[comp.text.desktop] looking for a Postscript converter program

randall@thor.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Randall Rathbun) (04/07/89)

HELP! I was given the wrong information about the type of HP
printer that was going to be used with the Personal Composer
Music program on an IBM XT compatible.

The printer turned out to be a Deskjet, not a Laserjet II. Un-
fortunately the music program outputs files in page format not
in line format.

Does anyone have a program, or can point me to a source, whereby
I can print out Postscript page files on the HP Deskjet printer?

Your help is greatly appreciated.
				    - Randall
Please respond via email.

Randall.Rathbun@SanDiego.NCR.COM     tele: 619-485-2999/2358/3272
NCR E&M - S.D. Dept 2861   16550 W Bernardo Dr.  San Diego  92127

cplai@daisy.UUCP (Chung-Pang Lai) (04/08/89)

]
]Does anyone have a program, or can point me to a source, whereby
]I can print out Postscript page files on the HP Deskjet printer?

Looks like you are way off.  Even a Laserjet II cannot print
PostScript without a hardware upgrade.  QMS JetScript is what
you need if you have a LJ II.  For a Deskjet?  Someone else may
be able to help you, not me!

You probably should file for consumer fraud.

Good Luck!

--
.signature under construction ...
{pyramid, osu-cis, uunet, killer}!daisy!cplai    C.P. Lai

mark@kodak.UUCP (Mark Hilliard) (04/12/89)

In article <2908@daisy.UUCP> cplai@daisy.UUCP (Chung-Pang Lai) writes:
>In article <1226@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM> randall@thor.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Randall Rathbun) writes:
>]The printer turned out to be a Deskjet, not a Laserjet II.

I do not know what operating system you are using, but YES, you can print
postscript files on the HP Deskjet, in fact, I have been doing it for
for several months.  For you DOS users, there are 2 programs that have
drivers for Deskjet postscript: GOSCRIPT and FREEDOM OF PRESS.  I have
tested both, and found FOP to be a little better, but it costs 2x as
much as GS.  Both programs let you use your host processor to run
a postscript interpiter. There is a postscript processor board from
Everex, called the POST CARD PLUS.  I also have this board intstalled.
It provides 3 to 5 meg of ram, a 12meg 80186 cpu, and the postscript
program.  When installed, it becomes a LPT: port, and works GREAT. I think
that the board costs around 1.7k now, but it drives SEVERAL printers
including the Deskjet.

jimw@guardian.UUCP (Jim Willing) (04/12/89)

In article <1226@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM>, randall@thor.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Randall Rathbun) writes:
> The printer turned out to be a Deskjet, not a Laserjet II. Un-
> fortunately the music program outputs files in page format not
> in line format.
>
> Does anyone have a program, or can point me to a source, whereby
> I can print out Postscript page files on the HP Deskjet printer?

There is a program called 'Go-Script' that runs on PC compatable
systems and is a reasonably good Postscript interpreter.  I run it
with a HP LaserJet II and am quite happy with the results.  I believe
it also has a driver for the Deskjet as well...  Retails for about
$200.00

--
usually found at:   ..tektronix!tessi!bucket!jimw   | Any Vax 750 that is
              or:   .. tessi!bucket!guardian!jimw   | to be thrown out in

howeird@hpwrce.HP.COM (Howard Stateman) (04/13/89)

>postscript files on the HP Deskjet, in fact, I have been doing it for
>for several months.  For you DOS users, there are 2 programs that have
>drivers for Deskjet postscript: GOSCRIPT and FREEDOM OF PRESS.  I have
>tested both, and found FOP to be a little better, but it costs 2x as
>much as GS.  Both programs let you use your host processor to run
>a postscript interpiter. There is a postscript processor board from
>Everex, called the POST CARD PLUS.  I also have this board intstalled.
>It provides 3 to 5 meg of ram, a 12meg 80186 cpu, and the postscript
>program.  When installed, it becomes a LPT: port, and works GREAT. I think
>that the board costs around 1.7k now, but it drives SEVERAL printers
>including the Deskjet.

You haven't really given him much of a solution. For the cost of that
Everex board, plus the software you mention, he can go out and buy
a postscript printer. That Postcard+ is NOT a trivial item, as your
message implies. It's the equivalent of buying a PostScript upgrade
for a Laserjet.

Howard Stateman, Hewlett-Packard Response Center, Mountain View, CA
howeird@hpwrce.HP.COM      or     hplabs!hpwrce!howeird
Sysop of the Anatomically Correct BBS (415) 364-3739
"Nothing can be said so correctly that it cannot be twisted."
                                               - Spinoza

kjk@PacBell.COM (Ken Keirnan) (04/17/89)

In article <7650002@hpwrce.HP.COM> howeird@hpwrce.HP.COM (Howard Stateman) writes:

[ text about GO-SCRIPT, FREEDOM-OF-THE-PRESS and a hardware PostScript
  card deleted ]

>You haven't really given him much of a solution. For the cost of that
>Everex board, plus the software you mention, he can go out and buy
>a postscript printer. That Postcard+ is NOT a trivial item, as your
>message implies. It's the equivalent of buying a PostScript upgrade
>for a Laserjet.

GO-SCRIPT and FREEDOM-OF-THE-PRESS are stand alone software packages
that require no additional hardware other than one of the supported
dot matrix, ink jet or laser printers.  They are *sloooow* but they work!
For just under $200, Go-Script comes with fonts emulating the original
13 Laser-Writer typefaces, and for $200 more ($400 total) you get
emulations (Bitstream) of all 35 current standard PostScript printer
fonts.  If you happen to be fortunate enough to have a fast 286 or
386 DOS machine, the processing speed should be tolerable for the home
or "business on a budget".

Go-Script supports the HP Deskjet and produces "laser quality" output
(at least in my opinion).

Don't get me wrong, a *real* PostScript printer is much more convenient,
but Go-Script and F-O-P work and the price is right.

--

Ken Keirnan - Pacific Bell - {att,bellcore,sun,ames,pyramid}!pacbell!pbhyf!kjk
  San Ramon, California	                    kjk@pbhyf.PacBell.COM

dauksa@ecf.toronto.edu (Linas P Dauksa) (04/20/89)

In article <5032@pbhyf.PacBell.COM> kjk@PacBell.COM (Ken Keirnan) writes:

>GO-SCRIPT and FREEDOM-OF-THE-PRESS are stand alone software packages
>that require no additional hardware other than one of the supported
>dot matrix, ink jet or laser printers.  They are *sloooow* but they work!
>For just under $200, Go-Script comes with fonts emulating the original
>13 Laser-Writer typefaces, and for $200 more ($400 total) you get
>emulations (Bitstream) of all 35 current standard PostScript printer
>fonts.  If you happen to be fortunate enough to have a fast 286 or
>386 DOS machine, the processing speed should be tolerable for the home
>or "business on a budget".
>
>Go-Script supports the HP Deskjet and produces "laser quality" output
>(at least in my opinion).
>
>Don't get me wrong, a *real* PostScript printer is much more convenient,
>but Go-Script and F-O-P work and the price is right.

The combination of Go-Script and the Deskjet sounds perfect for my needs.
What worries me is that Go-Script is slow. How slow is slow? If a
page of graphics takes 1 minute to process and print on a real postscript
printer, how long will it take with an emulation program? The interpreter
must do a lot of floating-point work. Is a math-coprossesor supported.
How much will it speed up the process?

I understand the Deskjet printer supports level three of the
HP graphics language. Can I configure a desktop publishing
program such as Ventura or Pagemaker to support an HP Laser-Jet
printer and be able to print successfuly on the DeskJet?
Any information would be appretiated, as it is difficult to
get support from HP Canada.

Linas Dauksa (416) 588-4744

math-copro