[comp.text.desktop] Word processor for heterogenous networks

yngla@majestix.ida.liu.se (Yngve Larsson) (05/31/89)

Do anyone know of any word processors in the style of "Word", "FrameMaker"
and "Publisher" that is usable in a heterogenous network mixing Suns and
MacIntoshes. That is,  a user should be able to edit any of his documents
regardless of the type of machine he/she currently uses.

Is there such a creature available? Preferably, they should have the
same user interface on both Macs and Suns, bbut even systems united by
a common internal format could be interesting.

Any pointers welcome!

				Advance thnx
						/Yngve Larsson

--
Yngve Larsson                               UUCP: ...mcvax!enea!liuida!yla
Dept of CIS                                       Internet: yla@ida.liu.se

chuck@melmac.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) (06/01/89)

In article <1272@majestix.ida.liu.se> yngla@majestix.ida.liu.se (Yngve Larsson) writes:
>Do anyone know of any word processors in the style of "Word", "FrameMaker"
>and "Publisher" that is usable in a heterogenous network mixing Suns and
>MacIntoshes. That is,  a user should be able to edit any of his documents
>regardless of the type of machine he/she currently uses.

     Well, you could connect Macs to a Sun network using TOPS, and use Frame
on the Suns and something else on the Macs.  Frame will let you read or write
any format you want (you might have to do some programming if a particular
filter doesn't already exist).

     Further out in the future, Frame will run on a Mac, so using this as
an interim solution makes for a nice upgrade path in the future.

Chuck Musciano			ARPA  : chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com
Harris Corporation 		Usenet: ...!uunet!x102a!trantor!chuck
PO Box 37, MS 3A/1912		AT&T  : (407) 727-6131
Melbourne, FL 32902		FAX   : (407) 727-{5118,5227,4004}

hwt@bnr-public.uucp (Henry Troup) (06/06/89)

It's expensive, but InterLeaf will run on Sun and Mac II.
utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!hwt%bnr-public | BNR is not 	| All that evil requires
hwt@bnr (BITNET/NETNORTH) 	     | responsible for 	| is that good men do
(613) 765-2337 (Voice)		     | my opinions	| nothing.