[comp.text.desktop] Typography--Was Re: ventura

maslak@unix.SRI.COM (Valerie Maslak) (05/25/89)

Sigh. We have complaints about the quality of
desktop publishing. Fonts. Resolution.

It's complicated. What will look decent as output from a
small copier will not fly on a Heidelberg press.
Most people who are doing newsletters or memos
don't want to be bothered with the niceties that produce
book publishing quality type.

So what can you do? Pick your typefaces carefully.
Times Roman or Computer Modern are never going to work as well
(in my opinion, I HATE Computer Modern) for heavy text as Baskerville,
Goudy Old Style, Century Old Style, and a few others, if the computer versions
of these are well-executed. There are thousands of fonts out there,
and not all of them work equally well for all applications.

Remember that kerning makes a big difference. If you don't have
kerning, your text will always be a kluge.

Remember that 300 dpi laser printers are never going to give you the
look of real phototypesetters (cold type) or hot type.
If you need phototypeset quality, find a service bureau that will
set your stuff from disk to a high-resolution output device.
An article I'm looking at here in Electronic Publishing and Printing
magazine says there are 500 Postscript service bureaus in the U.S.
And photocopying on copier quality paper is not going to look like
gravure or offset printing on book paper. Take your repro to a printer
if you want it to look printed.

Remember also that books used to be designed by professional designers,
who knew their trade. Are you a professional book designer? Do you know
the optimal proportions of type point size, line length, interline spacing,
marginal white space, intercolumn space, etc? Do you know which
combinations of heading font and text font work well together?
If you don't, and want to do your own publishing (composition),
you'd better get educated.  Find some good references on typograpy.

I'm sorry if I sound testy. It's just that I'm a publications
professional, an editor, and I'm awfully tired of engineers who
think they know as much as I do about publication design.
I don't try to design circuits or write programs; why do they think
they can design publications?

Valerie Maslak

>I'm sorry if I sound testy. It's just that I'm a publications
>professional, an editor, and I'm awfully tired of engineers who
>think they know as much as I do about publication design.
>I don't try to design circuits or write programs; why do they think
>they can design publications?

I want to attest to what Valerie says. Ever since the day I sat down and
said "I know, Toto! I'll publish a fanzine! No problem!" my life has been
somewhat dominated by trying to figure out how to make it look good. A
side-effect of this is that I now can't sit down with any publication, from
a fellow fanzine to Time magazine without analyzing the publication (sort of
like the writer's lament: you can no longer read for pleasure, because
you're looking at everything as a writer).

Being to a good degree self-taught in computers, and being completely
self-taught in graphic design, I can say this: programming is a lot easier
to pick up and be good at.

Don't think you can just grab Pagemaker and slug something through. I did.
Many others do -- and it shows. Not even that the design is bad,
necessarily: just that the design is inappropriate for the technology they
used. You don't use fountains on a laser printer, and you don't use a
Varityper on a fanzine that's going to be photocopied.

I've got four years (ack!) of OtherRealms that's sitting in a file that is a
classic testament to how much work needs to go into the design aspects, and
what happens when you don't know what you don't know. Typography is a set of
skills in and of itself -- and just because someone has pagemaker doesn't
mean they can handle it, any more than owning a C compiler let's you program
a Mac.

Chuq Von Rospach      =|=     Editor,OtherRealms     =|=     Member SFWA/ASFA
         chuq@apple.com   =|=  CI$: 73317,635  =|=  AppleLink: CHUQ
      [This is myself speaking. No company can control my thoughts.]

This is....The Voice....of USENET....in special English. 1300UTC on 11525.

calhoun@m.cs.uiuc.edu (05/26/89)

> /* ---------- "Typography--Was Re: ventura" ---------- */
> Remember also that books used to be designed by professional designers,
> who knew their trade. Are you a professional book designer? Do you know
> the optimal proportions of type point size, line length, interline spacing,
> marginal white space, intercolumn space, etc? Do you know which
> combinations of heading font and text font work well together?
> If you don't, and want to do your own publishing (composition),
> you'd better get educated.  Find some good references on typograpy.
>
> I'm sorry if I sound testy. It's just that I'm a publications
> professional, an editor, and I'm awfully tired of engineers who
> think they know as much as I do about publication design.
> I don't try to design circuits or write programs; why do they think
> they can design publications?
>
> Valerie Maslak

Your points about desktop puiblishing are well taken.   However, as a
former textbook typesetter, I've seen some pretty UGLY specs generated
by your "professional designers".  I have a hard time believing that
I could do worse than some of them.  Knowing what makes a good design
or a good computer program is as much (if not more) a matter of
experience as education.  I'm guessing you don't try to design circuits
or write programs because you've never taken an interest in it.  So
why knock those people taking an interest in your profession just for their
lack of experience.

---------
Jeff Calhoun
Dept of Computer Science, University of Illinois
Rm 222 Digital Computing Lab
1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, IL 61801

Internet, BITNET:  calhoun@cs.uiuc.edu
            UUCP:  {uunet,convex,pur-ee}!uiucuxc!uiucdcs!calhoun
         ARPANET:  calhoun%uiucdcs@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
           CSNET:    calhoun%uiucdcs@uiuc.csnet

>However, as a
>former textbook typesetter, I've seen some pretty UGLY specs generated
>by your "professional designers".  I have a hard time believing that
>I could do worse than some of them.

Definitely. Design/layout isn't an exact science. Sometimes people screw up.
Sometimes editors overrule the designers. Sometimes someone changes things
at the last minute.

A common thing in publishing is for an editor to tell the designer how many
signatures the book will use. This limits the number of pages that can be
printed, and if the manuscript doesn't fit, the designer gets to wedge it
in. Or you run four pages over in a 16 page signature -- forcing the
designer to either close things up to make room or use filler material in
the back.

Sometimes, you just screw up. I just got back new business cards today that
I designed. They're ugly. Some of that is because the printer
(Alphagraphics, whome I will *not* go back to) did a half-ass repro job --
and on top of that, decided to do some cutting and pasting, even though they
had camera ready art. They did *that* so poorly that I have a batch of
business cards that have my name on it and my wife's e-mail address. You
figure out how they could screw up that badly. (Needless, there were
adjustments made to the cost, but I won't touch them again for anything).

At the same time, however, I find I made some design decisions that I
thought would work and didn't. They're ugly -- even if they'd been reproed
properly they'd be ugly. So even though I thought I knew what I was doing,
when I was done, I found I was wrong.

That's life. Fortunately, it'll be easy to fix the cards and print new
batches. (I think). Sometimes, you don't get the opportunity to re-run the
job.

>Knowing what makes a good design
>or a good computer program is as much (if not more) a matter of
>experience as education.  I'm guessing you don't try to design circuits
>or write programs because you've never taken an interest in it.  So
>why knock those people taking an interest in your profession just for their
>lack of experience.

True. But there are a lot of people out there who seem to think they can
read the PageMaker manual and they're desktop publishers. There's a fairly
hefty learning curve out there. I don't laugh at the folks who are at the
low end of the learning curve -- I was there a few years back myself. I
laugh at the folks who don't want to believe a learning curve exists. I've
seen too many ludicrous documents to do otherwise.

Desktop publishing isn't a panacea. It's a tool. Use the tool, and you can
save yourself a lot of grief. Abuse it, and you relearn the realities of
Garbage In, Garbage Out.

howeird@hpwrce.HP.COM (Howard Stateman) (05/29/89)

/ hpwrce:comp.text.desktop / calhoun@m.cs.uiuc.edu /  8:26 am  May 26, 1989 /

> /* ---------- "Typography--Was Re: ventura" ---------- */
> Remember also that books used to be designed by professional designers,
> who knew their trade. Are you a professional book designer? Do you know
> the optimal proportions of type point size, line length, interline spacing,
> marginal white space, intercolumn space, etc? Do you know which
> combinations of heading font and text font work well together?
> If you don't, and want to do your own publishing (composition),
> you'd better get educated.  Find some good references on typograpy.
>
> I'm sorry if I sound testy. It's just that I'm a publications
> professional, an editor, and I'm awfully tired of engineers who
> think they know as much as I do about publication design.
> I don't try to design circuits or write programs; why do they think
> they can design publications?
>
> Valerie Maslak

I have a degree and 6 years' experience in publication design and
layout, and most of a degree, and 10 years' experience in computer
hardware repair. And now I support desktop publishing software for
a major computer manufacturer. I'll guarantee you that it was a LOT
easier to learn how to design a book than it was to learn how to
design a circuit. And your either/or attitude is way out of line,
since most engineers see publications by the ton, which means they
have gone through half the educational process for book design right
there. On the other hand, you probably have not seen nearly as many
circuit designs. That just means you haven't yet got the background
in their field that they have in yours. It doesn't mean you couldn't
learn.

Of course, there is a lot more objectivity to circuit design than
there is to book design. I needed to learn all about components and
manufacturing processes and materials to learn how to design a circuit,
as well as how to lay out the drawings and present them for publication.
But all I needed to learn to design a book were a few minor details
about the limitations of the press and bindery, what fonts
were available in what sizes and on which typesetting devices.
The rest were subjective "I know what I like" kinds of art decisions.

What I am saying, Valerie, is that your profession isn't a hard one
for an engineer to learn. Most of us who use DTP have already learned
it. Probably as well, or better, than most book designers. And I speak
from experience on that, not just idle speculation.

|Howard Stateman, Hewlett-Packard Response Center, Mountain View, CA |
|howeird@hpwrce.HP.COM      or     hplabs!hpwrce!howeird             |
|Disclaimer: I couldn't possibly speak for HP. I know too much.      |
|Sysop of the Anatomically Correct BBS (415) 364-3739                |

gjb@cs.brown.edu (Greg J. Brail) (05/30/89)

> True. But there are a lot of people out there who seem to think they can
> read the PageMaker manual and they're desktop publishers. There's a fairly
> hefty learning curve out there. I don't laugh at the folks who are at the
> low end of the learning curve -- I was there a few years back myself. I
> laugh at the folks who don't want to believe a learning curve exists. I've
> seen too many ludicrous documents to do otherwise.

Not only that, but I've found that people sometimes confuse the
ability to design and typeset pages on the computer with the ability
to "use PageMaker." There have been many occasions when people have
complimented me on my ability to deal with computers, but many fewer
times when people have told me they thought I was a good designer.
(And I don't think it's because they think I'm a bad designer. :-) )
It's just that many people think that they can learn PageMaker and
then be considered a "designer."

Also, when moving from traditional pasteup methods to PageMaker,
the kinds of things that look sloppy are totally different. At the
newspaper I work for here, PageMaker has all but eliminated crooked
lines of text and makes every box perfectly square and neat. But now,
people try to squeeze text into columns that are too narrow, leave too
much leading between lines of headlines leave boxes and text elements a
pixel or two away from the right place, and do other things that
didn't seem to be as much of a problem before. It seems errors of the
X-Acto knife have been replaced by errors of the mouse.

				-Greg
--------------------
Greg Brail
gjb@cs.brown.edu

amanda@intercon.UUCP (05/31/89)

In article <7650004@hpwrce.HP.COM>,
howeird@hpwrce.HP.COM (Howard Stateman) writes:
> But all I needed to learn to design a book were a few minor details
> about the limitations of the press and bindery, what fonts
> were available in what sizes and on which typesetting devices.
> The rest were subjective "I know what I like" kinds of art decisions.
>
> What I am saying, Valerie, is that your profession isn't a hard one
> for an engineer to learn. Most of us who use DTP have already learned
> it. Probably as well, or better, than most book designers. And I speak
> from experience on that, not just idle speculation.

[insert sound of head bonking against the wall here :-)]

There's a large gap between learning the basics of working with a printer
and professional publication design, Howard.  Getting something "workable"
isn't too hard, even though a lot of "DTP" newbies haven't even got that
much down.  However, this compares to professional design roughly the
way building an electronic project out of "Popular Electronics" compares
to laying out a 6-layer board with a weird form factor and 50MHz clock
signals running around it.  There's a difference between even an experienced
amateur and a professional, and with good reason.

Your books may well look pretty good ... up to a point.  Did you spend time
thinking about things like:

  - Text color and visual consistency;
  - Column and margin proportions;
  - Rivers and ladders in the text;
  - Ink flow on the press, especially if you had illustrations;
  - The visual resiliency of the typestyle you chose when it's used with a
    particular kind of printing technology;
  - How well your design fit the uses it would be put to by the readers;
  - Characteristics of how humans read and how they can be taken into
    account for more effective layout;

and so on.  Photographs and color separation require their own bodies
of knowledge, as well.

"DTP" systems, when used well, are very good at allowing people and
organizations to produce reasonable looking documents in a short period
of time and at a low cost.  This isn't all there is to the field, though,
and many of the problems people complain about with "DTP" are simply
lack of experience with the complexities of effective design.

I've had a lot of art training, and work with letterforms (modern and
historical) as a major hobby.  Even so, I tread very carefully with
book design.  With time and experimentation, I can come up with things
that look "real," but it's been a hard-won skill, and I'd still say I'm
in the "advanced amateur" category, despite having designed and produced
effective manuals, magazines, and advertisements.

Sometimes when I'm dealing with people doing "DTP," the phrase "knows just
enough to be dangerous" comes to mind :-).

--
Amanda Walker <amanda@intercon.UUCP>
InterCon Systems Corporation

briand@tekig4.LEN.TEK.COM (Brian Diehm) (05/31/89)

>> I'm sorry if I sound testy. It's just that I'm a publications
>> professional, an editor, and I'm awfully tired of engineers who
>> think they know as much as I do about publication design.
>>
>> Valerie Maslak

>And your either/or attitude is way out of line, since most engineers see
>publications by the ton, which means they have gone through half the
>educational process for book design right there.

>What I am saying, Valerie, is that your profession isn't a hard one
>for an engineer to learn. Most of us who use DTP have already learned
>it. Probably as well, or better, than most book designers. And I speak
>from experience on that, not just idle speculation.
>
> Howard Stateman

Howard, are you trying deliberately to be inflammatory or what? I understand
what you're saying, but it sounds pretty negative the way you put it.

Since we're all flapping about our credentials, I spent 17 years as as a
software engineer - I have software patents. I've spent about two years in
a publications group. I came into this group with a better-developed design
sense than most of the people in our group, and so I brought in a whole new
"look and feel" to our publications (at least from my division). The change
in publication value is enormous; our customer response has been more than
positive, the publications have won some awards, and a group of electronics
magazine editors volunteered the opinion that these manuals were the best
looking, most attractive manuals they had seen packaged with an industrial
instrument. I think I'm qualified to comment.

So, what is the upshot? Well, at some level, Howard is right. This discipline
is less difficult to learn than some others. On the other hand, Valerie has
EVERY RIGHT to be testy. What's the difference? Professionalism. There are
lazy engineers, there are lazy graphic designers and layout artists. Many of
the lazy ones in both professions seem to have the attitude that it should all
come without effort.

Howard, your statement that most engineers are "halfway there" simply because
they've been deluged with documents is a perfect example of this laziness. It
is an OUTRAGEOUS statement, and typifies the attitude that so offended Valerie.
It offends ME, damn it.

Exposure at the level you are citing is "subliminal" (to use the word
incorrectly), below the level of awareness. Oh sure, some things will make
more of an impact because they are well-designed, but the typical engineer is
a reader of content, and doesn't understand WHY some things are more effective
than others. Of course, if you point out to an engineer just how the reading
presentation manipulates his acceptance level, he will understand readily what
is going on. And some engineers will find this an interesting subject. I did,
that's one of many reasons I'm here. But not all engineers are going to know
or care, and not many are going to find it an interesting subject for study.
And the lazy engineers will simply use their ego to assure themselves that,
yeah, they heard about the subject once, so they're experts. (I claim as fact
at least 60% of all engineers have over-inflated egos.)

A perfect example occurred recently, when a couple of marketing people began
to develop a hard-hitting competitive newsletter for our sales force. They
were told by the marketing manager that our group would do the design and
layout. They decided on their own that they were going to play around with it.
They spent a lot of time on it, and got nowhere. THEY even admitted they got
nowhere.

I did a design, and a good one. Not a great one, a very solid good one - the
project didn't deserve full artistic treatment. They didn't like it, which was
just fine with me (trust me on that). Subsequent conversations brought out that
it wasn't the layout they didn't like, it was the lack of a fancy logo. OK,
let's do a logo for it. But then, they didn't understand that a logo conveys
image (other than the image of "professionally typeset") and that they needed
to decide what image they wanted to project. Well, we eventually got a logo,
and it's OK. So now they want to tweak with the layout again. EVERY SUGGESTION
THEY CAME UP WITH VIOLATED BASIC DESIGN PRINCIPLES. I was patient. I DID every
one of them so that they'd understand that it didn't work. THEY WERE UNABLE TO
SEE THAT IT DIDN'T WORK. So I explained the principles behind it all. They
weren't sure.

Every design professional in the area understood what I was going through. I
even checked back with other designers to make certain I wasn't missing some-
thing. No, it wasn't me. All designers go through this frustrating experience,
again and again.

The upshot of it was that they will use my layout, but they don't THINK they
like it - they're not sure. The primary problem is that they are frustrated
that they couldn't do it themselves (they're willing to admit that) and they
can't improve on my layout (they finally admitted that too.)

I'm willing to concede that the customer is right, and that somehow I haven't
connected with the "inner image" of what they want. In this sense, I have
failed them. But they also have in hand a viable vehicle for their newsletter,
which they didn't have beforehand, even after they'd tried. This has been a
real learning process for them, and they admit that too.

They were simply ignorant of the fact they were ignorant. This is the attitude
that Valerie is fighting.

When I hired software people, one of my best interview questions was this:

     Most interviews are the process of telling me what you know.
     Now I want you to tell me now what you DON'T know.

This one question stopped cold the arrogant and the ignorant alike. It would
filter out the real designers from the wanna-be designers. And the lazy from
those who care. Anybody can be a designer, even engineers. Hell, anybody can
DO almost anything! There are no sacred cows. All it takes is a lot of work.

--
-Brian Diehm
Tektronix, Inc.                (503) 627-3437         briand@tekig4.LEN.TEK.COM

maslak@unix.SRI.COM (Valerie Maslak) (06/01/89)

In article <7650004@hpwrce.HP.COM> howeird@hpwrce.HP.COM (Howard Stateman) writes:
>since most engineers see publications by the ton, which means they
>have gone through half the educational process for book design right
>there. On the other hand, you probably have not seen nearly as many
>circuit designs. That just means you haven't yet got the background
>in their field that they have in yours. It doesn't mean you couldn't
>learn.
Well, Howard, lemme tell you. I was married to a circuit designer,
one of the best, I might add, in the analog realm, and I've seen a
few circuits in my time.  But that, I think is really beside the
point. I've also seen a number of DaVincis and Picassos, and that
hasn't made me a painter. Mere exposure doesn't make an education.
I wasn't trying to make a point about circuit design being easier
or harder to learn than publishing. Why were you? See below.

>Of course, there is a lot more objectivity to circuit design than
>there is to book design. I needed to learn all about components and
>manufacturing processes and materials to learn how to design a circuit,
>as well as how to lay out the drawings and present them for publication.

You've described several separate aspects of electrical engineering
practice here. Nothing says all aspects have to be performed by the
same person. In fact, final drawings will be done by a technician or
a draftsman, not the engineer, in many cases, yes?
And the technician, not the engineer, will do the breadboard.
And the production line will turn it into a product.
See what I mean? Learning something about a task doesn't make you
the person best suited to do it really well.

>But all I needed to learn to design a book were a few minor details
>about the limitations of the press and bindery, what fonts
>were available in what sizes and on which typesetting devices.
>The rest were subjective "I know what I like" kinds of art decisions.

Yes, well, you're giving a perfect example of what I've been talking
about. Many of those "art" decisions aren't subjective at all;
they're based on objective measures of readability and retention.
They're based on aesthetics, and graphic design principles,
not personal preference. Most of those principles are just as
objective, in their own way, as Maxwell's laws. From what you say,
you learned ZILCH about publication design, and you think you know
all you need to know.  So you're what I call a danger.  You're one
of the people who may be designing publications but probably shouldn't be.

>What I am saying, Valerie, is that your profession isn't a hard one
>for an engineer to learn. Most of us who use DTP have already learned
>it. Probably as well, or better, than most book designers. And I speak
>from experience on that, not just idle speculation.

You haven't learned it, based on what you say here. You've learned
enough to MAYBE be a production coordinator. Typical technical
arrogance.

Let me give an example. A company I won't name was about to put out
its first advertisement. Two-page spread in all the big journals.
The fonts were fine. And the pasteup was all straight. The
engineering types who were in charge saw no problem.
Their motto was "the gold standard." They
were going to print the ad on silver paper.

If you're an engineer, and you deal with publications, do your
clients a favor, will you, and sign up for a decent graphic design course?
U.C. Santa Cruz has an excellent extension program. Funny, I think if
I wanted to be a circuit designer, goddess forbid, I'd enroll in
some classes myself...

Valerie Maslak

jwi@lzfme.att.com (Jim Winer @ AT&T, Middletown, NJ) (06/01/89)

In article <32294@sri-unix.SRI.COM>, maslak@unix.SRI.COM (Valerie Maslak) writes:
> In article <7650004@hpwrce.HP.COM> howeird@hpwrce.HP.COM (Howard Stateman) writes:
| |since most engineers see publications by the ton, which means they
| |have gone through half the educational process for book design right
| |there. On the other hand, you probably have not seen nearly as many
| |circuit designs. That just means you haven't yet got the background
| |in their field that they have in yours. It doesn't mean you couldn't
| |learn.
| Well, Howard, lemme tell you. I was married to a circuit designer,
| one of the best, I might add, in the analog realm, and I've seen a
| few circuits in my time.  But that, I think is really beside the
| point. I've also seen a number of DaVincis and Picassos, and that
| hasn't made me a painter. Mere exposure doesn't make an education.

Well, Howard, reading a bad book doesn't make you a good writer. If
you come from the UNIX/troff school, you have probably gotten used
to one of the worst default document designs ever to be perpetrated
upon the unsuspecting public. Troff uses 10 point times roman,
justified, with a 6-1/2 inch line length.
	1) Times Roman doesn't reproduce well on laser printers at
	   300 dpi. (Troff was intended for use with a typesetter.)
	2) Justified type is harder to read than ragged right.
	3) Optimum line length is 39-52 characters rather than the
           80 or so you get with 10 point TR in 6.5 inch lines.
	4) If you're writing for a European audience, sans serif
           type is easier to read. In the US, serif is easier. (It
           depends on what you were brought up on.)

| |Of course, there is a lot more objectivity to circuit design than
| |there is to book design. I needed to learn all about components and
| |manufacturing processes and materials to learn how to design a circuit,
| |as well as how to lay out the drawings and present them for publication.
|
| You've described several separate aspects of electrical engineering
| practice here. Nothing says all aspects have to be performed by the
| same person. In fact, final drawings will be done by a technician or
| a draftsman, not the engineer, in many cases, yes?
| And the technician, not the engineer, will do the breadboard.
| And the production line will turn it into a product.
| See what I mean? Learning something about a task doesn't make you
| the person best suited to do it really well.

Well Howard, since 25% or Americans are functionally illiterate, and
90% of Americans don't read (even though they apparently can), the
fact that you seem to be able to write in sentences and paragraphs
may indeed make you an expert at something -- but not at book
design. That also doesn't mean you have anything to say.

Your arrogant statement that there is a lot more objectivity to
circuit design than there is to book design is a good example of a
well constructed sentence without intelligent content. When I have
attempted to convince circuit designers that 10 point Times Roman on
a 6-1/2 inch line wasn't optimum for reading, they insisted that
their documents weren't *professional* unless they looked just like
the other documents they had seen. Isn't it interesting that high
tech professionals were more interested in conformity of appearance
than they were in communication of ideas? Do you suppose that they
didn't really have anything to say? The ability to copy bad designs
doesn't make you a good book designer or a good circuit designer.

| |But all I needed to learn to design a book were a few minor details
| |about the limitations of the press and bindery, what fonts
| |were available in what sizes and on which typesetting devices.
| |The rest were subjective "I know what I like" kinds of art decisions.
|
| Yes, well, you're giving a perfect example of what I've been talking
| about. Many of those "art" decisions aren't subjective at all;
| they're based on objective measures of readability and retention.
| They're based on aesthetics, and graphic design principles,
| not personal preference. Most of those principles are just as
| objective, in their own way, as Maxwell's laws. From what you say,
| you learned ZILCH about publication design, and you think you know
| all you need to know.  So you're what I call a danger.  You're one
| of the people who may be designing publications but probably shouldn't be.

Well Howard, I think you've missed a few minor details. Based on the
personality that's showing through your writing, I suspect that your
circuit designs often miss a few minor details too -- it goes with
the kind of personality that speaks with ignorance.

| |What I am saying, Valerie, is that your profession isn't a hard one
| |for an engineer to learn. Most of us who use DTP have already learned
| |it. Probably as well, or better, than most book designers. And I speak
| |from experience on that, not just idle speculation.
|
| You haven't learned it, based on what you say here. You've learned
| enough to MAYBE be a production coordinator. Typical technical
| arrogance.

Well Howard, based on my experience, you're one of the very few
people in the whole world who can write in sentences and
paragraphs. That indicates a well above average intelligence. You
ought to be smart enough to have some idea what you don't know.

| If you're an engineer, and you deal with publications, do your
| clients a favor, will you, and sign up for a decent graphic design course?
| U.C. Santa Cruz has an excellent extension program. Funny, I think if
| I wanted to be a circuit designer, goddess forbid, I'd enroll in
| some classes myself...
|
| Valerie Maslak

And Howard, you might consider a Dale Carnegie course as well.

Jim Winer ..!lzfme!jwi

I believe in absolute freedom of the press.
        Pax Probiscus!  Sturgeon's Law (Revised): 98.89%
        of everything is drek (1.11% is peanut butter).
        Rarely able to send an email reply sucessfully.
        The opinions expressed here are not necessarily
Those persons who advocate censorship offend my religion.

charly@Altos.COM (Charly Rhoades) (06/02/89)

 Valerie Maslak has written:

In article <7650004@hpwrce.HP.COM> howeird@hpwrce.HP.COM (Howard Stateman) responds thus:
>I have a degree and 6 years' experience in publication design and
>layout, and most of a degree, and 10 years' experience in computer
>hardware repair. And now I support desktop publishing software for
>a major computer manufacturer. I'll guarantee you that it was a LOT
>easier to learn how to design a book than it was to learn how to
>design a circuit.

Are we talking about which *you* thought was easier, document design or
circuit design?  I don't think so.  I think the point that Ms. Maslek is
making is that engineers should let pubs specialists do their jobs.  Nobody
doubts that engineers, whether experienced in pubs or not, think they can
do as good if not better job than the people paid to do it.  Since when
is this news?  And since when are documentors the only recipient of such
arrogant egotism??  Firmware designers scoff at systems people; developers
loathe testers; field servive engineers laugh at developers.  The only rallying
cry for these engineers is when they talk about marketeers or management.
Then they finally agree that all these people are bozos too!

My feeling after about ten years of dealing with the computer industry
is that this common attitude of engineers is symptomatic of the growing
technocratic society we live in.  As people are valued for their increasingly
narrow field of knowledge, they value less and less the common
skills that "anybody" can do.  Engineers are smugly confident that they
know the correct use of "which" or "that" since they have been using
these words in speech and writing nearly all their life.  Documentors are
just riding on the basic skills most of us have been using most of our lives.

> And your either/or attitude is way out of line,
>since most engineers see publications by the ton, which means they
>have gone through half the educational process for book design right
>there.

Yep, just show it to me and I *know* it.  I've been driving for over
ten years but I don't know beans about how a universal joint
*really* works.  Nor could (or would) I attempt to fix one -- or design
and build one from scratch.  Moreover, I respect the person who can!
I also know enough to know what I don't know.  Is it perhaps conceivable
that using a tool is not "half the educational process" for desgining
that tool (notwithstanding our attempts to build in "user-friendliness")?
Can you imagine the reaction if the tables were turned?  "As a ComputerLand
dealer for twenty years I've seen computers by the ton, which means I've
gone through half the educational process for designing them right there."
(Of course, it would be the same: scoffing disdain and ridicule.)

> On the other hand, you probably have not seen nearly as many
>circuit designs. That just means you haven't yet got the background
>in their field that they have in yours. It doesn't mean you couldn't
>learn.

Documentors I have worked with rarely treat an engineer's suggestion as
shabbily as engineers treat a documentor's suggestion.
Which is more likely to happen:  A writer follows the suggestion of an
engineer and makes the change in the book (e.g., a re-organization of
chapters or a new table), or the engineer follows the writer's
suggestion and makes the change in the program (e.g., a user prompt or
a help screen)?

>Of course, there is a lot more objectivity to circuit design than
>there is to book design. I needed to learn all about components and
>manufacturing processes and materials to learn how to design a circuit,
>as well as how to lay out the drawings and present them for publication.
>But all I needed to learn to design a book were a few minor details
>about the limitations of the press and bindery, what fonts
>were available in what sizes and on which typesetting devices.
>The rest were subjective "I know what I like" kinds of art decisions.
>
>What I am saying, Valerie, is that your profession isn't a hard one
>for an engineer to learn. Most of us who use DTP have already learned
>it. Probably as well, or better, than most book designers. And I speak
>from experience on that, not just idle speculation.

These paragraphs say it all--the inherent superiority of objective fields
of knowledge over subjective ones, "learn all about components and
manufacturing processes" vs. "all I needed to learn ... were a few minor
details," use equals knowledge (even mastery)...

As a personal note to Ms. Maslek and other documentation professionals in
the audience, I think Mr. Statemen's attitude is all too prevalent in the
computer industry, and I suspect in other technology-based industries
as well.  This is our obstacle as documentors of technical information,
our challenge.

While I fear I might have indulged my penchant for argumentative
dissection here, perhaps the best thing to do now is to turn
our thoughts to how best to work in this environment.  Mr. Statemen's
worth is as an object-lesson of the current state of affairs.  And while he
has made it clear that his suggestion to Ms. Maslek is to "get off your
hight horse; most engineers can design documents as well if not better
than documentation professionals," perhaps he (and similar minded
colleagues) could also provide some constructive comments.  Pray tell,
Mr. Statemen, what should we documentors do to improve our lot?
Learn how to program?

>|Howard Stateman, Hewlett-Packard Response Center, Mountain View, CA |
>|howeird@hpwrce.HP.COM      or     hplabs!hpwrce!howeird             |
>|Disclaimer: I couldn't possibly speak for HP. I know too much.      |
                                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Only your arrogance exceeds your vast knowledge.

Charly Rhoades
{pyramid|sun|amdahl}!altos86!eddie!crhoades
  If you know you have an unpleasant nature
  and dislike people, this is no obstacle to work.       J. G. Bennett

robert@hemingway.WEITEK.COM (Robert Plamondon) (06/03/89)

>>What I am saying, Valerie, is that your profession isn't a hard one
>>for an engineer to learn. Most of us who use DTP have already learned
>>it. Probably as well, or better, than most book designers. And I speak
>>from experience on that, not just idle speculation.
>>
>> Howard Stateman

I've heard that when T.E. Lawrence ("Lawrence of Arabia") went to
publish SEVEN PILLARS OF WISDOM,  he hand-set the book and re-wrote
large sections of it so the pages would come out aesthetically
pleasing.

Most people who use desktop publishing wouldn't be able to tell the
difference.

There is an arrogance held by many people that disciplines that they
haven't studied contain insufficient depth to WARRANT study: that
history, or engineering, or graphic design, or generalship, or
carpentery are all areas where a dilettante can hack together work
that is just as good as the best of them.

The term that best describes this state of mind is "blindness."

It turns out, if you look, that most disciplines that have
specialists NEED specialists.  If you don't understand why, you only
have a surface knowledge of the discipline.

I once watched a book designer design a data sheet format.  It was a
humbling experience.  The main thing it taught me was that everything
on the page affected everything else on the page, and that changing
one thing in isolation, without considering its effect on everything
around it was a sure way to bad design.

	-- Robert
--
    Robert Plamondon
    robert@weitek.COM

lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) (06/04/89)

From article <1368@lzfme.att.com>, by jwi@lzfme.att.com (Jim Winer @ AT&T, Middletown, NJ):
>	4) If you're writing for a European audience, sans serif
>           type is easier to read. In the US, serif is easier. (It
>           depends on what you were brought up on.)
>
>... circuit designers ... they insisted that
>their documents weren't *professional* unless they looked just like
>the other documents they had seen. Isn't it interesting that high
>tech professionals were more interested in conformity of appearance
>than they were in communication of ideas? ...

The principle that what is most legible depends on what you're used
to reading is known, but its application is apparently not understood.
Perhaps excessive concern with the esthetics of design erodes the
ability to make a cogent argument.

I am not schooled in book design, but I really don't see what special
expertise is involved.  I designed and printed one book and helped with
another, using TeX in both cases.  I just looked at some examples as
models for the first version, then screwed around with the formatting
parameters until it looked nice.  Being impressed with the advice
in the TeXbook that one should have the design done by a professional,
I took my drafts to the publisher and got comments and advice, which,
however, turned out to be quite trivial.  I doubt that book design
is even much of a craft, much less a science (as some seem to be
contending).
			Greg, lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

mouser@portia.Stanford.EDU (Michael Wang) (06/04/89)

Uh oh, here we go again!

In article <4058@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu>
           lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) states that:
> I am not schooled in book design, but I really don't see what special
> expertise is involved.  I designed and printed one book and helped with
> another, using TeX in both cases.  I just looked at some examples as
> models for the first version, then screwed around with the formatting
> parameters until it looked nice.  Being impressed with the advice
> in the TeXbook that one should have the design done by a professional,
> I took my drafts to the publisher and got comments and advice, which,
> however, turned out to be quite trivial.  I doubt that book design
> is even much of a craft, much less a science (as some seem to be
> contending).

Greg, just because in your one case you didn't find formatting a book very
difficult doesn't mean that anybody can do it, and that book design
is a simple task. There are a number of reasons why your argument
isn't convincing to me.

1) Just because your publisher didn't make any non-trivial recommendations
   doesn't mean that your book couldn't have used some changes. As other
   people have stated, there are many books being published now that have
   terrible designs; not all publishers (and designers) know what they
   are doing.

2) You had the advantage of using TeX, which takes care of many of the
   tasks a book designer normally has to worry about, like watching
   out for widows and orphans; making sure lines are being hyphenated
   properly (not too many hyphens in a row, etc.); making sure large
   chapter headings are properly kerned; using hyphens, en-dashes,
   em-dashes properly, substituting ligatures in the text where needed,
   etc., etc.

   Now it is great the TeX does all this stuff for you, but unless you
   fully understand what TeX is doing, you probably won't be able to
   apply these concepts outside of the TeX environment. For example, do
   you know how to properly space large words in all caps? This is
   actually a very difficult thing to do properly. Do you know what widows
   and orphans are?

3) Copying somebody else's formatting and ideas is a good way to learn
   about general design principles. But, unless you understand why the
   original designer made all those design decisions, you will never be
   anything more than an imitator, unable to solve design problems
   creatively and originally.

4) "...screwed around with the formatting...until it looked nice." That
   is a very interesting statement. Though I get the impression that
   you are good at picking out "nicely" designed documents from "poorly"
   designed documents, that doesn't mean that everybody can. I know people
   who think that a simple flyer to look "nice" should have 4 different
   typefaces in 2 or 3 styles each for a total of around 10 fonts. Now I
   know you wouldn't think so, but making the implicit generalization that
   everybody knows what a "nice" document should look like is, I feel is
   incorrect.

5) Book design is only one small area in the field of typography and
   graphic design. Just because book design seems simple to you doesn't
   mean that other areas are simple too. In one simple example, creating
   pages that contain multiple columns, I feel, is much more difficult than
   creating single column pages. I know you didn't imply this in your
   message, but since the dicussion has moved toward document design in
   general, I thought I would mention this point.

Finally as a disclaimer, let me say that I'm not a typographer or a graphic
designer. I am, like many other people, somebody who got interested in DTP
and have grown to enjoy producing "nice" looking pages from my computer.
However, unlike many other people, I have spent a lot of time learning about
typography and graphic design by reading, talking with experts in the field,
and taking classes. I feel that, though the basic knowledge about typography
campared to other fields (such as programming), may be easier to learn, to
be really good at it takes just as much time, effort, and skill.

-Michael Wang

+--------------+------------------------------------------------------------+
| Michael Wang | Stanford University, Stanford, CA  94305                   |
|--------------+------------------------------------------------------------|
| ARPAnet, BITNET, CSNET, Internet:  mouser@portia.stanford.edu             |
| UUCP:  ...decwrl!portia.stanford.edu!mouser          AppleLink:  ST0064   |

lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) (06/05/89)

From article <2706@portia.Stanford.EDU>, by mouser@portia.Stanford.EDU (Michael Wang):
" ...
"    Now it is great the TeX does all this stuff for you, but unless you
"    fully understand what TeX is doing, you probably won't be able to
"    apply these concepts outside of the TeX environment.

True.  So?  We were talking about whether technical folks can do a
decent job formatting their documents, weren't we?  Not whether they
know everything and can do everything that a professional designer
knows and can do.

"    For example, do
"    you know how to properly space large words in all caps? This is
"    actually a very difficult thing to do properly. Do you know what widows
"    and orphans are?

I don't know about spacing words in caps.  Tell me.  I do know about
widows and orphans.  Look, I wasn't saying you don't have to know
anything.  But reading a book or two will tell you about widows,
orphans, avoiding long lines, rivers, and stuff like that.  There's
just not that much to it.

" 3) Copying somebody else's formatting and ideas is a good way to learn
"    about general design principles. But, unless you understand why the
"    original designer made all those design decisions, you will never be
"    anything more than an imitator, unable to solve design problems
"    creatively and originally.

True.  So?  See above.  A technical document ought not to have an
original design.  It ought to be readable.  That means it ought to
look like other documents with similar subjects that readers have
seen.  Imitation is enough.

"    ... Now I
"    know you wouldn't think so, but making the implicit generalization that
"    everybody knows what a "nice" document should look like is, I feel is
"    incorrect.

I did not make such a generalization implicitly.  Producing a nice
document requires taste and the willingness to devote care and attention
to the task.  Not everyone can do it.  But some amateurs can do it,
I'm maintaining, for the special case of technical documents in
their own fields.

" 5) Book design is only one small area in the field of typography and
"    graphic design. Just because book design seems simple to you doesn't
"    mean that other areas are simple too. In one simple example, creating
"    pages that contain multiple columns, I feel, is much more difficult than
"    creating single column pages.  ...

The book I did had two columns per page.  What's the big deal?

			Greg, lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

mouser@portia.Stanford.EDU (Michael Wang) (06/05/89)

Boy isn't this discussion great!

In article <4062@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu>
           lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) writes:

> From article <2706@portia.Stanford.EDU>,
> by mouser@portia.Stanford.EDU > (Michael Wang):
>>    Now it is great the TeX does all this stuff for you, but unless you
>>    fully understand what TeX is doing, you probably won't be able to
>>    apply these concepts outside of the TeX environment.
>
> True.  So?  We were talking about whether technical folks can do a
> decent job formatting their documents, weren't we?  Not whether they
> know everything and can do everything that a professional designer
> knows and can do.

Well Greg, in your original article you made the statement that "I doubt
that book design is even much of a craft, much less a science (as some
seem to be contending)." I'm trying to contend that book design (and
typography in general) IS a craft, and, in some parts, a science.

I'm not arguing about whether or not technical folks can design pages; I
know many that can. What I am arguing is that typography is not as easy
as some technical people are trying to make it out to be. Since you seem
to be backing away from your original statement by stating that in the
"special case" some amateurs do a good job of producing technical documents,
I won't argue the point with you anymore since I agree with you on this point.

From what it sounds like, you have picked up the basic principles of
typographic design very quickly - and that's great; many people do. On the
other hand, many people pick up technical fields, like programming very
quickly. I thought myself BASIC in about a week when I was twelve, and Pascal
in about a month when I was sixteen. Does that make programming any less of a
"craft" or "science" since it was so easy for me? I think not.

-Michael Wang

+--------------+------------------------------------------------------------+

lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) (06/06/89)

From article <2733@portia.Stanford.EDU>, by mouser@portia.Stanford.EDU (Michael Wang):
" ... I thought myself BASIC in about a week when I was twelve, and Pascal
" in about a month when I was sixteen. Does that make programming any less of a
""craft" or "science" since it was so easy for me? I think not.

So who said programming was a science?

From the perspective of an amateur at both (me), programming and
computer typesetting (not book design) are good parallels.  An amateur
can reasonably expect to rival a professional in a limited domain of
interest, but will not be so facile or able to articulate what he does
or what needs to be done.

But you can't just "pick up" circuit design, I don't think.

			Greg, lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

>From the perspective of an amateur at both (me), programming and
>computer typesetting (not book design) are good parallels.  An amateur
>can reasonably expect to rival a professional in a limited domain of
>interest, but will not be so facile or able to articulate what he does
>or what needs to be done.

From the perspective of a professional computer person (11 years) and a
semi-professional publisher, let me just remind folks that it's really easy
to learn a programming language, but not nearly as easy to become a
professional programmer in it. There is a *big* difference between writing a
"hello world" or a few hacks for your own use and writing a CAD package that
gets sold on the open market.

It's the same in design. It's pretty easy to get the first 50% and be able
to lay out a book or a technical report that isn't ugly (these are, by the
way, the easy parts of graphic design). There's a big difference between
laying out a 50 page technical report and laying out a magazine, or an
advertisement, or any of the complicated projects. There is a big difference
between a publication who's design purpose is to not be so ugly people
notice it and a publication that is designed to attract and focus attention.

As long as all you're trying to do is not be ugly, graphic design is fairly
easy. It's when you take the next step that life gets interesting.

Chuq Von Rospach      =|=     Editor,OtherRealms     =|=     Member SFWA/ASFA
         chuq@apple.com   =|=  CI$: 73317,635  =|=  AppleLink: CHUQ
      [This is myself speaking. No company can control my thoughts.]

You are false data. Therefore I shall ignore you.

dfickes@bucsb.UUCP (David Fickes) (06/06/89)

Can we drop the flames and leave the engineers at home.  As a pub
professional (publisher), I have discovered man things.

1. Design can be easy.
2. Design can be a bear
3. Everyone has an opinion.
4. Most opinions are valid.
5. Two opinions are better than one but committees are worse.
6. The skill is knowing the elements.
7. Engineers tend to think they are always right.
8. Engineers have some of the ugliest resumes and newsletters on earth.

Every time I've discussed a design with a client, they usually respond
with amazement that so much thought goes into each element.  Documentation
design is easier than book design which is easier than magazine design (
a personal opinion primarily based on time schedules and variables).

The kicker is that I never claim any serious design skill and instead
rely on a series of designers who are trained to be good.  I usually
have a LOT of input but I customarily outline the project and then
suggest modification to the 5-10 concept ideas they come up with.

There are LOTS of ugly designs.  I'd suggest for a basic education that
you look at MIPS (pretty good but too tight of text) or HIPPOCRATES
which is excellent overall and consistently so each month.  Its not
the tools that make a good design but ability.  I have my own favorites
of course and most people have theirs but I find the dismissal of
the skills involved very short-sighted.

- david

David K. Fickes     				Expert Publishing Group
UUCP: ...harvard!bu-it!buphy!dfickes		33 Spruce Street
OTHERWISE: dfickes@buphy.bu.edu			Watertown, MA 02172
PHONE:	617/926-4158

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (06/06/89)

	I've been doing *roff for about 10 years now, only a few years less
than I've been writing programs and designing circuits.  Over the last few
years, I've been doing a lot of troff, and even some Mac-based word
processing.  I can turn out man pages as well as the next guy, or tech
reports, or scientific manuscripts.  I can even sound like I know what I'm
talking about when it comes to serifs and rag-right, and neat stuff like
that.  Does that mean I know anything about document design?  Not a chance.
And, from some of the really ugly textbooks I've seen, it's pretty obvious
that there are a lot of people just like me out there; the difference is
that they think they know what they are doing and have been able to
convince publishers to let them submit camera-ready copy and to hell with
the designers.  The results are often pretty horrible.

	A few years ago, I got involved with putting together our annual
report.  80 or so pages.  I did the technical end of it, setting up the
troff macros and stuff.  We had a designer do the actual design, however.
She worried about all sorts of stuff that never would have occurred to me.
Due to budget limitations, we do the masters on an Apple LaserWriter Plus.
That means 300-dpi resolution on regular xerox paper.  That limits the type
of fonts you can use.  It means you do the final printing on the kind of
paper which doesn't make the fuzzyness of the letters look bad.  That means
you have to pick from a certain set of inks.  That means you're limited in
the colors you can do the type in.  Which means you're limited in what
color to make the cover.  And the type of font changes how you lay out the
pages (not to mention that you're limited to the fonts available in a
LaserWriter Plus).  The original design was done in Helvetica and we
discovered that the LW's Helvetica wasn't quite like the Helvetica the
designer was using (some of the carefully-fit display type didn't fit
anymore and needed to be re-designed).

	The designer worred about keeping the page count to a multiple of
four.  About which stuff ended up on facing pages.  About keeping certain
pages on left- or right-hand pages.  Some sections were re-arranged to get
the handedness correct, and I think we even ended up with inserting blank
pages in stategic spots to get it to come out like she wanted (all the time
worrying about that magical multiple of 4 page count!)  And, every 4 pages
we added made it cost more.  And made it fatter; we did fold-over-and-
staple-through-the-fold binding; which starts to not work well somewhere
about 80 pages, the exact limit depends, of course, on the kind of stock
you use for the cover and on the kind of paper you use inside, which of
course depends on the resolution of the printer and the type of ink, etc.

	Actually, it was an interesting back-and-forth.  She did the
initial design specs (type sizes, column lengths and widths, hairlines,
underbars, all that neat stuff) and I sat down to turn it all into troff
macros.  When I went back to her with some sample pages which I thought
were pretty true to the specs, she tore them apart and I went back and
diddled the macros to get them closer.  Changes I had made because I
thought they were inconsequential turned out to have far-reaching
consequences.  Some stuff that she wanted to do just turned out to be
impossible to do in troff.  Eventually we came up with a design which
pleased her and was doable in troff.  The end result was a really good
looking report.  The design was flexible enough so that every year it can
change a little bit as needs dictate, and to keep each year's different
enough to be interesting yet still clearly the same style.  Had I done it
myself, it would have come out neat and clean and very ugly.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
{allegra,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu
"The connector is the network"

nazgul@apollo.COM (Kee Hinckley) (06/07/89)

In article <4062@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) writes:
>The book I did had two columns per page.  What's the big deal?

Hmmm.  Did you make sure that illustrations were at the top of the page?  Did
you line up the first letters mechanically, or adjust them according to the
balance of the characters (in other words, to appear in a vertical line a
capital "O" needs to be somewhat to the left, since the eye doesn't see the
left edge at the same location, say, as the left edge of an "E").  Did you
make sure that the bottom lines of pages opposite each other lined up exactly,
even if one might have had an image which caused the lines to drop a fraction
of a point size?  Did you take into account in any drawings that to make something
seem to be a circle you actually have to stretch it a little, since the human
eye sees things wider than they really are?

Those are some of the things you need to think about if you really want to want
to get things *right*, and I don't even really know anything about typesetting
other than that there are literally hundreds more tidbits like that, not counting
just straight esthetics, issues of which fonts to use, when to use serif or sans,
which can be combined and which cannot...

chuck@melmac.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) (06/07/89)

In article <4065@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) writes:
>So who said programming was a science?
>
>From the perspective of an amateur at both (me), programming and
>computer typesetting (not book design) are good parallels.  An amateur
>can reasonably expect to rival a professional in a limited domain of
>interest, but will not be so facile or able to articulate what he does
>or what needs to be done.

     I would place both programming and document design in the same category:
they are both an art.  Anyone can try to learn the basics of either, but only
a few people, with some in-born talent, will be good at either of them.  In
the same way that good book designers blanch and retch when they see some
terrible book, I gag and choke when I see bad code.

     I am co-editor of a newsletter here at Harris.  I know that my skills
at design and layout are middling.  On the floor below me is a real-life
artist.  We are always taking things to her and asking her opinion.  I am
always looking for advice from more experienced people.  Whenever I find a
dcoument I like or dislike, I try to determine what it is about the document
that caught my fancy.  I then try to apply the idea to documents that I
create.

     While this is somewhat off-subject, it has long been my contention that
not everyone is cut out to program, and that frankly, they should leave the
job to someone more suited.  At some point in any endeavor, you need to know
when to give up and turn to more capable people.  My standard rule of thumb
is that I won't try to fix the pipes in my house, if my plumber won't try
to write code.  Although I own a monkey wrench, I wouldn't dream of, say,
putting in a new shower stall.  In the same way, when you are producing a
document, at some point you need to punt and turn to someone else.

     Wasn't it Shakespeare who said "A copy of Ventura doth not a book
designer make"?

Chuck Musciano			ARPA  : chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com
Harris Corporation 		Usenet: ...!uunet!x102a!trantor!chuck
PO Box 37, MS 3A/1912		AT&T  : (407) 727-6131
Melbourne, FL 32902		FAX   : (407) 727-{5118,5227,4004}

lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) (06/07/89)

From article <3794@phri.UUCP>, by roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith):
" ... Actually, it was an interesting back-and-forth. ...
" When I went back to her with some sample pages which I thought
" were pretty true to the specs, she tore them apart and I went back ...

If you could take the trouble to tell more about that back-and-forth,
I think it would be useful to some of us.  Me, anyway.

From article <43acc9f9.1b147@apollo.COM>, by nazgul@apollo.COM (Kee Hinckley):
>In article <4062@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) writes:
>>The book I did had two columns per page.  What's the big deal?
>
>Hmmm.

Perhaps the following questions were to make a point and were not meant
to be answered.  But such issues of detail interest me, and so in hopes
of stimulating further discussion, I'll go ahead and make some
comment, anyhow.

>Did you make sure that illustrations were at the top of the page?  Did

It was a dictionary without illustrations.  Are you implying there is
a special rule about this for multi-column text?

>you line up the first letters mechanically, or adjust them according to the
>balance of the characters (in other words, to appear in a vertical line a
>capital "O" needs to be somewhat to the left, since the eye doesn't see the
>left edge at the same location, say, as the left edge of an "E").  Did you

Mechanically at the left of columns, and on the (justified) right I
allowed letters to protrude over a point past the margin.  I have seen
the issue you raise discussed with regard to design lettering, but I did
not know printers ever did this kind of justification for text.  In
regard to the right margin, well, there's a trade-off between how well
the lines can be broken and the size of such protrusion errors that are
allowed.  A dictionary has many short paragraphs and consequently
many paragraph-final lines that will not be justified.  Perhaps for
this reason the errors on the right seemed unnoticeable (to me).

>make sure that the bottom lines of pages opposite each other lined up exactly,

Essentially, once I realized that giving TeX just a little vertically
stretchable glue to play with between each pair of paragraphs would
allow over a line's worth of stretch for each column (because there
were so many paragraphs).  This allowed TeX to avoid widows and orphans
completely, too.  [But you're making a point about illustrations, I
know.]

>..., issues of which fonts to use, ...

I did drafts with each of the font families available to me, CMR and the
Adobe LW fonts, and chose the nicest looking.  Is that what I should have
done?  (Times-Roman worked best, CMR looked bad and made the line
breaking *really* difficult.) After fixing the column dimensions,I chose
the point size by increasing it until TeX (and I) had too many line
breaking problems, then backing it off a little.  Is that what the pros
do?  I wound up having to break a line by hand about once every 10 pages
in the 450 page dictionary.

There *might* be some things that amateurs do better than pros because
they know about special properties of a text and can afford to take
the time.  I wrote my own hyphenation routines for the non-English words
that allowed for the presence of reduplicated forms, which were common.
Would a publisher these days do that?  I doubt it.

			Greg, lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

jwi@lzfme.att.com (Jim Winer @ AT&T, Middletown, NJ) (06/08/89)

> > Jim Winer writes:
> >	4) If you're writing for a European audience, sans serif
> >           type is easier to read. In the US, serif is easier. (It
> >           depends on what you were brought up on.)
> >
> >... circuit designers ... they insisted that
> >their documents weren't *professional* unless they looked just like
> >the other documents they had seen. Isn't it interesting that high
> >tech professionals were more interested in conformity of appearance
> >than they were in communication of ideas? ...
>
> Greg Lee comments:
>
> The principle that what is most legible depends on what you're used
> to reading is known, but its application is apparently not understood.
> Perhaps excessive concern with the esthetics of design erodes the
> ability to make a cogent argument.

Jim Winer replies:

My apology. I forget that most engineers are used to 10 point Times
Roman created on a laser printer and then copied on the office
copier. The result is almost always broken letterforms (by the
second copy if not the first). Having spent all that time learning
to recognize broken letterforms, of course they now have difficulty
recognizing unbroken letterforms. By all means, give the engineers
the sh*t they are used to.

Greg Lee continues his comments:

> I am not schooled in book design, but I really don't see what special
> expertise is involved.  I designed and printed one book and helped with
> another, using TeX in both cases.  I just looked at some examples as
> models for the first version, then screwed around with the formatting
> parameters until it looked nice....

Jim Winer replies:

But were they good examples, or did you just duplicate more garbage?

Greg Lee continues his comments:

>                                ...Being impressed with the advice
> in the TeXbook that one should have the design done by a professional,
> I took my drafts to the publisher and got comments and advice, which,
> however, turned out to be quite trivial....

Jim Winer replies:

I wouldn't waste time with you either (this discussion is for the
net, not for you).

Greg Lee continues his comments:

> is even much of a craft, much less a science (as some seem to be
> contending).

Jim Winer replies:

Neither engineering nor book design is a science (leave that to
scientistss). Book design is not a craft -- engineering is a
craft. Book design is an art.

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (06/08/89)

lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) writes:
> If you could take the trouble to tell more about that back-and-forth,
> [between me, the troff hacker and her, the document designer] I think
> it would be useful to some of us.  Me, anyway.

	One thing that drove me crazy was getting the page numbers right.
She wanted them to be on the outside lower corner of the page, outside of
the normal text margins, with a hairline rule above them.  I was doing this
using the -me macro package as a base.  Provisions are made for even and
odd footers, so getting the "outside lower corner" right wasn't a problem,
but it turned out to be a bitch to get the overrules to come out right.
The first year, we punted on them and had them put in by hand (i.e.
somebody did "mechanicals").  Sometimes you just have to do kludges like
that to meet deadlines.  But, it turned out that the hairlines that the
mechanical guy could put in by hand wern't exactly the same thickness as
the hairlines my LaserWriter could produce.  Again, we punted and decided
that is was "close enough".  Personally, I couldn't tell the difference.

	Another problem we had was with the type size and leading
specifications.  Typographers specify type something along the lines of
10/12 x 14 which means 10 point type on 12 point spacing (i.e. 2 point
leading) on lines 14 picas long.  It turns out that the what the -me macros
do is instead of keeping track of the type size and line spacing, they keep
track of the type size and the ratio of the type size to the line spacing.
The (I think, misguided) idea is that as you change the type size, the line
spacing magicly changes in scale).  This may be convenient for computer
hacker types, but it doesn't jive with the traditional way that
typographers think and you end up with all sorts of strange round-off
errors.  Eventually, we had to settle on the line spacing that troff -me
could produce which was closest to what the designer wanted.

	Another problem which we found no good workaround to was that C/A/T
troff has a patheticly small set of fonts to work with.  You just can't do
bold italics (or, at least not that I can find out how).  Because of the
subject matter (microbiology), italics are used a lot (species name,
genetic markers, enzyme names, etc).  The document design called for
section titles to be in bold.  But what to do when a section title had an
italicized word in it (fairly common)?  The choices were to do bold roman
or unbold italic.  The former was more attractive but scientifically
incorrect.  We eventually settled on the latter.

	BTW, one interesting side note which really has nothing to do with
document design.  The head of each lab wrote a section describing their
work.  These sections were then combined with other text and assembled into
the complete report.  The people writing the individual lab sections had a
lot of trouble dealing with the discipline that goes with writing a part of
a whole.  There were stylistic decisions that were made and people had to
stick to; everything in third person, etc.  One decision that was made was
that the only people mentioned by name would be the lab heads.  This meant
you should say "Dr. foobar did such-and-such" even if the actual work was
done by somebody in Dr. foobar's lab.  One person insisted that the people
who did the actual work should get the credit by name, and wouldn't back
down when we told him that this wasn't really a scientific document, but
was being written for the lay-public and that stylistic uniformity was
paramount in this situation.  It got real ugly.

	Another problem was convincing people that page-count was
important.  Everybody was told to aim for X pages.  Some came in short,
some came in long.  A little variation was OK, but some were sent back with
instructions to "cut a half a page or we'll do it for you" (but nicely).
Some people just wouldn't listen and eventually we did have to do it for
them, often with a lot of screaming and yelling resulting.  Once everything
was assembled, people got galleys back for proofing, with instructions to
only look for typos, mispellings, missing words, and stuff like that.
Passages which had been badly garbled during the text-hacking process could
be fixed up, but only if they stayed about the same length.  Some people
came back with an extra half page of text, and got really pissed when we
told them "page layout is already locked up, you just *CAN'T* do this!"

	In once instance, somebody insisted on lots of fairly minor changes
all over his several pages of text.  Eventually, we gave in (it got *very*
ugly) and I told him to mark up his galleys and give them back to me.  He
insisted that he would rather just edit the files himself.  I explained to
him, as quietly and rationally as I could, that at this stage of the game
(i.e. final layout) the files were *mine*.  Nobody, right on up to the
chariman of the board, touched those files but me if they ever expected me
to work on them again.  They had been carefully proofed, spell-checked
several times, and run over again and again with a fine-tooth comb for all
sorts of things that this guy didn't know anything about.  We turned ascii
quotes into directed quotes.  Same for apostrophies.  We "did the right
thing" with stuff like primes, degree signs and scientific notation (turning
all the $ 3 X 10 sup 6 $ into $ 3 ^ times ^| 10 sup 6 $, where "times" give
you a real multiplication symbol instead of an "*", "x", or "X", with the
appropriate extra quarter-spaces to make it look better.  We got the
accents right on peoples names, got the little circles right for Angstrom
units, etc.  Fixed everybody's hyphens, dashes, and minus signs to be the
proper things.  Put hard spaces where they needed to be.  And so on.

	I tried to explain to this guy that if he would just take the
galleys and mark them up and give me the corrected hard copy, that would be
the best way for me to execute his changes.  But noooo.  He wanted to do it
himself and wouldn't listen to reason.  When I explained to him about all
the work that went into the files and that nobody could edit them but me
because only I knew every that was going on at this point, he got on his
high horse about how he knew what he was doing and "don't you trust me not
to mess it up".  When I told him that, quite frankly, I didn't, he really
got pissed!  Things got *very* *very* ugly.  Eventually, he refused to mark
up the galleys, insisted on giving me his version of the file.  Of course,
the file that he gave me was derived from the original file that he had
submitted weeks ago, many many editing sessions earlier, without benefit of
all my work to get the accents and quotes right, and the typos, and the
spelling checks, and.... but he didn't give a shit.  He just wanted to do
it his way, no matter how much extra work it made for other people.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
{allegra,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu
"The connector is the network"

mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (06/09/89)

I have a bunch of comments on the following posting. This comes
from my background as a Professor of Chemistry and frequent publisher.

When my name is associated with my work, {\Huge \em I} am
responsible for what is said. I'll happily take advice from copy-
editors from publishers, but >>I<< am responsible for the final result.

	>BTW, one interesting side note which really has nothing to do with
>document design.  The head of each lab wrote a section describing their
>work.  These sections were then combined with other text and assembled into
>the complete report.  The people writing the individual lab sections had a
>lot of trouble dealing with the discipline that goes with writing a part of
>a whole.  There were stylistic decisions that were made and people had to
>stick to; everything in third person, etc.  One decision that was made was
>that the only people mentioned by name would be the lab heads.  This meant
>you should say "Dr. foobar did such-and-such" even if the actual work was
>done by somebody in Dr. foobar's lab.  One person insisted that the people
>who did the actual work should get the credit by name, and wouldn't back
>down when we told him that this wasn't really a scientific document, but
>was being written for the lay-public and that stylistic uniformity was
>paramount in this situation.  It got real ugly.

If you say "Dr. Foobar did such-and-such", even if he didn't, think
of the legal implications: Say Dr. Swango did it instead. And it was a
fraud. Oh my!! Say Mr. McDonald (i.e. me) did it, and Dr. Foobar
won a Nobel Prize for the work. Not nice. Not nice at all. (Dr.
Foobar in fact mentioned me in the Nobel lecture.) The person who
insisted that credit be given to the correct people was right.
VERY right. VERY VERY right. IF you really refused to put in the
real people's names, you should have been summarily fired. What would
have happened if the person who did the work sued?

>	Another problem was convincing people that page-count was
>important.  Everybody was told to aim for X pages.  Some came in short,
>some came in long.  A little variation was OK, but some were sent back with
>instructions to "cut a half a page or we'll do it for you" (but nicely).
>Some people just wouldn't listen and eventually we did have to do it for
>them, often with a lot of screaming and yelling resulting.  Once everything
>was assembled, people got galleys back for proofing, with instructions to
>only look for typos, mispellings, missing words, and stuff like that.
>Passages which had been badly garbled during the text-hacking process could
>be fixed up, but only if they stayed about the same length.  Some people
>came back with an extra half page of text, and got really pissed when we
>told them "page layout is already locked up, you just *CAN'T* do this!"

You do have my sincere sympathy about this sort of problem.

--
>Roy Smith, Public Health Research Institute

Doug McDonald

alex@rata.vuw.ac.nz (Alex Heatley) (06/14/89)

>In article <litfl>, maslak@unix.SRI.COM (Valerie Maslak) writes:
>Well, Howard, reading a bad book doesn't make you a good writer. If
>you come from the UNIX/troff school, you have probably gotten used
>to one of the worst default document designs ever to be perpetrated
>upon the unsuspecting public. Troff uses 10 point times roman,
>justified, with a 6-1/2 inch line length.
>	1) Times Roman doesn't reproduce well on laser printers at
>	   300 dpi. (Troff was intended for use with a typesetter.)
>	2) Justified type is harder to read than ragged right.
>	3) Optimum line length is 39-52 characters rather than the
>           80 or so you get with 10 point TR in 6.5 inch lines.
>	4) If you're writing for a European audience, sans serif
>           type is easier to read. In the US, serif is easier. (It
>           depends on what you were brought up on.)

I'm not a professional typographer (I define typography as in the
following manner: "Anyone can draw lines on a page, art consists of
knowing where to put the lines -- anyone can place words on a page,
typography is knowing where to put the words"), but I do produce a
magazine and I do simple desktop publishing for people.

But I'm also cynical and I firmly believe that many publishing standards
are dictated by expediency rather than hard rational reasons. For
example: rules 2 and 3 quoted above.

2. Justified type is harder to read than than ragged right.

 Could someone cite a study giving this conclusion? All I've ever seen is
arguments along the lines of less eye movement with ragged right vs
arguments of constant eye speed with justified text. And when I look to
the publishing world -- the books I read are justified, the newspapers I
read are justified, many of the magazines I read are justified. To me this
results in several possible conclusions:

	a) Justified looks better and form is more important than content.
	   Hence everyone uses justified and to hell with readability.

	b) Most publishers/printers are incompetent if they can't even get
	   a simple thing like ragged right correct.

	c) It's not a hard and fast rule. Both justified and ragged right
	   are useful in certain situations and there is a set of heuristics
           to choose when to use one or the other.

I vote for option c.

3. Optimum line length is 39-52 characters.

Well I look again to publications, newspapers vary between 28 and 36 (from
my sampling), magazines are slightly better varying from 40 to 44 and
books vary from 60 to 90 characters to the line. Again you can draw
several conclusions...

For me, it seems that you have to look at the intention of your
publication. For example, newspapers exist to sell advertising, that is
their purpose, everything else is secondary. Thus advertising copy is of
the utmost importance. So you have short articles, in narrow columns to
give the maximum flexibility in wrapping the text around the ads. I've
talked to newspaper printers and they tell me that the ad copy is always
laid out first and the text mangled to fit around it. Again, you can make
all sorts of rationalisations about how narrow columns are easier to read,
how people prefer their news in short bursts, but the bottom line is that
in a newspaper the layout revolves around presenting ads.

Magazines are the next step in that the ad copy is still very important,
but there is a little more flexibility (competition is also important and
the intended market, compare Scientific American with the British Weekly
New Scientist and with the JACMs).

And so on. To me Typography does not consist of hard rules such as 40-60
characters to a line, ragged right instead of justified, multiple columns
are better than single columns. Typography consists of a set of design
principles and a sense of aesthetics. I have seen publications which apply
of the rules I've mentioned in this para and they still fail, because the
rules were applied mechanically without anyone looking at the aesthetics.

I feel that the two most important design principles in typography are
consistency and restraint (don't use more than two fonts per page
unless... don't change layouts midway through a publication, unless...)
once those principles are mastered, you can go on to more complicated
concerns such as serif is easier for US audiences to read (what do you do
if you're publishing an international magazine like BYTE? Serif or
Sans-serif?)

Having said all that, I'm prepared to be wrong. This is my analysis based
on looking to the printed things I encounter every day. Newspapers have
been around for well over a hundred years, one would think their design
principles are fairly well known by now. Likewise for books. I'd like to
hear, through this forum from people who can offer good reasons for hard
rules, I'd like to hear from people who disagree with my analysis, I want
to learn -- if I'm wrong then I'd like to learn where I'm wrong.

And most of all I'd like to hear about the sets of design principles that
others use. A sense of aesthetics on the other hand... well can aesthetics
be learned or are they innate?

Alex Heatley                                Computing Services Centre
Domain: alex@rata.vuw.ac.nz                 Victoria University of Wellington
Trolls can often be found under bridges ... or in Computing Departments.

aden@orion.UUCP (Michael Aden) (06/22/89)

In article <1989Jun14.000700.27327@comp.vuw.ac.nz> alex@rata.vuw.ac.nz (Alex Heatley) writes:
>2. Justified type is harder to read than than ragged right.

If I might add an explanation for justification as I see it,
the ragged right is a distraction while reading, so I have a hard time
going from line to line without drifting back and forth between lines.
That would explain (to me at least) why one of the few places ragged text
works is in bullet lists with isolation space around the text.

But then again, maybe I should stick to plumbing - I think installing
shower stalls is a piece of cake! :-)

{sun,pyramid,vsi1,uunet}!versatc!aden
"I sure hope this doesn't appear twice."
"I sure hope this doesn't appear twice."