  I would guess 40K, but I would like to
> find something that can take it down to 10K by being really smart about
> what's being scanned.

It all depends on the source, but fax group 4 format should get you
down in your target numbers.

For Brad: Copyright 1989, Edward L. Taychert - All rights reserved.

Ed Taychert
	    ...!rochester!rocksanne!entire!elt