[comp.text.desktop] [nt]roff macros for Xerox XP-24

mike@nixba.UUCP (Mike Lyons) (05/04/89)

hello, I am looking for [nt]roff macros (-man -ms -mm -me) for the Xerox XP-24
laser printer. please e-mail

thanx in advance
-Mike

---
Michael D. Lyons 		phone: +49 911 6415 609
Nixdorf Computer AG 		fax:   +49 911 6415 105
Geschaeftstelle fuer BA 	e-mail: mike@nixba.uucp
Donaustrasse 36
D-8500 Nuernberg 60
Federal Republic of Germany

lfk@mbio.med.upenn.edu (Lee Kolakowski) (05/06/89)

In article <371@nixba.UUCP> mike@nixba.UUCP (Mike Lyons) writes:

> hello, I am looking for [nt]roff macros (-man -ms -mm -me) for the
> Xerox XP-24 laser printer. please e-mail

Macros are *not* specific for a particular laser printer.

Nroff output is translated by specific tables in /usr/lib/nterm

Otroff writes CAT output which must be translated by a specific
cat2xxx filter

Ditroff writes DiTroff output which must be translated by a dit2xxx
filter.

Adobe sells filters for postscript that are part of Transcript.
Perhaps you should contact Xerox about filters for your work.

--

Frank Kolakowski

|lfk@mbio.med.upenn.edu                 ||      Lee F. Kolakowski   |
|kolakowski@mscf.med.upenn.             ||	Univ. of Penna.     |
|c/o jes@eniac.seas.upenn.edu		||	Dept of Chemistry   |
|kolakowski@c.chem.upenn.edu		||	231 South 34th St.  |
|bcooperman.kolakowski@bionet-20.arpa	||	Phila, PA 19104     |
|AT&T:	1-215-898-2927			||--------------------------|
|#include <litigate.h>			||      One-Liner Here!     |

brown@astroatc.UUCP (Vidiot) (05/06/89)

In article <371@nixba.UUCP> mike@nixba.UUCP (Mike Lyons) writes:
<hello, I am looking for [nt]roff macros (-man -ms -mm -me) for the Xerox XP-24
<laser printer. please e-mail

Unless I am missing something here (after a few years use of these packages
and nroff and troff), the macro packages are NOT printer specific.  The
nroff program is designed for impact type printers, ie, dot matrix and
letter quality (daisy wheel, whatever) constant spaced characters.  The
troff program was initially programmed for the C/A/T phototypesetter, so
the stuff coming out of it if very specific to the printer.  Now there is
ditroff, which is device independent troff.  We don't have that here yet,
though we will soon.  With troff or ditroff, you need a post-processor to
massage the output to make it work with particular printers.  Adobe Systems
makes the Transcript program to take troff (ptroff) and ditroff (psroff)
output and convert it to PostScript, for those kinds of printers.

So, as I said, the macro package is device independent.  You need to spruce
up your troff program's output.  Nroff cannot be used with proportional
spaced laser printers, especially PostScript.
--
	        harvard\     att!nicmad\
Vidiot            ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!brown

root@cca.ucsf.edu (Systems Staff) (05/06/89)

In article <1873@astroatc.UUCP>, brown@astroatc.UUCP (Vidiot) writes:

> Nroff cannot be used with proportional
> spaced laser printers, especially PostScript.
> --

A little too strong here! We have done this for years using PS fonts
on the Xerox 2700. It is tedious to set up the character table and
needs a post-filter (at least the way I did it) but it certainly
works.

 Thos Sumner       (thos@cca.ucsf.edu)   BITNET:  thos@ucsfcca
 (The I.G.)        (...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!cca.ucsf!thos)

 U.S. Mail:  Thos Sumner, Computer Center, Rm U-76, UCSF
             San Francisco, CA 94143-0704

OS|2 -- an Operating System for puppets.

#include <disclaimer.std>

lee@puffin.uucp (Lee Moore) (05/09/89)

As others have said, troff should be pretty much independent of macros.
The only case that special macros need to be used is with 4.x troff.  In
this case, one needs to re-mount the standard fonts to get troff to read
the font metrics from disk.  That's only a four line file.

As an aside, the name XP-24 doesn't say very much because "XP-24" is just the
name of the marking device.  It accepts a video-like interface puts marks on
paper.  If you want to use it from a computer, a controller must be added to
determine how it will behave.  For example, the XP-24 can be packaged
with a certain controller to produce the Xerox 3700.  With a much
different controller, it is the Xerox 3700+ (which, despite the similarity
in name, does very different things).

Lee

Lee Moore -- Xerox Webster Research Center
UUCP:		{allegra, decvax, cmcl2, rutgers}!rochester!rocksanne!lee
Arpa Internet:	Moore.Wbst128@Xerox.Com
DDN:		+1 716 422 2496