[comp.text.desktop] Compressed face recommendations?

I'm looking for recommendations for Macintosh typefaces for a specific
application. I need something that can be printed on a laserwriter, is
decent looking and photocopiable at smaller sizes and fairly compressed.
This face would be used for a relatively short newsletter where reproduction
costs are a top priority, but we don't want to ship something that's
inexpensive but unreadable.

I'm currently using Times Roman as the best compromise for small (9pt)
faces, but I'm thinking something like Helvetica Compressed might allow me
to squeeze the text a little more. Any suggestions on how to get the most
text on the fewest pages without turning it into a useless document?

chuq

Chuq Von Rospach      =|=     Editor,OtherRealms     =|=     Member SFWA/ASFA
         chuq@apple.com   =|=  CI$: 73317,635  =|=  AppleLink: CHUQ
      [This is myself speaking. No company can control my thoughts.]

This is....The Voice....of USENET....in special English. 1300UTC on 11525.

briand@tekig4.LEN.TEK.COM (Brian Diehm) (05/19/89)

>I'm currently using Times Roman as the best compromise for small (9pt)
>faces, but I'm thinking something like Helvetica Compressed might allow me
>to squeeze the text a little more. Any suggestions on how to get the most
>text on the fewest pages without turning it into a useless document?
>
>chuq

Chuq -

     Helvetica Compressed is actually LESS compressed than plain N Helvetica
Narrow. The difference is that Helvetica Compressed is truly a designed
typeface, whereas N Helvetica Narrow is a mathematical compression of standard
Helvetica. It is done inside the LaserWriter by operating on Helvetica.

The Compressed looks more refined. Of course, Adobe recommends Compressed over
Narrow, both for Adobe profit ;-) and because a designed style always looks
better than a manipulated one.

--
-Brian Diehm
Tektronix, Inc.                (503) 627-3437         briand@tekig4.LEN.TEK.COM

john@trigraph.UUCP (John Chew) (05/19/89)

In article <30962@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>I'm currently using Times Roman as the best compromise for small (9pt)
>faces, but I'm thinking something like Helvetica Compressed might allow me
>to squeeze the text a little more. Any suggestions on how to get the most
>text on the fewest pages without turning it into a useless document?

While Helvetica Condensed or Helvetica Compressed are infinitely
more readable than that abhomination Helvetica Narrow, I still
find that reading large amounts of body text set in either makes
me wish that the cost-readability tradeoff had been pushed a bit
further toward higher readability.  They are condensed typefaces
and have a condensed appearance: they don't look like real typefaces
to me.

And though I dislike it in larger (>= 12 pt) sizes, there's nothing
like Lucida Sans for retention of readability at really tiny (<9 pt)
sizes.  I have put out a reference card in Lucida Sans 5/6 pt with
only a few obligatory remarks from its readers about microscopes.
I would suggest Lucida Sans 7/8 pt for the body text of a newsletter
where space is a main concern.  Lucida Sans Italic is also acceptable
at extremely small sizes, though the Bold and Bold Italic styles
suffer.  Beware too that the serifs on Lucida itself are not handled
very well at small sizes.

John

--
john j. chew, iii   		  phone: +1 416 425 3818     AppleLink: CDA0329
trigraph, inc., toronto, canada   {uunet!utai!utcsri,utgpu,utzoo}!trigraph!john