[comp.text.desktop] Network Package

PER@PSUVM.BITNET (05/05/89)

We are looking to purchase a Desktop Publishing Package to use on our network,
but haven't decided which to buy.  We are using a variety of word processing
packages from DisplayWrite 4 to Word Perfect.  Currently we are running
MicroSoft Windows v1 - but our upgrading to Windows v2.03.  We've looked at
PageMaker and would like to look at Ventura.
When calling these companies and asked about network packages - our questions
are usually not answered.
Does anyone have any suggestions - or information on either of these packages?
Please reply to . . .

                   PER@PSUALT
                       or
                   PER@PSUVM

dougcc@csv.viccol.edu.au (Douglas Miller) (05/08/89)

In article <84894PER@PSUVM>, PER@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
> We are looking to purchase a Desktop Publishing Package to use on our network,
> but haven't decided which to buy.

Have you considered a structured authoring system such as LaTeX.  There are
strong arguments for use of such a system for producing documents such as
memos, reports, manuals, theses etc. that are ameniable to standardised
formats.  Conventional DTP systems are still large oriented to visual design,
so are better for ad hoc layout operations, such as in newspapers and similar
documents.